NYC Rookies - Southern Italian Dinner 11/30

Sorry all, but I have to cancel. Work requires me to be in NJ and I can’t commit to being in the city on time.

Fun time all! Thanks Tony for all your work planning the night.

I really liked the Occhipinti white and it was fun to try the horizontal tasting. I liked the middle letter the best.

See you all next time for THE RHONES!

Definitely a great time although next time, we may need a spit/dump bucket on the table because I was feeling pretty rough this morning… [drinkers.gif]

I thought the restaurant was great. Food and service were excellent, stemware was very good and overall, I think that would be a fine place for future dinners if they would accomodate us. Thanks Tony and Dennis for setting this up!

I thought pretty much all of the wines showed well but I really enjoyed the 2013 Contrada flight, the Occhipinti wines and the 04 Calabretta. I also thought the Calabria Ciro Rosso that Ellen brought was a funky and fun wine to try!

Great time all around.

Good time last night with an assortment of really great wines. Lots of interesting wines from obscure varietals. The Occhipinti wines did not disappoint and would love to have a few of her whites in my refrigerator.

I thought the La Closerie les Beguines was very complex with bright, crisp impression on the palate with some oxidative, dough/brioche notes on the mid-palate and a light creamy finish.

The 2013 Contrada wines are all “Burgundian” in style but so incredibly varied with the Rampante being star of the flight. Probably the most complete and aromatic of the three with sexy dark cherry flavors and a long, vibrant finish. The Guardiola had a lighter, fresher touch with lean cherry fruit and much more minerality. The Porcaria was the richest and lush of the three but still vibrant and beautifully defined.

Chef Max is leaving the restaurant after the new year so we won’t get the same deal. But we can set something up with his new restaurant. Also, I am working on two other options that won’t charge us a corkage fee and good food.

Had an excellent time - great wines, food, and company! Just need to work on better control of my tasting size - an extra ounce per pour can add up with 13 wines!!

Many thanks to Tony for planning and organizing… (which, to set the record straight, I was not involved in - was 100% Tony and all credit to him)

Last, lest I get called out on another chopped liver joke, sorry to see Jorge couldn’t make it!

Til next (Rhone) time…

-Dennis

So sorry I missed it gents. I’m sure it was an excellent evening…going by how Dennis and I were treated by Tony’s brother in law and friends when we went after the Rioja dinner.

Hoping I can make it to the next one.

Everyone’s said it already, but thanks again Tony for yet another amazing dinner. Truly nailed it. Amazing food, great stems, incredible hospitality. Please thank your brother-in-law for me.

As I said, I really don’t drink a lot of S. Italy, so this was a really nice learning experience for me. I was amazed at the spectrum of wines that region has to offer. The calabretta 04 was delicious, also loved the horizontal of contradas (R was my fave), the Occhipinti frappato and blancos, and the COS. I brought the 2004 Benanti Rovittello, which I felt did the worst job of showing relation to the region.

You are all so generous with the bottles you bring and the stories you share. Glad to be a part of this group.

Very excited for our Rhones dinner, wherever we end up.

Echo everyones sentiment, great time and thank you Tony for organizing! The food, wine and company were all terrific and I look forward to the Rhone dinner.

Wish I made it! Sounds like everyone had a blast, per usual.

This is relevant, so I thought I’d drop it off here:

https://jjb.shops.vivino.com/mastroberardino-taurasi-radici-2009/?access_token=DdZ7Mi3soX4OMBaSXWsfOCJU42RnVMsR0sXmIvdM&update_token=C0kRSfROWCghQxiUtW7kdDntVYRLVig0EjrOH3yf

Did we already set a date for December? I was hoping it could be on the 21st or 22nd, as I will be out of town for the rest of the year after the 22nd!

That would work for me, anyone else?

Is this happening? :confused:

I could possibly do that…

I think we should start a new thread.

I’d also vote for January. I think it’ll be hard to find a date that works for a good number of folks, source wines, and secure a place with the dwindling time left before things go “full holiday”… and I think we’ll wind up with a more enjoyable event if we give ourselves more lead time.

-Dennis

I’d also like to vote for Jan! I’m totally booked up and of the month is rough for sourcing (went into flatiron yesterday…lots of empty shelves).

Mid Jan?

Everyone agreed at the last meeting we would do a Northern Rhone tasting after the Holidays. The Fillmore Room in Chelsea has agreed to have us without charging a corkage fee. I will work on a set menu or not. Also, I am working on another option. Will keep everyone posted. Mid January works for me.

http://www.fillmoreroom.com/food/

Long time lurker, would love to join for this next one.

Mid Jan works good for me. Tony, thanks for finding options for us, looking forward to the N Rhone dinner.

Sounds great, I’m away 25th and 26th otherwise free.

I’m in depending on the date. Would prefer not Jan 25 as I’m going to the Grand Cru tasting at Cirpriani that day and it will be too much.

Have we narrowed it to just Northern Rhone or Rhones (North or South). Either way is fine I just wanted to clarify as it might be fun to keep it separate so we have good compare and contrast opportunities for Syrah.

BTW, was anyone else able to get into the Pearl and Ash wine dinner this Tuesday? If so, I’ll see you there. My first one where I got in!