NYC Pizza- Bring out your BEST!!

We just want pizza!! [thankyou.gif] [beg.gif]

1 Like

Just to note from

the eater list there are a few locations with other locations probably more convenient for you
Joe and Pats (Staten) - 2nd location on LES
Deninos (staten) - 2nd location in WV

Slices -
Joe’s - seems like they have 10-20 locations now, generally one of the better places if you are randomly somewhere looking for a slice but not near the top slice in city
Bleeker Street - just adding them cause they show up on lists meh - I always go to the Joe’s on carmine nearby over this but used to be a big deal long ago
Scarrs - very good
Mamas TOo on UWS

Paulie Gees - square pepperoni is a lot better than Prince IMO and everything else good
Motorino - didn’t like their speciality (white cauliflower I think) but thought the red pies were great
Lucali - pain to get into (line up before 5) If you go in that area try F&F and Baby Luc’s (Lucali’s slice shop that just opened, haven’t been, reviews are its not great yet).
For different - 2nd l’industrie in williamsburg. Not as good but I’d swing around the corner to leo for a slice as well
Joes - fine
Rubirosa - i like the pies here
Ops - one of the best, by a bunch of breweries , Original robertas is out here too and much better than there food hall outlets

Keste is still around but agreed on naples style - Song e napoli also good but same style

For different - corner slice at gotham food hall (like 50th and 11th)
Emily / Emmy squared - " detriot style" Loved it the first few times I had it years ago but was mediocre last 2 times i’ve been

1 Like

Will go to a classic margherita everywhere. Love their Brussel Sprout/pancetta pizza

1 Like

Mike,

Are you staying in Manhattan? If so, not to be a PITA, but depending on where in Manhattan, you’d probably be able to get to Razza in Jersey City faster than getting to Op’s in Brooklyn. And forget about Staten Island. You would be able to get to Lucali, Ops, Razza, etc. much faster than Staten Island.

Sorry to complicate things for you. I just wouldn’t want you to rule out Razza because it’s in NJ.

Feel free to rule out Santillo’s. Not because it’s in NJ, but because it’s brutal.

2 Likes

Echoing what others have said, but I think you have to hit the classics -

Joe’s - West Village right near the Blue Note - best if there is a line as pizza will come out fresh

Di Fara - awesome and tiny spot, it’s a must

Rubirosa - Another to consider, not sure I saw above, for sit down. Good food overall too. The Vodka pizza is different and worth ordering.

As mentioned by another poster, Prince Street for square slices, if you have no concerns for anything but the pie. If you’re taking into account other concerns (ambience, a nice wine list, good appetizers, etc.) then I’d second MARTA as a good bet. The pizza is very good (plus, if you’re looking to check the box on a variety of styles, you get to add “Roman-style” pizza to your list), and the wine list is great! Plus you can start your meal with grilled Octopus and/or a big ol’ slab of pork belly cooked in a wood-burning oven!

1 Like

I think someone mentioned L’industrie pizzeriain Brooklyn. Great choice. I also second Scarr’s.

Sauce- LES. Their slice shop is better than their sit down pie.

Upside pizza- 2 locations. One of them is near Prince street pizza. Sourdough starter is used to make the dough. One of my go-to spots.

Lucali- you can now call ahead and pickup if you can’t get a table. Try the calzone and a pizza. Be warned you will have to start calling immediately when they open for table or take-out. Between 4 phones, my wife and I called about a combined 2000 times. They release the time on their IG or FB. They also opened a slice shop but apparently the pizza is different.

If you go to John’s of Bleeker I recommend the calzone over the pizza.

I’m going to try Razza soon based on all the recommendations.

reserving my spot, will pay you on Saturday!

A couple more Neapolitan options:
Sorbillo
Song e Napule

Take a road trip to New Haven and do a pizza crawl there if time allows :pizza:

1 Like

[cheers.gif]

Made in New York Pizza on Amsterdam and 80th was started by Prince Street departees… there was even a case about the theft of spicy pepperoni slice recipe… not as good… but depending where you are it could be closer and far less of a line.

And I second Mama’s Too on Broadway in the 100’s (the cacio y pepe slice is life changing and the plain with basil may save you a trip to Midwood Bk
And Sauce on the LES. if nearby it is a great choice, I wouldn’t go more that say a mile for it… (though not sure where else I’ve had an al pastor slice)

And Upside has a location in Midtown east near Bryant Park and Midtown West near the Port Authority (a particularly aesthetically pleasing part of town)

So?? We expected live updates​:grinning::pizza::pizza:

For a really good Neopolitan style in an old school feel, San Mateo in UES on 89th/2nd is hard to beat.

1 Like

I’m headed in to LGA tomorrow. Plan to stop at Scarr’s on my way in based on the thread here. Thanks guys!

It’s been years since I’ve hit San Matteo. Gtk that it’s still around.

I’ll add PQR in the UES for really good Roman-style pizza.

1 Like

yeah, Angelo Iezzi is the President of the “Associazione Pizzerie Italiane”, and has his flagship store in northern Rome, Angelo e Simonetta
Good call. Pizza Romana aka, Pinsa & Taglio is hot these days.

Whereas Nashville seems the destination for bridesmaid public drunkfests, Noo Yawk seems the destination for pizza joint Bataan death marches.
[drinkers.gif]

Curious what others have think about some of the newcomer hyrbids. I’m thinking like Loring Place and Black Seed bagels that now make pizza. Heard pretty good things but haven’t tried

They were in Facebook.