NY Style Pizza Recs

I’m heading into Manhattan tomorrow night, staying on Washington St in the financial district. Any place within easy striking distance worth recommending for a pizza dinner with the family?

We ate at Pasquale Jones on Monday. Not NYC style. Neapolitan and very good.

NY Pizza Suprema is indeed very, very good.

Almost my favorite. It is my wife’s favorite as she is vegan and they cater to vegans as well.

There is a Joe’s on Broadway between 40th and 41st that’s as good as the one in the Village. The lines are insane though. But for me, Joe’s is the best slice day in and day out.

To me, Joe’s (multiple locations but original is in the West Village) is the classic NY-style slice. Within the NY-style category, Bleecker St. Pizza, Prince Street Pizza and Wiliamsburg Pizza are also very good. I’m a fan of Di Fara but it’s not worth the hike given the myriad great pizza places in Manhattan.

My favorite in the city of any style is Motorino. (Their meatballs are stellar, too.) Have not been to Lucali.

Joe’s or John’s?

luzzo’s is the one place i’ve never been to that seems to get tons of low-key hype. the pics look very much like lucali.

Been to Luzzo’s 2 or 3 times and last being more than 2 years ago, mostly because of the friendly $10/$15 corkage and all the time with visiting non-winegeek relatives who insist on me treating them to some wines over NYC pizza.

Good pizza, NYC style, nothing spectacular.

I have to disagree on Angelo’s. It is NYC-style, but I find it average at best.

Sofia’s on 1st Ave, just north of 54 St, is good for the area but it’s not a sitdown place except for a few stools at the window. The Sofia’s Wine Bar on 50th west of 2nd Ave, is a casual sitdown spot with good individual pies that aren’t classic NYC-style. I don’t know the area further west to suggest closer places.

I recommended Angelo’s and I agree that it’s average at best.
The walking distance radius requirement by the request didn’t provide truly good NYC-style pizza opportunities and so I went with something that’s as close as I can get to within the NYC-style-pizza and 15-minute-walk requirements.

Glad to know of Sofia’s and someday look to try it.

Do any of these places ship? We’ve been on a mission to find some good NY style pizza w/o the travel and Napa is lacking on choices. We like my homemade but it’s not the same.
Must be the water :wink:

Sofias is good. Better than the spot next door marinaras.

Now that I’ve passed by and saw Sofia’s, I remember that I’ve had their slice, but can’t remember how good.
So, Marinaras just opened next door about 3 months ago and seemed to be looking busier than Sofias.

You should have a slice at each and compare! I am gluten free now so cannot anymore. Marinaras is lower priced, has seats and more toppings if I recall; was nervous they would put Sofia out of business.

Will do. Hopefully, Sofias stick around as Marinaras looking much more relatively busy 2 days ago when I ran/jogged by.

We have a Marinara’s over on the West Side. Not good.

Try out Paulie Gees in Greenpoint Brooklyn. It’s really the best I’ve had in NY. They have a sit down resturant and a slice shop 2 blocks away. Both are fantastic.