Okay Bedrock Fans - Force Rank the Heritage Wines!

For me, it’s
First Growth: Bedrock, Old Hill, Monte Rosso
Second Growth: Nervo, Lorenzo’s, Dolinsek, Esola, Papera, Pagani
Third Growth: Most of the rest
Fourth Growth: Pato, Schmiedt Rd

I really think nervo is underrated, but needs to be treated like old school Bordeaux - start drinking at age 15 or so. Lorenzo’s too.

09 is really, really good…but it is honestly still a BEAST of a wine! I posted on Insta a few months back about it being massively structured with a long life ahead, and Chris commented about drinking through 2050+. I completely agree.

Ahhh, good call on Puccini not being a heritage. Still such a treat when you opened that 2011. Had to have been wine of the day next to some great bottles.

You’re probably right on Nervo Vince. I should have hung onto a few for the long-haul

This is my list as well. My top three would be:

1. Bedrock
  2. Monte Rosso
  3. Pagani

This. Though I still don’t quite understand the hype about Evangelho. The story is cool though.

I agree on Evangelho, but someone told me I was just drinking them too young. I have a couple 17-18 saved to try at the 5 year mark to see if it changes my mind. The D&R Evangelho Mourvèdre is killer good though.

My top three are Bedrock, Pagani, and Lorenzo, but I haven’t yet had a couple of these (Old Hill and Dolinsek). Bedrock and Pagani are consistently great, and I enjoy the big Petite Sirah energy in the Lorenzo.

Also agree here; young Bedrock Evangelho hasn’t done much for me, but other Evangehlo Mourvedre has, including the ridiculous $15/bottle Becheur Mouvedre.

If I was ranking based on personal preference, versus what I think makes sense from a general, relatively objective ranking, I would have done the following:

First tier: Old Hill, Monte Rosso, Evangelho, Teldeschi/Lorenzo’s

Second tier: Pagani, Dolinsek, Oakville Farmhouse

Then the rest. Where some folks struggle with Evangelho, I have a hard time with Bedrock.

I have to admit that I’m surprised at how polarizing Evangelho is. People either love it or put it near the bottom of the Bedrock bottlings.

It is curious. I loved the first Bedrock Evangelho so much I started a thread about it here:

I’ve bought it every year since. I haven’t opened the last few vintages yet, but I have yet to be moved like that first experience. I suspect that initial blend was very different than subsequent years, perhaps more Mourvèdre? In general, 2011 isn’t a vintage I rate above most others.

Bedrock
Enz
Pato
Pagani
Dolinsek
Under the Mountain.
Papera

I see several listed Monte Rosso, Old Hill, Aren’t they SVD’s and not heritage field blends?

Old hill is definitely a field blend, with 30 different varieties. Monte Rosso I guess is designated Zinfandel, although it has small quantities of a couple other grapes… but I think it’s the fact that the vines are 130+ years old that people are talking about it as a “heritage wine”, not necessarily a heritage blend.

You are right about Old Hill. I was just using the naming as posted on CT and applied by Morgan. Some are Heirloom/Heritage and some are not.

Bedrock “Carlisle Vineyard” is really good.

The Evangelho discussion is interesting - I’ve had a few that have been insanely good, others are more like run of the mill decent zin from a good producer. Those times it’s good wine for sure, but nothing that has made me go “wow!” I wonder if the blend has changed a few times or if that vineyard is particularly sensitive to vintage variations?

::^^this^^button::

I had the same experience with Monte Rosso. The ‘10 was from another planet. Every one I have had since are “good”, but not approaching that ‘10.

We each have wines that hit a “sweet spot” for us. It wouldn’t be as much fun if there was just one wine we were all chasing.

1 Like

For me:

Bedrock
Evangelho
Pato
Oakville
Monte Rosso

In no particular order