***NEWBIE*** YOUNG INGLEWOOD VINEYARDS - Library Verticals Shipping Specials

YOUNG INGLEWOOD VINEYARDS
THOUGHTFUL, CLASSIC & ELEGANT WINES
SAINT HELENA, NAPA VALLEY

Berserker Day 15 Offers

$35 flat rate Ground shipping on any order.
Complimentary 3-day Air shipping on full cases.
Email to Order

1) The First Estate Vertical

2009 – 2011 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Vertical
Full Retail $775

2) The Second Estate Vertical

2012 -2014 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Vertical.
Full Retail $705

3) The Third Estate Vertical

2015 - 2017 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Vertical
Full Retail $615

4) The Right Bank Vertical

2016 - 2018 Right Bank Blend Vertical
Full Retail $430.

5) Add some Chardonnay

2016 Linda Vista Vineyard in Oak Knoll
Full Retail $110

Looking for specific vintages or want to customize your order? Email me and we’ll figure something out.

Best Ways to Order:

• Email me. Include what you’d like in your order along with your shipping address and billing zip code. I’ll send you a link to review and enter credit card info.
  • Email me and include your billing zip code and name. I’ll add you to the Berserker Day allocation and you can order online through our website. click the forgot my password button to setup your password

Both methods will use the email address you send from to create your order. If you’d rather use a different email address, just let me know.

Special Note: If you are currently an active member of Friends of Young Inglewood, your club discount will apply to these special offers. Be sure to use the same email address as your club membership, but also let me know…it will require some back of house admin magic.

*Prefer to talk in person: Call me at the winery 707-200-4572

When does my order ship?

We will ship your wine when the weather looks good for the integrity of the wine based on our best judgement. If you have a specific deadline or date in mind, just let me know and I’ll find a way.

Last Little Details: We cannot ship to UT, MS or NH. We do have to charge sales tax for most states. We utilize 3rd party shipping for states with ambiguous rules. All shipments must be signed for by an adult. (A human over 21 years of age, actually maturity is irrelevant….and no, your five year old dog cannot sign for it.)

Brief about the wines.

Our wines are produced in a classic style. What does that mean? For us, it means they are not heavily manipulated. Think native fermentation, no filtration, minimal racking and the alcohol is at what we believe is a reasonable level (10.5-13.5 for whites and 13.5-14.9 for reds).

Estate Cabernet Sauvignon – 88-97% CS in all vintages offered. Blended with CF, Merlot, Malbec or PV depending on vintage. 21-22 months in 55-65% New French Oak. Organically farmed.

Right Bank Blend – Cabernet Franc dominant. 42-55% in offered vintages. 21-22 months in 33% New French Oak. Organically farmed.

Napa Valley Chardonnay - Jacky Young’s homage to Chassagne-Montrachet. 2-3 barrels produced annually. 16-18 months 30% New French. Sourced from the organically farmed Linda Vista Vineyard in Oak Knoll.

Specific Blends and details available by request…. this thread is long enough already :blush:

Who is Young Inglewood Vineyards?

Pics on Instagram

Young Inglewood Vineyards is a tiny family owned winery and vineyard….we craft ten different wines in most years for a total of roughly 600 cases annually. Most of our wines (9 of 10) come from our 14-acre Estate Vineyard, originally planted in the 1870s.

Our name is derived from people and place. The Young family stewards the land and crafts the wine. Inglewood Village is the old 19th century name for the neighborhood where our winery and vineyard reside. Our logo, the tightrope walker represents balance, the guiding principle of our winegrowing and winemaking style.

Our winery and vineyard are nestled in the southwest corner of the Saint Helena sub-AVA and the beginning of the alluvial fan that becomes the Rutherford bench. Our neighbors are the likes of Corison, Senegal, Barbour, Cathiard, & Dana.

Most of our vines were planted in 1997, but we have a small patch of Aligoté that was planted in 2013 and are currently replanting a two-acre block that was previously Cabernet Sauvignon.

Our wines are produced in a classic style. What does that mean? For us, it means they are not heavily manipulated. Think native fermentation, no filtration, minimal racking and the alcohol is at what we believe is a reasonable level (10.5-13.5 for whites and 13.5-14.9 for reds).

Never heard of us? That’s not a surprise. We are 95% direct to consumer with some very limited restaurant placement and we do not submit our wines for scoring.

“You can submit our wines when you can tell me what a f#*@ing point taste like.” was my initial instruction and it has held to this day. Most of our current releases at two barrels or elss, sell out to our Friends of Young Inglewood membership.

Our 150-year-old organically farmed 14 acre vineyard is planted to Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Carmenere and a ¼ acre of Aligoté. We currently have certifications with CCOF, Fish Friendly Farming and the Napa Green project.

We have a deep library of older vintages, but for the past two years our current releases have been fully allocated to our wine club, Friends of Young Inglewood.

If you have any questions, please reach out to me at mark@younginglewood.com

Who’s this Mark guy?

