NYC Pizza- Bring out your BEST!!

Paging the wayback machine. Victor is calling. The last time Ray’s was a big deal was circa 1971 - 1991. We’d take the subway to the 6th ave location in the village. Back then, they made their pie with lots of cheese.

Stand by for the 8th(?) annual DiFara’s offline on Fat Tuesday 2022. You can find the details from previous offlines in the offline forum. Many of the attendees over the years weren’t convinced going into dinner. They left knowing that DiFara’s is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

FYI, posters here have attended multiple years. [wink.gif]

The last 2, pizza was made by someone else. The best part about that was the crust wasn’t burnt. neener

By 1985, there was already massive confusion, competition, and misrepresentation about who was who, and what was what. They all largely descended into greasy garbage.

Remind me what you think of Santillo’s.

L’industrie pizzeria shockingly missing from the above.

Lucali is best all around pie in a in-between neop and nyc style.

nyc style, probably scarr’s

marta is a flatbread to me. it can be delicious, but it’s outside the pizza paradigm, for me. (i cringe when i see them put the dough through that roller machine - amazing wine list though)

clam pie at PJ is benchmark.

for context, i think difara is pretty average and the famous new haven places are actually bad.

john’s and joe’s are also average, but tolerable. i just don’t see the point when there are a dozen+ much better options. these places trade on nostalgia with shitty ingredients. brands more than pizza destinations.

2 Likes

Depends on what you seek.
Real New York pizza seems to be a bit muddy these days. I guess what you have in its place is DiFaras or Totonnos? The round pie for both but at Totonnos unless Dom is cooking them all bets are off.
If you want a little Naples on the Hudson you must try Ribalta, Song o’ Napule or Keste Downtown. Uptown try Massarini de Vini for which I do believe is the best Margherita in the city at the moment.
If you want square, L&B is still hot but spotty, at least for me. The single best Grandma’s is at Ninos in Bay ridge and best square still at Da Vinci’s 18th Ave. Wait for fresh one for both or order fresh. Have fun.
Cheers!

Don’t miss out on just a plain old school NY slice. This one might have come from Pizza Suprema as Barry noted above.

was mediocre when I was there in April

Prince St. Pepp slice is my favorite slice in the city. There’s Paulie Gee’s in Greenpoint (Brooklyn) which has awesome pizza and Greenpoint is a great neighborhood to spend a night out in. Someone mentioned Ribalta and Scarr’s, I can agree with both of those. One of my favorite date spots, if you’re with a smaller group, is Rubirosa which is within walking distance to Prince St., but I wouldn’t attempt to tackle both places on the same day.

I’ve had the pleasure. [cheers.gif] The cracker crust is delicious.

FYI to any local Berserkers. I’m having lunch at L&B on Thursday at 12:00 ish. Care to join me and my friend? Sicilian is the way to go here.

That’s too bad…it’s been several years since we were there.

I’m not a fan. I think for a similar type pizza that Star Tavern in Orange is way better.

1 Like

I stopped having John’s in 2009. Mediocre then.

Mike, you may need to specify categories. I only recommend slice places, actually prefer reheated slices to get the crispy crust.

Others are fan or Naples style. Soft center crust. I didn’t like Keste at all (don’t think it is still around), but that name might have come up if you asked in 2019 (from people who think Joe’s is so-so).

Sort of like asking what is the best wine. Personal taste comes into play.

Keste on Fulton still open and does the Regina Margherita. That’s the one.

Slices: have done slices all my life as a kid on the pizza filled streets of Brooklyn. Not something style wise I do anymore. I guess I am the wrong guy to ask if slice joints are the requested style.
Cheerios

I’ll add a third rec for Razza in Jersey City.

If you’re flying in from Newark you can take the PATH to Grove St. and walk about 3 blocks. Or if you’re near a PATH station in Manhattan at any point it’s a short ride.

The reccos here and being only 3 blocks from Path are enough incentive for me to try this out.

Only one constraint on this thread. Just keep it it to NYC. Looking for the best, no matter the style, size, toppings, color, thickness, cook.

There is someplace outside of Noo Yawk? [swoon.gif] [swoon.gif] [swoon.gif]

The only downside is that post-covid they eliminated their corkage option. No BYO at all.

Mike, You’ll have to weed them out yourself. This is Wine Berserkers after all.