NY Style Pizza Recs

La Pizza Fresca
31 East 20th Street
New York, NY 10003

Great pizza and wine list.

a bit far from the location requested. also, you’d need a time machine.

this thread is gold.

“Gold“? Or did you mean cold?

also, the request is for ny style pizza
a lot of the above are not
don antonio is very good pizza, like keste, but not ny style

No, it is still open…once you remove the rich-folks apartment building plopped atop it…several years ago.

Apologies for the thread drift but is there any unranked, commonly agreed upon list of the top 5-10 places for legit NY style pizza in NYC??

I say “unranked” because it’s pretty clear that actually ranking them will never end well.

You mean this > eater new york best pizza - Google Suche

Angelo’s Pizza on 2nd and 55th is decent for the area under consideration. 15 minute walk, though.

I seem to remember something about the NY Style originating at the original Ray’s (Prince St.)? I also remember first trying a slice during the 1980s at the 11th and 6th Ave version. Pretty sure that location is long defunct. High quality? Hell no. But it was a no frills slice with thin crust that you could fold and had to eat standing in a not very hygienic environment. There’s a dreaded knock-off at 63rd and Lex (only 5.5 blocks from their lodging). I seriously doubt it’ll be a quality product, but it’ll be NY Style from “Famous Original Ray’s” and eaten while standing. The O.P. didn’t mention quality or fear of indigestion.

RT

The Ray’s on Lex between 62nd and 63rd is indeed terrible.

And somehow the Ray’s iterations continue. Must be price/convenience?

RT

When I ate gluten, I was a big fan of Pizza Suprema right next to Penn Station. $3/slice I last recall?

There was an article a few years ago in the Wall Street Journal I think. Some guy ate at and rated literally every slice place in Manhattan. Pizza Suprema came in first.

I’ve always made a point of getting to Motorino’s when I’m in NYC. Great stuff. Heard Locali in Carroll Gardens supposed to be amazing. DiFara used to be the cult classic street pie, but last I heard it had shut down.

I am surprised Suprema is not more popular, but the lines have increased over the years. I guess it is just a solid slice joint in a gritty area of town, and not a fancy pizzeria to draw the tourist hordes. Works for me, but unfortunately am gluten free.

Thanks for everyone’s input. i’ve passed along a few of the suggestions and will let them decide their destination.

Man, when I was making monthly (at least) Amtrak trips to NYC this would have been a priceless tip! Poor timing on my part

If so, probably just another “re-modeling”. The old floors let loose change (and higher-denomination bills) disappear. A prior “re-modeling” was to accommodate foot-weary DoH inspectors, who patronized more often expected. newhere

It was a couple of day shutdown.