Offer Closed - Thank you! - SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAIN VINEYARD; Library Wines; Discounted Sample Packs; FREE SHIPPING

Hello! Welcome to our Berserker Day offers! We’ve been around since 1975 making food friendly, cellar-worthy Pinot Noir from the Santa Cruz Mountains, and this is our first time participating in Berserker Day! We are so excited to be here and to get to know this community. Below is a listing of our offerings and deals for the day, followed by a bit of our history and a get-to-know-us. Thank you so much for checking us out.

Buying/Shipping Details

• FREE SHIPPING

• Every item has already has the price reduced in our shopping cart system. You only need a discount code for the Free Shipping

Buy in California - Use THIS LINK

Buy outside of California - Use THIS LINK

• We can ship within the US except to the following states: AK, AL, AR, CT, DE, HI, MI, MS, MT, NJ, RI, SD, UT
    (We actually CAN ship to AK and HI, but it’s very expensive so the free shipping offer doesn’t apply.)
  • Of course you are always welcome to pick up your purchases at the winery

Here’s the list of Berserker Day offers!

Starting with offers that include older wines - scroll down for current release sample 4 packs.

2012 and 2013 Vine Hill Reserve Pinot Noir, current release & preview

$120, down from $150 with 20% discount, free shipping:
Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard has been making Pinot Noir from the historic Vine Hill District of the Santa Cruz Mountains since 1975. In years that we think we have great quality, we go through and pick out a handful of our very favorite barrels from each of the two vineyards we work with from the Vine Hill District and release it at least five years from the vintage, to give it more time to develop in the bottle. These Pinots are built for aging, and can be cellared for up to four decades. Try our current 2012 vintage along with our yet unreleased 2013, for a special Berserker day exclusive preview treat.

Luchessi Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2 Pack, Library and Current Release

$120 Special Offer Price, free shipping:

- 2015 Luchessi Cabernet Sauvignon (13.2% ABV): From our library, a wine that was poured by the glass at La BernadÍn in Manhattan for over a year!

- 2017 Luchessi Cabernet Sauvignon (13.0% ABV): Our current release

The Luchessi Vineyard is a perfect example of a rough and rugged mountain vineyard that produces wine with tons of character. It was planted in 1981 on a very steep hillside on the east side of the Santa Cruz Mountains, just northeast of Montebello Ridge. Due to the steepness of the site, it’s an old-fashioned vineyard with head-trained vines, no trellis wires, and no irrigation. Forget everything you know about Cab Sauv from a Napa perspective. This one is deeper, juicer, and more rustic, with notes of anise, vanilla, chaparral herbs, black olives, and chocolate. The green olive notes in this wine settle down to tobacco and cedar as it ages. Cellar both of these wines for at least another decade, or enjoy them as a comparison across vintages now.

Library Vertical of Durif (aka Petite Sirah) Three Pack, 2012 - 2013 - 2014 Vintages

$120, down from $150 with 20% discount, free shipping:
Durif is the true French name for what is incorrectly called Petite Sirah in the U.S. We make ours in an especially Old-world style, emphasizing pepper, spice, and brambly savoriness. Build for longer aging than our regular release “Petite Sirah” labeled as such, we’re offering a 12-13-14 library vertical of this unique wine for a chance to see how this variety can develop over time. A very rare example of this variety from the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA.

Durif blank

FOUR PACK SAMPLER OFFERS:

Santa Cruz Mountains Pack

$172, down from $215 after 20% discount, free shipping:

• 2015 Branciforte Creek Pinot Noir - 14% ABV: From a vineyard just a mile away from our former Estate Vineyard on Jarvis Rd. in the Santa Cruz Mountains, this Pinot shows rich complexity year after year. The 2015 vintage has deep black cherry with many layers of savory and spicy complexities. This is a Pinot that can be cellared for three or four decades.
  • 2019 Zayante Syrah - 13.2% ABV: 100% whole berry fermentation, no stems. This is an old world style Syrah, akin to what you might find in northern Rhone. It shows classic Syrah wood smoke and bacon character behind deep, dark, black fruit and some hints of pepper. This Syrah in a nutshell: woody, earthy, spicy, deep dark plum fruit, with satisfying, chewy tannins. (91 points - Wine Enthusiast, “Editor’s Choice”)
  • 2012 Vine Hill Reserve Pinot Noir - 13.2% ABV: In years that we think we have great quality, we go through and pick out a handful of our very favorite barrels from each of the two vineyards we work with from the Vine Hill District and release it at least five years from the vintage, to give it more time to develop in the bottle. This wine is built for aging, and can be cellared up to four decades. (91 Points - Wine Advocate)
  • 2017 Luchessi Cabernet Sauvignon - 13% ABV: The Luchessi vineyard was planted in 1981 on a very steep hillside on the east side of the Santa Cruz Mountains, just northeast of Montebello Ridge. Due to the steepness of the site, its an old fashioned vineyard with head trained vines, no trellis wires, and no irrigation. This wine has notes of anise, vanilla, chaparral herbs, black olives, and chocolate. It will cellar for two to three decades if properly stored.

