Nomacork

It says “100% recyclable”.

So I separate out paper, glass, metal and plastic. I know it doesn’t go with paper, glass or metal, can I really just put it in with my plastics?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dan Kravitz

You got me curious, so I looked at their website. Seems that you’re supposed to put it with plastics — the relevant text seems to be:

Nomacorc Green Line closures are designed to be 100% recyclable. To recycle our closures, please refer to the current rules on the plastic recycling processes in your own country.

Link is here: Vinventions | Innovative and sustainable closure solutions with oenological expertise

This is the better term to highlight. The problem is that they don’t provide guidance as to which plastic it’s bioengineered to be similar to. And the fact that they have an empty FAQ on recycling is pretty telling: Vinventions | Innovative and sustainable closure solutions with oenological expertise

Unless there’s clear guidance, you should probably throw it away instead of adding it to the recycling stream - the chance of it contaminating a batch of recycled plastics and sending the entire lot to landfill gives it the potential to be actively harmful to the recycling process.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Landfill it is.

Dan Kravitz