NYC offlines

I would be coming down from Albany, so it is an overnight for me. I would prefer during the week, since I am retired and my wife is not, so I like to keep the weekends to do stuff with her. Moreover, many of our weekends are already committed.

I have a limited selection of Burgundy, but I can probably fit any theme. (I have several friends with deep Burg cellars that would be happy to trade for Nebbiolo.)

I have a wine friend I can stay with in the city, so if he can join too, that would be great. Some of you know him well.

I think a Grand Cru theme is good, but if someone has a Premier Cru they feel can compete with Grand crus, I wouldn’t turn my nose up.

Finally, I will say that I had a dinner at Amali and was quite unimpressed. It was 2.5 years ago:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2015-11-13_NK_1985_Amali/

Weekday only for me. Same impression as Ken for Amali. I have a lot of burgs so can fit most themes.

Ditto.

So folks are ok spending more then for just food? I guess there is the full range of experiences. Gran Cru folks probably more spendy for food. Rookie experiences more sensitive. 1er Cru can go either way.

You can get good meals for that amount, just not at Amali. I’m going from memory, so you would have to check me, but I think Hearth was good and reasonable. Also Riverpark on no-corkage Tuesday is very good and reasonable. Personally, I am fine with an all-in cost of $120-$150, though I prefer the lower end.

Other than a DRC/Rousseau/Coche theme, I can also probably accommodate pretty much anything. I can do weekends, but would also prefer weekdays.

I’ve been to a few offlines on Monday at Racines and that’s gone well.

I’d be interested in a weekday offline as well!

As obviously weekdays work better for all could make a weekday work ideally a Monday but can be flexible

Have you been back to Racines since the new chef took over? I found the food to be overpriced, precious, and frankly, bland.

Whereas I loved most of my one meal there with the new chef with a Côte de boeuf special being the standout.

I identified a new restaurant, Sutton Inn. Will run $100 with tax and tip included. Appetizer, cheese/charcuterie, family-style potatoes/mushrooms, a choice of entree (including a lamb or duck), and dessert. Figuring out stem situation but they have some amount of stems… not sure about table space though for 8 glasses etc.

I’m with Jay - I’ve been multiple times since Liebrandt took over and I was very happy with the food. Although I’ve always liked Liebrandt’s cooking.

Would love to join you. (I can’t do Thurs or Fri nights.) I would recommend a simpler theme for the wines. People will bring the good stuff.

Might as well jump in as a possible candidate.

I can roll with theme & restaurant choices.

My preference is also a weeknight and more specifically a Mon-Tues-Wed.

Racines told me minimum including tips/corkage/food (presumably not including tax) is $165/person. So a big step up over the range discussed above (e.g., mid-80s for Northstar or Peking Duck and the $100-125 for those comfortable spending more).

I might be interested in this so will stay tuned to the thread.

On their no-corkage Mondays? I don’t think we paid that much, but I could be wrong.

If this ends up happening in October (2Nth or something), I’d be delighted to join with my wife, space permitting of course. We will be in NY for a week or so from NZ. I’m a white burg tragic so deep on those, but have a fair stack of red burgs I’ve had to buy as hostage wines (“if you want some Roulot this year, I really need you to buy some of this Rousseau stuff as well…”) :wink:
Pretty flexible on theme, maybe slight preference for GCs but of course that makes less sense for 2005-10.

I’m most likely in (weekdays only, though) if there’s room. Thanks!

I propose 6 different offlines for Reds from October to December, dates below. Nebbiolo, Rhone, and Burgundy. If you are interested to sign up, PM me per the below instructions, and we will go from there (will start three new threads for each wine region). Please remember I am new here, so PM me any constructive suggestions as well!

If there is a lack of demand, I will consolidate the Barolo/Barbaresco, and Burgundy ones etc. around the more popular date. But I think if we can get at least 5 for each individual date, we should give it a go. I have proposed a variety of weekdays and pain points. For anyone so inclined, this schedule will also parallel Kevin Zraly’s “Advanced Classes” for Italian Wines, Rhone and Burgundy (I have never been to one, but plan to attend Bordeaux, Italy and Burgundy, classes start 10/1).

So here goes…

Organization

1. You PM me the dates you want. Once dates confirmed with Sutton Inn, I will confirm with you via PM we are a “go”.
  2. Feel free to sign up for all of them – I will. But do let me know if you are iffy on any of your sign-ups, to allow for room in case there is massive demand.
  3. Please PM any suggestions you have generally or for the date at hand
  4. I will then post new threads for each offline theme (i) Barolo/Barbaresco, (ii) Rhone, and (iii) Burgundy
  5. I will likely be +1 for some of Barolo, Barbaresco, Rhone and QPR Burgundy Night…

Roster Size:
Goal: 9 people / 9 bottles
Minimum: At least 5 people/5 bottles

Format:
3 flights of 3 wines (?)
Wines opened/decanted prior to bringing to restaurant
Wines being brought will be revealed once full roster is complete (?)
1 of the 9 bottles shall be champagne OR we figure out how to bring a 10th bottle to start

Stems:
Restaurant will provide 4 stems per person. Sutton Inn has more stems, but the table space is limited. They have the stems, just not sure of how to organize this with the food etc. Will see if restaurant has any suggestions

~$95 per person with food, tip and tax
Cheeses, charcuterie, appetizers, sides and choice of entree
Chef is open to menu suggestions
I am celiac, so there will be gluten free options

Proposed Schedule:
Thursday, 10/11 - Barolo
I’m not sure how to define the “good stuff” given the permutations, but strong bottles. Please PM me with suggestions for narrowing down criteria.
I gently propose a minimum criteria are $100+ bottles (however you define that… cost or market value)

Wednesday, 10/17 - Barbaresco
I’m not sure how to define the “good stuff” given the permutations, but strong bottles. Please PM me with suggestions for narrowing down criteria.
I gently propose a minimum criteria are $100+ bottles (however you define that… cost or market value)

Monday 11/19 - Northern Rhone Reds
I’m not sure how to define the “good stuff” given the permutations, but strong bottles. Please PM me with suggestions for narrowing down criteria
I gently propose a minimum criteria of $100+ bottles (however you define that… cost or market value)
Reboule Du Rhone industry event will be the prior weekend

Wed 11/28 - QPR Burgundy Reds
Thanksgiving is 11/22
Restaurant TBD, but probably a more casual spot than Sutton Inn (if i can find one)
Trying for Monday to find a corkage free spot
Aged village/1er
2013 vintage or older
$60-90 bottle price point

Wed 12/5 - 1er Reds: Chambolle Musigny, Vosnee-Romanee, Vougeot, Pommard
2007 vintage or prior
Premier Crus (or better if you feel so generous)

Thursday 12/13- GC Reds: Gevrey-Chambertin, Morey-St. Denis
2007 vintage or prior
Grand Crus