Cold Pack

Three whites, one rosé - $80 Special Offer Price, free shipping:
All of these wines are done in stainless steel, bright and crisp food wines with great acidity

• 2021 Albariño - 12.5% ABV: Albariño originates from the border of northeastern Spain and northern Portugal. It produces wine with lively acidity, even when grown in warmer climates. Ours is wonderfully minerally, crisp, and aromatic, with fruit and flower esters in both taste and aroma.
  • 2021 Grenache Rosé - 12.5% ABV: To make this dry, pink wine we crush all the Grenache fruit into fermenters for making our red Grenache. By the second day soaking on the skins, the juice has enough color and flavor for us to pump off about 25% and ferment it seperately as our Grenache rosé. This wine has bright strawberry fruitiness as well as a hint of classic Grenache white pepper.
  • 2021 Chenin Blanc - 12.4% ABV: This is our first time working with Chenin Blanc and its quickly becoming one of the whites we are most excited about. Aged in stainless steel like all of our whites, it has classic Chenin characters of quince, green apple, honey, dry straw, and savory nuttiness.
  • 2020 Grenache Blanc - 12.5% ABV: A variety grown widely in both Spain and Southern France. Ours is both tart and rich at the same time, made from organically grown grapes. Flavors of ripe peach, mandarin orange, and some floral elements.

Cold Pack - corrected sm

The “Portuguese Pack”

From our sister brand: Quinta Cruz. A four pack of Portuguese Varieties grown in California. Totally different than the “usual” varieties
$99 Special Offer Price, free shipping

• 2016 Castelão - 13.2% ABV: Among the most widely planted grapes in Portugal, this variety is scarcely seen in the US. It has similar subtle complexity and nuance like a Pinot Noir, but with its own unique aroma and flavor profile - raspberry, plum, gooseberry, and tar.
  • 2014 Souzão - 12.5% ABV: Souzão is a dark-skinned Portugese variety which originated in the north of the Vinho Verde DOC. It’s famous for its biting acidity and dark, opaque color. Ours has aromas and flavors like nothing you have ever had in red wine before - very deep berries, earth, tar, anise, and floral elements.
  • 2019 Touriga - 12.5% ABV: Our Touriga is actually a blend of two varieties: Touriga Nacional (64%) and Touriga Franca (36%). Being relatively little-known varieties in the states, US labeling laws only recognize the term “Touriga”. Both varieties lend themselves to beautiful aromatics; think perfumed florals, red fruits, damp earth after rain, and deep coffee/chocolate notes. Our 2019 Touriga makes us think of coffee and rose petals.
  • 2020 Arinto - 12% ABV: Arinto is one of the common white varieties used in the Vinho Verde and Azores regions of Portugal. It produces wines with lively acidity, strong minerality, and notes of apple, lime, and lemon. Arinto is one of the few white wines with the ability to age seven or more years, and even takes on some of the rich “machine oil” characteristics found in an aged Riesling.

Feel free to email with any questions or issues, I’ll be standing by on the Big Day

jeff@santacruzmountainvineyard.com

** History of Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard **

Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard was founded in the 1970’s by a man named Ken Burnap. He had a passion for Pinot Noir that led him on a journey to discover the best location in California to produce Pinot Noir that would be equal to that of Burgundy. After a lot of searching, he settled on the Santa Cruz Mountains. When he discovered that his ideal Pinot location was a plot of land currently for sale, he couldn’t resist (decision making aided by a bottle of celebratory champagne). In 1975, Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard’s first vintage of Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir was released (a wine that is still drinking beautifully out of our cellar today). In 1979 Ken hired our current winemaker, Jeff Emery (age 20 at the time), to help with cellar work and vineyard management. An old school apprenticeship was established and Ken and Jeff worked together for 25 years until Ken’s retirement. At that point, Jeff found he couldn’t possibly get a “real job”, thus he took over the brand in 2004.

