NYC/Jersey City Wine Storage Recommendations?

The NYC pickup is much more convenient for those who live in NYC :slight_smile:

It still helps for me, just not as much.

If you are going to a dinner in NYC and you want to pull a bottle for it, it’s a nice feature. But point taken.

Jay - How much is Chelsea going to charge you to remove everything? It is going to be a pain to figure out the switching costs.

I don’t think I’ll have out fees since I have a cage rather than open storage. Their normal fee when they handle it is $4/case. Even if they charged it I’d make it back in less than a month.

Michael, Patrick and the team at Domaine are A+ in terms of professionalism and service. I’ve been a PITA customer and they’ve been nothing but gracious and prompt. Having your wine inaccessible except via a delivery pull at first was a bit of a challenge (e.g., impromptu specialty dinners).

I’ve adapted by buying a few fridges so I have 5-10 cases at my apt at any given time. To me, it’s the ultimate compromise versus paying through the nose for locally accessible storage.

I also have had very good experiences with Domaine. Like Faryan, I’ve been a PITA and they’ve been professional and accommodating. You have to plan in advance if you want to pull, but I keep wines at home and putting wines that need age at Domaine removes the temptation to pop them too early.

The one thing is I believe they calculate the boxes you are using by the number of physical containers; eg a 3 bottle owc is 1 box for purposes of counting how much storage you are using.

James and Faryan, I’m sure that you aren’t, and I’m sure there are worse offenders, and I’m sure that the team at Domaine treats them with the same service you describe.

What I like most about Domaine is that they are always working to make everyone happy, and find new ways to offer clients more than their competitors.

I’d be interested in what they reply.
I also sent a similar email, about 4 days ago now, and didn’t hear a pip back.
Not a very good way to start a change of ownership unless they are indeed trying to just squeeze everyone out…

Same – no response yet.

Do not expect one.

I think I am going with MWC. Curious if anyone has started the process of moving from Chelsea to MWC or elsewhere and how it has gone.

How do they charge? Is it by the case? or is it by space?

Basically by the case but they calculate it by the liter which can be advantageous in certain situations.

So far I could not be happier with the responsiveness of Marc Hanes.

I would also like to say that Tyler and the Chelsea crew have always done a good job and I feel for them since they have nothing to do with the new owner’s decision making.

Agreed, they have always been great and have continued to be so in this difficult transition period.

If it weren’t so convenient for me to store at Mana since they’re local I would have gone with MWC. I know and trust Marc and the convenience of Manhattan pickup counts for a lot.

I can vouch for Mana Wine. If you all recall the Wine Care/Hurricane Sandy situation, my wine ended up with Mana when all was said and done. Shaul and his team over there were very helpful throughout that process and the consumer service has been great since things have returned to “normal”. Just a couple weeks ago he took the time to walk me through some of the features on the inventory website that I hadn’t been using. Deliveries have been on time with no issues at all.
MANA has done right by me and I can recommend them.

While my wine was hung up in the Wince Care/Mana transition, I was fortunate enough to get a locker at Chelsea Wine Storage and over time, it became the main place I used for storage. New deliveries would go into my locker at CWS and every so often when I had space, I’d get a delivery from MANA, keep some home and put the rest in the CWS locker. I loved that set up, especially since actually work in Chelsea Market and my wine is literally downstairs!

My struggle now with moving has to do with cost. I have quotes from MWS and Domaine. I know Mana’s rates and have asked about storing more with them. Ironically some wines I had already taken from there!

I am about to put together the spreadsheet and compare. I just don’t see the 50% rate hike at CWS balancing out the convenience.

I hate being in this situation (as we all do) as I really loved my set up.

I’ve been with Wine Cellarage in the Bronx for years. Always been good. No Sandy problems either.

I’ve had very good experience with Domaine since I started storing there, and they have been very accommodating and helpful.

I have e-mailed the new GM at Chelsea twice since receiving the notice about the new regime to determine the cost of the insurance, but I have not received a response. Not a great way to start a new regime and likely meaning I will be moving the rest of my wine out.

Most of my wine is now with Mana. I left 2 cases to have an open storage contract with CWS since I’m expecting deliveries from some retailers that don’t ship to NJ. I’ll decide whether to keep that once all my pending deliveries show up.

Sigh, it was a great 12 year run with Chelsea…

I checked with New York Wine Storage Co. in Long Island City, which I’ve used for 22 years, and they do have space. The basic rate is $1.75 per case per month, with price breaks for large customers (something over 50 cases, I gather).

If anyone is planning to move out of Chelsea over the next several days, be forewarned that it’s a bit chaotic. The aisles are filled with stacked boxes and loaded pallets and people are moving boxes and loading more pallets. And this was mid-day today.

Tyler and Robert are being super helpful, but I would guess it will get increasingly nutty as Oct. 31 approaches.