Occhipinti...talk to me!

I get you’re concerned just a short drive to DE or across the Delaware for Occhipinti. For me, it’s 8 years in the Gulag which incidentally coincides with my last purchase of LdH Rosato.

Drinking a 2016 as I write. Had the first glass with Roman style pizza (Bay Area residents, Pollara Pizza Berkeley is no joke!) and now finishing the bottle. The 2016 has shed it’s “natural” funk and has picked up depth and weight. Fantastic!

her wines across all levels (but especially the il frappato) are some of my favorite to open with food. I really love them with anything seasoned with herbs de Provence, because I get a lot of those notes in the nose of frappato anyways. I think her red wines are consistently delicious joyful.

I once bought a bottle of the Il Frappato by accident. One of the better mistakes I’ve made, a wonderful wine that I would not call funky. However the 2016 was very reductive at first.

There is no doubt the wines are good but they are totally overhyped. COS is just as good, and there are other producers also doing good work.

i have never had the same emotional connection to Cos that I’ve had with some occhipintis. theyre good, but i do think Occhipinti is another step up. funny since the two are so closely related!

Completely agree with this. I like COS but they seem to lack the depth and overall quality of Occhipinti.

Universal praise for a natural wine! :wink:

I’m sure this thread is to blame for the delicious 2016 Frappato we are drinking now that caught my eye in a local shop today €30 and a cracker.

ill add to my original post though that Guisto Occhipinti’s IDTT podcast episode is one of my very favorites. but arrianna’s is good too… if nothing else just because I think Levi has a major crush on her haha!

oh also wanted to add in response to the OP though: I dont think looping Occhipinti in with Cornelissen or Foti is really right. wine made with major portions of Frappato would never be confused with a wine from Etna as far as i could tell. the aromatics are so different. frappato is so floral its hard to mistake.

Not sure if it’s imported to the US, but her Grappa di Frappato is fantastic. I had it a couple of years ago in Sicily back when we could travel. Super floral and almost a Gewurzt-like spice element.

This has been my experience with her Frappato. Really wonderful wine with dinner and some air. The SP68 is objectively a good wine but I don’t really like the flavor profile of Nero d’Avola. Therefore I only seek out her Frappato.

FWIW, my enjoyment of her Frappato made me seek out other producers based on the recommendations in this thread - Frappato recs other than Occhipinti and COS? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers. I think hers is much better than the COS.

Definitely hyped. And yes the COS Frappato is very good IMHO. I’d give an edge to Occhipinti for complexity and interest…but the COS is regularly 25%+ cheaper and offers excellent value.

RT

Her Il Frappato has been a go to pizza wine for us for years. Not as much of fan of both the red and white SP68

I liked her wines a lot when they first became known in the US. I stopped buying them as the prices rose, however.

Instant fan…of course! Little more substantial than I thought it would be…but that NOSE…gorgeous! Very vibrant with that fresh crushed cherry and raspberry…killer nose of cinnamon and wild herbs…wonderfully feminine and graceful…with an exotic earth minerality side to it. Reminded me of a bright and juicy Foillard CruBojo and a spicy and zesty nuanced Zin! Easy case buy coming up!
B088C525-1753-46CA-9238-733A77B6EF97.jpeg

1 Like

Are they very expensive. I paid €30 in a shop not really known for cheap pricing. About the same as a top Bojo.

I had the '17 Nero about a month ago and it was not good. Very generic and flat. Quite a disappointment compared to Il Frappato and others which are never not delicious.

I don’t base my purchases on the prices YOU are seeing. I base them on the prices I am seeing. https://bassins.com/search_results.php

It’s not that far off from the 30 euro price. Good US pricing is around 40 and it’s not hard to find it closer to 35.

Is $85 close to 30 euros?