Read the Full history on our website

LIBRARY WINES
We just released a set of what we call “mid-aged” Library wines. These range from the late 1990’s to mid 2000’s. If you’d like a list of the offerings please send us an email. info@santacruzmountainvineyard.com

We’d love to connect! You can see what we’re up to by following our Instagram, checking out our website, or signing up for our infrequent newsletter (signup at the bottom of our homepage).

3 Likes

Glad you’re here, because the Zin I had from you (thanks JP Lynch for sending!), was spectacular! I’ll be buying!

Thanks Adam! JP Lynch is one of the fine folks who encouraged me to join this fun madness this year.

2 Likes

I’m proud to be part of the SCM wine club. Great people, a treat to visit, and enjoyable and interesting wines. While not part of this offer, I always look forward to the Zins and Tempranillos.

In for the Durif and looking forward to adding the Vine Hill PN Reserve to my next wine club shipment.

1 Like

Thanks for the support Patrick! And you are a big reason why I’m on this forum today. Thanks for pestering me about becoming a Berserker!

1 Like

Yum… Love me some SCMV. Been a club member for a while. great to see an offer

3 Likes

A word of advice to all. Don’t pass by the Quinta Cruz selection. Those wines are excellent.

1 Like

That punchdown picture looks like a giant phonograph record. Still looking through the offer, but couldn’t resist that picture!

1 Like

Yep. That’s how we did it in the old days. That’s a much younger me when I still had color in my hair. That fermenter was waaaay too full and I had to keep creating a relief hole in the center to keep it from spilling out. I’d guess this was circa 1995. That was around six and a half tons of, if memory serves, Merlot. I still have that tank in my current winery, but try to never use it unless we really run out of room. Much easier to punch down the “one ton” Macro fermentation bins. Especially as I ain’t as young anymore! @AKuehn

2 Likes

Thanks for the endorsement @mmarcellus. We have a lot of fun with Quinta Cruz, getting to play with varieties that are completely unlike the ones we are all more familiar with from mostly France. Fortunately there are a few growers out there that I say are either crazy enough or visionary enough to be planting these Iberian varieties so that we get to work with them. My biggest source is Pierce Ranch, in the San Antonio Valley AVA of southwest Monterey County. Super nice folks, and they have their own brand and tasting room in Monterey.

2 Likes

I met Jeff last May while I was visiting our son, daughter-in-law and grandson in Santa Cruz. We had a wonderful experience, and my kids gave me wine from Jeff for Christmas. Beautiful wines. Best of luck during BD 14, Jeff. Cheers! David Ulbricht - SchöneTal Cellars.

1 Like

This is cool, I had an early 80s vintage of the Durif at Bern’s a few years back. It was incredible.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that. It’s amazing how many folks still tell me they found one of the old Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard wines at Bern’s. I have an early copy of Bern’s wine list when he was first creating all the maps for the wine regions. Bern couldn’t find any maps of European vineyard areas that he liked at the time so he created them! He sent an early copy of the wine list to Ken Burnap, our founder, to proof it, and I still have all that correspondence. Even then the wine list was the size of a large city phone book.

2 Likes

Great to see you here Jeff. I’m tempted by that Luchessi - one of the most beautiful Cabernet Vineyards I’ve ever stood in. Giant towering head trained goodness of Cabernet.

1 Like

Being poured at an Aldo Sohm restaurant is pretty high praise too.

Yeah, Patrick, I was pretty darn happy with that placement. With all the wines we make, that Luchessi Cabernet would be the last one that I’d think would go by the glass in an all seafood restaurant! But a place like that and a somm like Sohm know what they are doing. At one point my distributor was out and the replacement load hadn’t arrived in New York so I actually shipped two cases by FedEx at great expense to not loose that placement.

So, how much for a glass in NYC?

I don’t remember the price by the glass but it was a fair piece of change. I never managed to dine there, though I finally had a reservation for March 16th 2020. But of course that was really bad timing, as it was the day they closed for Covid. Instead of dining at La Bernadin I got on a very empty airplane and escaped a very surreal New York City with no one on the streets. One of these days I’ll manage to dine there…

2 Likes

Thanks for popping in Rob. You are one of the folks that I heard about this forum from so Thank You for that!

In for the Library Durif. My cellar is still bursting so this is likely my only wine purchase of BD

2 Likes