Occhipinti...talk to me!

The base frappato is 43.99

Essentially, the wines that a few years ago went for around $20 or so are now over $40 and the better cuvees that were once in the $30s are now in the $80s.

At the same store where the base frappato is $44, I can get 2016 Vajra Albe for $35. And, I would rather have a 2016 Vajra Rivera for $75 than one of her better cuvees for $85. Look, if you love her wines, go for them. But, for my palate, at current prices there are much better values in Italian wines than these.

I was paying about 35 dollars 3-4 years ago for the same wine. And the single vineyard cuvees have only been in existence for 2 vintages, so I don’t really know what you’re talking about.

Buy and enjoy. Easy pass for me.

Posts like this make no sense. You are basically saying that Italian wines are interchangeable. Frappato and Nebbiolo are not remotely the same thing. If you just can’t be bothered to shop around for a decent price that’s fine, but it doesn’t set the value proposition for the producer.

1 Like

Howard, the single vineyard frappatos are new, albeit expensive, although Scott from lopa sells them for $60.

I dont think the single cru bottlings have been around long enough to have seen a price at $20ish. and I actually kind of agree with David here, I dont think there’s been a meal where ive been debating between a Frappato and a Nebbiolo. or really a Frappato and just about anything else- I think they are kind of singular in the aromatic profile. doesnt mean that you can’t be deciding between whether you’d rather buy a Frappato and a Nebbiolo, but for me if I am looking for Frappato there just isnt a better option. Now- whether its worth 100% more for the single vineyard over the very enjoyable $40 Frappato… that would be a hard sell for me. Ive liked the $40 one too much to worry about paying twice as much.

Yes, the single vineyards are new, but I assume that the grapes from those vines used to go into other cuvees that did not cost $85. Look, there are a lot of wines in the world I would rather have for $45 than this and I cannot imagine paying $85. If this is worth $45 to you, go buy it.

It was good while it lasted. champagne.gif

And to think…Howard buys Burgundy.

1 Like

Has Burgundy gone up in price??.. newhere

Idk, I think they’re pretty great. They’re also $60 from Lopa which ships nationwide.

Lopa’s prices are generally lower across the board for most wines, and I don’t think allocations are high enough where anyone can just buy it at $60.

That being said, bizarre that howard can’t imagine paying $85 for a wine that he’s never tasted

Has anyone tasted the single cru Frappatos? I love Occhipintis wines and buy a few every year, but I have a hard time seeing the reason for Frappato crus. Are they supposed to be aged like the Grotte Alte (which btw is great after 10+yrs). I’ve had a few Frappatos at 5-6 years, but I just dont see Frappato aging 10+ yrs without more acidity and tannic spine.

Just bought a case from Winex for $34 per.

I think it’s a pretty strong value for a $35 wine, though of course value is mostly a function of how much you like the wine.

I’m not really sure how age would change them, and as such, I’m not stockpiling the wines, but rather buying a few a year to drink. I guess the price will probably keep going up, and I’ll have to decide as the years go on whether it’s still worth it to me.

honestly, like we were talking about with Howard, I just dont see the point paying twice as much when the Il Frappato is just so good. maybe im missing out on something by not coughing up 100% more, but I doubt its as steep of an enjoyment climb as it is a price climb.

This comment got me to check out Pollara within a few days. Awesome stuff. Thank you for the tip. Saw they had some Occhipinti for sale, but at restaurant margins I had to pass.

Silly argument, why buy anything except the base offering of any producer then? Of course there’s diminishing returns for any wine past the $30-50 price point.

If she was making wine in Piedmont instead of Sicily with Nebbiolo rather than frappato people would be falling all over themselves to buy her crus for 5x the price.

1 Like

Not sure of the relationship but I had the COS Frappato (by Giusto Occhipinti) last night and it was delicious. Super bright and plenty of acidity. Think it was just $25.