NYC/Jersey City Wine Storage Recommendations?

Nest Egg in North Bergen (division of Western - talk with Joel Rubins) and Domaine as others have suggested and Michael is your guy!

Jay and John,

The per-case price for open storage at Chelsea went up a little while ago, but doesn’t appear to be increasing under the new arrangement. What is new is the mandatory insurance, which I’m happy to have as long as the premiums aren’t excessive. I’ve sent an email inquiring about the insurance premium per $100 of value, to be able to compare with Domaine’s insurance charges above. Since both Chelsea and Domaine are insuring with Lloyd’s of London, I would hope the premiums would be comparable.

If Chelsea winds up being wildly more expensive, I’m certainly open to moving my wine.

I use MWC as well and only have great things to say. Great service, competitive pricing and having a retail store in NYC where I can pick up smaller pulls has been helpful to me.

Just curious, usually how many bottles do people have when they start to use off-site storage like this?

The real question is how many do they end up with

Well, my wine fridge in my NYC apartment holds 54 bottles, so I arranged for offsite storage pretty quickly after starting to collect. The downsides of offsite storage are, for me: (1) I’ve actually never seen roughly 95% of my collection, and (2) since it is essentially unlimited storage, it doesn’t apply any brakes to my buying.

Sorry…Domaine in Edison

I use both Domaine in Edison NJ and Horse Ridge Cellars in CT. Both recommended. I went out to see the Edison facility, very impressive and professional.

The notice for my locker said the rate would rise about 50%, including the insurance. I’m not sure how they calculated that since I haven’t submitted an inventory, but they gave an approximate dollar figure.

That would take the per-case, per-month cost to about $8 for a small (20-22 case) locker, which is pretty stiff.

With massive appreciation of Chelsea real estate during the past fifteen years, one would expect wine storage charges to rise too, to reflect the opportunity cost of residential usage. Indeed, these reported increases are actually mild, in perspective.

And they are the last remaining storage facility in Manhattan, I think.

Given that a garage down the block flooded during Sandy, and Chelsea did have a little water bubble up through floor drains, I can see why the new owners want to have insurance. (I’m happy to have a cage at eye level rather than on the floor!)

Does the cage have pontoons, given the approach of Matthew?

+1 satisfied mwc customer. Would echo the prior comment about the convenience/cost-effectiveness of being able to pick up from store for smaller pulls.

Thank you everone!

At this point I’ve narrowed it down to either MWC or Mana Wine (formerly Guarantee Wine Storage). The latter is by far the most convenient for me since they’re a 10 minute short drive away but the former comes highly recommended by many, many people and it’s managed by someone I know and trust (Marc Hanes who used to manage Chelsea Wine Storage some years ago).

I have a quote from Mana and Marc said he’d be getting a quote for MWC to us sometime today.

I’ll be looking at Mana this week but has anyone here used Mana/Guarantee? Anyone?

Be sure to get your own collectible-wine insurance, with zero affiliation to your storage provider.

Big shot :slight_smile:. My wine fridge holds 36 bottles. When I bought it 20 years ago I knew I would never own that much wine at one time. For the last 15 years I’ve been waiting for it to break down so I can buy something bigger.

And for anyone keeping score someone asked me what my per case rental went up to for the cage at Chelsea after the latest price increase. When I figured it out it came to roughly $10/case/month.

They definitely want to drive everyone out and replace the space with retail.

If that does not work, Hurricane Matthew might.

Manhattan Wine Company would be my recommendation. The Clifton/NYC locations offer the best of both worlds. Wines can be stored primarily in NJ, but you get super-easy access in NYC.