No one knows this wine? TNR: 2002 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvée Madeleine Collignon Marc Colin Grand Cru

Yeah…2019 Germans made this a tough year for that resolution. In my defense, Jonathan does all our German buying!

Is that based on knowledge, division of buying or interest? Reading your posts, I cannot imagine it is the third of these and would be surprised if it is the first.

Anyway, did you actually make any resolution? Since you are younger than Maureen, Alan and me, is there any reason for you to cut back? My cellar size has been pretty stable the last couple of years as I have cut purchasing. Consumption probably has gone down some this year as we don’t go out to dinner (and have not had dinners with our tasting group) or have not had larger dinners with friends (only outside, one couple at a time) since the pandemic started and at those dinners we generally opened more bottles than normal.

It’s mostly because of relationships. Jonathan has the personal connections here and in Europe for our main sources of German wine, so he puts in the orders. We are on the same page nearly 100% when it comes to producers, and usually discuss quantities for any larger purchases, but I don’t always know what we’ve bought until he sends me the invoice to enter into CT. That part is division of labor - I do all the online maintenance, he does all the physical shelving. And while I’m very flattered by your comment, I will be honest and admit that he is indeed more knowledgeable than I am about German wines in many ways.

We did make a decision to reduce buying and try to reduce overall cellar size even before I lost my job. For the most part, we’ve been successful, despite a few epic failure months. We have a lot of wine. We combined two solid sized cellars when we got married, and then got excited about buying together, especially after we completed the house/cellar and everything we ordered came directly home. Looking at what we own, and the projected aging potential, plus our ages (46 and soon-48) we didn’t think we needed to by buying much young wine anymore. It’s mostly just Germany and Champagne we buy now, plus some inexpensive daily drinkers and a few considered additions like some 2016 Piedmont.

I know many of us would love to see his input here on berserkers it’s it’s even half as good as yours.

LOL - that’s very kind of you, Alan. But trust me when I tell you that it’s better for all of us if his occasional input comes filtered through me.

ha. That makes me want to meet him even more. Unfiltered!

+1 and after few glasses of wine.

I imported ALL of this wine, 2002 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvée Madeleine Collignon, Marc Colin, Grand Cru, into the US, Denver, Colorado.

Marc Colin, father of Pierre was chosen to finish the elevage. Marc is the father of PYEC in 2005, presided over a division of his estate among his four children, and Pierre-Yves Colin – who had worked at his father’s estate since 1995 and had been making a few barrels of his own from purchased grapes since 2001 – elected to strike out on his own, bottling in his inaugural vintage of 2006.

This wine was purchased at the Hospice Burgundy auction, 2002 for one private individual, who recently passed on.

Simple reason there are NO tasting notes for this wine <-> only he and I have this wine, and we did/don’t post on cellar tracker.

I did E/M Sarah concerning this wine, discussing options, relative to future possibilities. I do not write tasting reviews of wines for many reasons.

Donn Hein

It is the best wine of HDB as others mentioned. However, the quality can vary.

That’s very interesting, Donn and clearly a missing piece of the puzzle.

Are you willing to share a tasting note, or some impressions, with the community here now? It sounds as if many people are quite curious and would be very appreciative.

Sarah,

Impressions:

This wine appears to be destined for a very long life, properly stored. Strong berry aromas, with a long, tasty finish and ripe tannins. Every time I drink it, it has been more enjoyable. I’d like to be drinking this wine in twenty years.

I am NOT a Burgundy enthusiast, So BEWARE!

Thanks very much, I appreciate it!

Sounds very intriguing to me given your impressions and other data points from other examples of this cuvee and Mel’s impressions of it from barrel at the auction. Not to mention what sounds like perfect provenance. It’s ultimately my husband’s decision as it’s his business, but I think he’s inclined to move on it.

Is it this person’s cellar whose purchase is being contemplated ?

Simple reason there are NO tasting notes for this wine <-> only he and I have this wine, and we did/don’t post on cellar tracker.

While there are no tasting notes posted, one or more persons did post their holdings and consumption on CellarTracker.

Yes, this individuals’ cellar is available, I believe.

I do NOT believe anyone has posted tasting notes on this specific wine, 2002 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin, Grand Cru, Cuvée Madeleine Collignon, elevage managed by Marc Colin.

Each of us have gifted a few bottles of this wine to other winos, but, seriously doubt any notes were written by these folks.

Ok, Ok, check ct, many new notes may appear!!!

I have not drunk a ton of Hospice wines, but enough to know that I will never buy them, because in my experience whoever does the élevage, at some stage they are grossly over-oaked.

Hmmm. Can’t say that has been my experience. Some are better than others, of course, but as a whole, over oaked isn’t a descriptor that comes to mind.

I have bottles and mags of the 2005 raised by Bouchard. Have yet to open one but may need to try one.

I believe we’re going ahead with this, minus the rest of the cellar. With good comments here by Mel Knox on this wine out of barrel, plus the combination of vintage, cuvee, and perfect provenance, it sounds like a good combination. Tough to find 18 year old grand cru burgundy with great provenance for anything like a reasonable price these days. I expect we’ll keep some and send the rest to auction.

Thanks all!

great news. Sounds like a win-win.

Thanks! Might put some on Commerce Corner as well.