Nobu-style SALMON (miso-glazed)

Here we have a NOBU-inspired broiled salmon by Kenji López-Alt published at seriouseats.com

The original recipe is based on black cod made by the famous restaurant NOBU. Of course you know this recipe already, as it is almost a classic.

Perfect to serve for guests, as the broiler does all the work and you only have to care for the side dishes.

Anyway, it’s cheap, simple, fast and more importantly freaking delicious.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup red or white miso
  • 1/3 cup sake
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 salmon fillets, at least 1 inch thick, 5 to 6 ounces each
  • 2 tbsp mirin (optional)

Preparation

1. Whisk together miso, sake, soy sauce, oil, sugar and optional mirin.

1. Transfer salmon to a plastic zipper lock bag or sealable container. Add marinade and put in the fridge for a few hours or even better overnight.

1. Heat a broiler (toaster oven or regular oven) to high. My new Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer was the perfect tool. Cover a small broiler pan with aluminum foil.

1. Broil until top surface is well charred about 5-10 minutes, using the foil after 5min to protect any areas that threaten to burn. Serve immediately.

Note: the center should be at just about 115 to 125°F (46 to 52°C) which is a perfect rare to medium-rare. Use a meat thermometer!

4 Likes

Looks delicious. What sides did you put it with? And what was your wine pairing?

Basmati rice from a rice cooker. I recommend to add pieces of lemongrass incl. 1 tsp salt to the rice at the beginning, then start the rice cooker.

In addition carrots cooked in my homemade Teriyaki sauce.

I recommend Chardonnay or Champagne.

P.S.

I am a big fan of a rice cooker, as it cooks the rice perfectly and you have the option after the cooking, around 15min, to use the keep-warm function for several minutes or hours.

1 Like

Yum! I make a similar Salmon Miso recipe that Akiko Freeman of Freeman Winery shared with me.

I’m curious, do you use the optional mirin in your recipe? Why? Or why not?

We often use a wok to stir up some baby bok choy or broccolini, with a little garlic & sesame oil as a side dish. There’s just something about a crunchy veggie side - to contrast with rich salmon.

We love our rice cooker too - the kids like when I do a coconut rice, but when it’s just us, Steve & I do lighter riffs similar to your lemongrass, like adding some minced green herbs (chives, green onions, cilantro, parsley, or leeks make it creamier) after a quick sauté in butter or oil - to jasmine rice. Steve sometimes adds a little grated ginger. Or we toast basmati rice in a pan, prior to putting it in the rice cooker - which gives it a nutty flavor. Sometimes we’ll use a veggie or chicken stock instead of water & add small chopped veggies to it too (onions or shallots, carrots, etc). We are big Mark Bittman fans, he inspired us to get more creative with rice.

2 Likes

I used Miriin, as the original recipe contains Mirin if my memory is correct, this updated version from Kenji has not. Why he did not use it this time, I don`t know. I find the little sweetness from Mirin fits well with salmon or black cod.

Baby bok choy and broccolini is a good idea. I should cook more often with it, as I like baby bok choy quite a lot.

I am a purist, I love the pure Basmati rice with just a hint of lemongrass. Fair to say I made a Persian rice with pistacchio, saffron and barberries a couple of weeks ago, as my wilfe loves this version. Quite tasty I have to admit.

Thanks Martin, I appreciate your perspective.

I’ve tried it a number of times with, and without mirin (both with salmon and black cod) and I REALLY prefer it with mirin. I think the slight sweetness/sugar makes it crisp up better too.

My other half can’t tell the difference - and it’s SO clearly & definitively different to me…

P.S. your Persian rice dish sounds very intriguing, I’ll need to explore ….

2 Likes

I have a side of Ora King salmon already on the way so cool, something to try out.

1 Like

Ha! Just finished prepping the Miso marinade for some cod right now. Yielded enough to save some for salmon next week.

1 Like

Real mirin?

I don’t think it is real Mirin, real Mirin is too expensive. I would say it is a cooking Mirin, Hon Mirin it is labeled on the back.

One of my favorite dishes with sticky rice and Japanese style pickled cucumber. I use sake kasu in the marinade, and a lot more kasu than miso, and skip the sugar altogether since the kasu and mirin are sweet. Sometimes sake and no mirin, and marinate at least 2 days. I make the marinade in a Nutribullet.

edited the title mostly for selfish reasons, when I next look for it to make! (plus it’s helpful)

Making!

The sugar is more for the caramelization during the high heat cooking.

One of the best easy to make:delicious ratios of anything I make regularly. Sake-Miso Alaskan Butterfish was also one of Ming Tsai’s 2 signature dishes at Blue Ginger in Wellesley MA (now closed). Although Nobu is commonly credited with this dish, I think I’ve read that it was actually common in Japan before him. I first started making it when Nobu Matsuhisa appeared on the Martha Stewart show lol.

2 Likes

I’ve also done variations, like pork chops:

4 Likes

Making salmon tonight (sushi rice, cucumber salad, gyoza) with baby bok choy.

Any fav preparations for the bok choy?

Petite Shanghai baby bok choy with vinegary ginger-garlic sauce (click two links below):

1 Like

Never thought to do this, although it makes so much sense with pork and I guess chicken too

1 Like