Official Costco Thread

I think DWade is making some Cab with Bedrock vineyard as well

2 Likes

I bought 6 bottles of that 18 Monsanto too (after buying one and tasting) at the Boca store. Have not seen the Clos Marsalette but will look next time. (We also get tons of Caymus/Conundrum etc )

3 Likes

I have always found the Monsanto really a solid wine.

4 Likes

It’s sometimes seems a bit chemical to me

4 Likes

I’m enjoying the 2018 Basilica Cafaggio Chianti Classico Riserva they has a 19.99. My local store just reloaded and I’m probably going back for more. It’s the Basilica Cafaggio, rather than the Villa Cafaggio. Is anyone familar with the difference between the two bottlings? I believe it’s the same ownership

They’re the same owners but Villa Cafaggio (website) is a separate lower-end brand from Cafaggio (website).

Villa Caffagio has a Chianti Classico and a CCR.

The higher-end Cafaggio also has a Chianti Classico and a CCR.

Apart from those, the same higher-end Cafaggio has two other Sangiovese-based wines which used to be CCR but are now Chianti Classico Gran Selezione. Those are the only two Sangiovese-based bottlings that now use the word Basilica (the other two are Cabs). They are the Cafaggio Basilica Solatio CCGS and the Cafaggio Basilica San Martino CCGS (unlike the others, this one is not 100% Sangiovese).

That Cafaggio Basilica San Martino CCGS is not to be confused with the Villa Cafaggio San Martino which is 100% Sangiovese but is bottled as Toscana IGT.

Cafaggio’s needlessly confusing naming was one of the highlights in my post on missing wines in Wine-Searcher.

2 Likes

I knew there was an expert in the midst. :+1:

3 Likes

Me too! This 2019 was $21.99 at my Costco. A couple years ago, I bought the 2015 (same bottling) for $17.99 and still have 3 left.

I haven’t checked lots of locations, but sometimes I go to the Brookhaven one and they have a nice selection that I like to walk through and usually grab a bottle or two. They’ve also got liquor for sale but it’s in a separate, self-contained room that you can’t enter from the main Costco; go to an entrance just to the side for nothing but liquor sales. If you find a good tip on any other locations, please report back here. Thanks!

1 Like

At #471 today

this is vintage 2020

price chopped!

2016 vintage

2018 vintage, have not seen this red Graves at my location before

another price chop, 2018 vintage, this has been lingering here a long time

5 Likes

Interesting, my Costco has the 2019 Croix for $38.99. Maybe they are trying to make room for that. Even at equal price though I would still buy the 2019 over the 2018.

1 Like

If my Costco had the 2019 Croix for $39, I would buy it all.

3 Likes

You’re more of a Dow guy, aren’t you.

2 Likes

I do like a good Port!

2 Likes

Do you ever drink Champagne?

1 Like

I got one to try and immediately went back for 6 more. Debating whether I should double that. Interestingly, it’s been there for a few weeks. We are in the middle of nowhere MI and the only things that sell are Cali cabs.

1 Like

This price is absolutely absurd. Wow.

2 Likes

My Costco is literally store #1, and our selection ranges from pretty decent to a waste of time depending on time of year.

1 Like

Sadly, I think all the ducru in the bay area are gone months ago.

3 Likes

I also bought a Ribera Del Duero at Naples Costco $ 20

Tempranillo Ribera del Duero 12 Linajes Reserva 2014

Just opened it and nice wine for the coin, ready to drink.

1 Like