Now that 2018 is over: your wine of the year

‘59 Margaux

Going to cheat a little bit, but a 1962 and 2000 Ducru Beaucaillou we had side by side with good friends on a lovely summer evening on our porch. The 62 was in great shape and the two wines had some wonderful echoes of each other, but all magnified by the location and the people who were enjoying it with us.

2015 K Vintners The Hidden

1988 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Eiswein

1999 Leflaive Montrachet

In Brice de la Morandiere’s backyard with Aubert de Villaine. Not an experience I’m likely to repeat.

1993 Ampeau Puligny-Montrachet 1er Les Combottes

2004 Vega Sicilia Unico. Just had it last night…last minute winner.

1990 DRC Richebourg

most surprising: 96 Lassalle Cuvée Angeline and 96 Donnhoff Oberhauser Brucke Eiswein
most pleasure: 08 Trimbach FE (half dozen times)
best: 08 Ramonet Montrachet

2001 Dujac Chambolle Musigny Gruenchers

Such an elegant wine, with haunting aromatics and cashmere-like texture. Just the right balance of Dujac spice, soil and decay.

I drank a few glasses by the fire, listening to “Astral Weeks” and marveling at the shared mastery of their craft. Poetry in a glass that makes you smile at life’s joys, but that reminds you of how fleeting they can be.

2012 Hidden Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon 55% slope. Happy to have eight more bottles to enjoy.

1982 Penfolds Geange

If you are liking N. Rhone whites check out Chapoutier St. Joseph Blanc Les Granits. It’s one of the over-performing whites of the region at a really great price if you pre-buy it.

Had a couple of Hayne Zins over the holidays that were crazy good.

‘10 Turley and ‘14 Carlisle.

This may, or may not come as a surprise to some…but my wine of the year was one I opened just a few days ago: 2005 Bartlett Blueberry Winemaker’s Reserve. It was a wine that bested the '95 Musar (I love & think highly of this producer & vintage) & '14 SQN PW Syrah in a blind tasting for two folks I know that work ITB. I really, really regret not buying more of these. It was the perfect balance and just was a wine I could smell for days…and wish I could drink far more often.

'06 Dauvissat La Forest stole the show for me. Has a distinct malo character which might put off some folks but for me I loved the way it played with the citrus and waxy characters in the wine.

2014 Nine Suns Cabernet Sauvignon Houyi Vineyard – USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (7/30/2018)
4 Napa Cabs at various price points (St. Paul, MN): Wow! This wine is amazing. One of the best I have sampled this year. Concentrated with dark cherries, blackberries, spices, oak, vanilla and earth. Long finish and good acidity. Decanted 2 plus hours. I would see this peaking in 2025. Excellent wine and thanks to David for providing this one! (95 points)

2015 K Vintners Syrah The Beautiful – USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (10/29/2018)
Day 1: Not what I would expect from Washington State. Very Northern Rhone. White pepper, game, violets, earth and black licorice. This has a medium to long finish and is quite a complex wine. Not many would pick Washington State in a blind tasting. I am quite please with this day 1 showing on quite a young wine. Should evolve on day 2, 3 and possibly 4. 94 points
Day 2: Violets, white pepper, soy sauce, game and menthol. This has the least amount of fruit I have ever tasted from a Washington State Syrah but I love this wine! One of the more interesting wines of the year for me. A must buy! 95 points
Day 3: Holding form from day 1 and 2. I love this wine.
Recommendation: Buy three or four and try one young and see how this evolves over the years. I see this as a 15 year wine. One of my top wines of the year considering the price of $45. (95 points)

1998 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape – France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/28/2018)
Annual CDP Tasting (Edina Country Club): Wine of the night. Funk, underbrush, raspberries and floral notes. Classic CDP and had a few glasses over the course of 3 hours and there was no drop off on this one. While I would enjoy this now as it is peaking I could see 3 to 5 more years of cellaring without fear. Just an amazing, complex wine. Defiantly a better bottle than I have had prior to this as I never hated this wine but never loved it either. This is why I love Cellar Tracker to see how wines evolve and bottles vary. (95 points)

2001 Château Suduiraut – France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (7/15/2018)
By far the wine of the night. Liquid gold. Apricots, honey, golden apples and subtle spices. Super concentration and good acidity. This is still young and has another 20 years of enjoyment. Amazing! (96 points)

2001 Robert Chevillon Roncieres. Perfect balance,amazing length, full and rich.

2011 Allemand Sans Soufre.

NV Agrapart Les 7 Crus over Seafood Platter in Reims. What a combination.