Not Craigslist, but a recent cellar score ISO of help consuming.

Didn’t find these on Craigslist but I grabbed a mixed case of wines from a cellar sale. Owner was a vintner and passed away a few years ago, Wife selling off what’s left in his cellar.

1997 Martini & Prati Zinfandel Riserva di Famiglia x2
1984 Dehlinger Sonoma County Merlot x3
1980 Villa Mt Eden Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - 1985 NVWA lot #403 - x2
1974 Grand Cru Vineyards Sonoma Valley Zinfandel Late Harvest
1980 Jordan Alexander Valley Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
1983 Clos du Val Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
1982 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Late Harvest
1985 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Special Selection Napa Valley Wine Auction

15FEFF0A-1709-447F-95AA-BB1C4C327F00.jpeg
36D2F98A-649A-4F0C-B987-FAACA8D66F40.jpeg
Anyone local want to help plow through these?

4 Likes

Looks like a fun assortment. Hopefully a few bottles will shine.

Brian, where exactly is local? As in, where do you live?!?!?

Sonoma County

Nice score buddy! I have a bottle of that 1980 Villa Mt. Eden so I’d love to hear how that’s drinking! Also the 1976 bottling of that Grand Cru Vineyards LH zin, but I haven’t opened one yet so no idea what to expect.

So basically…I’m zero help, but looking forward to hearing your notes, ha!

1 Like

Wish I was local! Seems like an interesting mix of bottles, Brian. I’m particularly curious to hear how the ‘84 Dehlinger Merlots are.

1 Like

Looks like a lot of interesting drinking, especially with the expectation that the wines were properly cellared.

1 Like

In this case I live on the wrong coast! I hope you have a lot of winners! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Brian,

You think those Late Harvest Zins are like pancake syrup by now?

Only one way to find out!

We opened some 70s LH Zins a few years back the were at least interesting if not surprising. It’s about the thrill of the hunt.

I figure the Mt Eden, Martini & Prati and the Dehlinger will be first up since I have multiples of each. We’ll see.

1 Like

interesting assortment! would love to sample some on a weekend one of these days

VME should be good, those were the Nils Venge years and they had much better sourcing than today. 1976, 1978, 1979 were quite good too.

1 Like

If I ever finish my cellar I’ll throw a come drink my wine offline. You’re welcome to join in. [berserker.gif]

1 Like

Awesome score Brian and generous of you to offer to share the cork popping. I’m sure the Vintner would toast your experiences . Have fun tasting them and please do report back as these history data points are so fun [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Well, you see, my Wife does not like aged wine so much and I don’t like to drink alone because you know when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself. [wink.gif] So, I invite people over to drink with me. It’s kinda why I buy wine. [cheers.gif]

Nice score! I had one of those 85 Mondavi’s at maybe age 25 or so…and that specific bottle was pretty tired then. Maybe it was a storage issue (it was purchased well after release) but I remember the dinner that went with it meatloaf Wellington which sounds odd but tastes great.

Enough of that! [snort.gif]

Wow! That’s a party I’d love to be at! I’ll be in San Diego in 2 weeks, does that count? Hah!
A friend of mine swears by those old Clos du Val’s.

Just made my arrangements for my fall visit, hope you can save a bottle or two for the first week of October.

1 Like