In the early nineties after dropping out of college, a friend helped me get a job doing dishes and bussing tables at a tiny little restaurant in St Louis. After seeing how much cash the waiters and waitresses were leaving with each night, I told the chef-owner that I wanted to wait tables. (the term “server” wasn’t around yet then…at least not in Missouri)

He responded with, “when you know what every dish on the menu tastes like…from experience and you know what every wine on the wine list tastes like…from experience…I’ll think about it.”

From that week onward, every time I worked a full shift, he would prepare a dish for me at the end of service and after I finished, he would come over and sit with me and we would just discuss the dish. How flavors mixed, textures, temperature, all the food geek stuff that would become popular a decade or so later. In addition to getting fed, every Thursday he had me come in early to sit with him at our “large” table while he met with the various wine reps.

“When I go over and sit down, you come over and sit down next to me and shut up. I’ll tell you when you can talk. If anyone asks how old you are, you must tell them the truth…No one is going to ask.” Were his instructions on how I would start learning about wine.

My third time sitting at the table, I was finally invited to speak…” Tell us what you smell. The first thing that comes to mind.” Were my instructions.

“This smells like dirt.” I started to say.

I hadn’t fully pronounced the “t” in dirt when chef responded, cutting me off “WE CALL THAT EARTHY!”

And so, my wine journey began…

Vin part duex

A little over twenty years ago, I packed everything I could fit into my Honda Civic and headed west to Napa Valley where I found employment as an assistant manager at the busiest tasting room on highway 29. Over the next ten years I held many jobs, learning as much as I could before moving on to the next, searching for a place to call “home”. All the jobs lasted at least a year, but none more than three. They include V. Sattui Winery & Castello di Amorosa, Franciscan, Nickel & Nickel, Girard, and Crocker & Starr.

For a little over the past decade, I’ve been the DtC Director at Young Inglewood Vineyards, a project I helped launch in 2013 when I created the hospitality, marketing and DtC programs here while also helping with production and vineyard work when asked. (It happened somewhat regularly in the early days, but now outside of helping sort fruit at harvest, if they ask me for help, they’re desperate, I know what I’m doing, but I’m slow as hell compared to the real vineyard and cellar workers)

If you have any questions, please reach out to me at mark@younginglewood.com

Cheers,

Mark Simon
DtC Director
Young Inglewood Vineyards.

1 Like

On a cold evening shortly before Christmas, six of us gathered to taste through a set of sample bottles sent from Young Inglewood Vineyards. Four of us were serious wine geeks, while the other two were wine drinkers who haven’t yet fallen over the edge into Berserker-level enthusiasm. We had a great time sitting with these wines for the better part of 2.5 hours.

The wines were all decanted approximately 45 minutes before tasting. All bottles were sound.

We started with the 2018 Young Inglewood Chardonnay, from the Linda Vista Vineyard in Napa Valley. According to notes provided by the winery, this is 100% Chard aged 16 months in 2/3 French oak and 1/3 steel, with an ABV of 12.8%. The wine was a beautiful straw to light gold color in the glass and, in the early going, the nose displayed light notes of citrus, fresh-cut green apple, and lemongrass. The palate has a good acidity to it, which all tasters noted and enjoyed. No sign of the oak on the palate; this instead offered up a nice sense of ‘cut’ that suggested it would pair well with food. One taster stated it was “on the tart side”, while another sensed some bitterness on the back end, but not unpleasantly so. Returning to the wine later in the tasting, the nose was much more effusive, showing lovely floral notes (two of us mentioned honeysuckle in our notes) as well as a touch of sweet grapefruit. The palate offered more prominent green and red apple notes, which most found to be a positive development, and the acidity seemed to be more integrated into the whole. At the end of the night, all agreed that this was an enjoyable Chardonnay and one they would happily drink again in the future.

We were sent three cabs to taste, and we proceeded through them in vintage order on the initial pass through. After the initial notes were obtained, we all returned to each of them multiple times to compare and contrast. It was a fun and instructive experience!

The 2011 Young Inglewood Estate Cabernet Sauvignon comes from their organically farmed 14-acre vineyard in the southwestern corner of St. Helena. Winery notes state that this was crafted of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, and 2% Cabernet Franc. It saw 22 months in French Oak, 50% of which was new, and has an ABV of 14.6%. Dark purple in the glass, with no signs of lightening at the rim, this initially offered a bouquet of plum, dark berries, cranberry sauce, and faint florals. I sensed some sweet herbal notes. On the palate, several tasters identified prominent black cherry notes, with various folks also finding dark chocolate, smoked meat, and green pepper in the mix. It was interesting but, frankly, none of us loved it. As we all came back to this later in the tasting, however, we were all was pleasantly surprised its evolution. This wine seemed to add weight with air and the palate unfolded to become really delightful in its balance of rich, expressive dark fruits and complementing savory elements. There were some lightly drying tannins on the back end. Everyone had a very favorable impression of this wine by the end of the tasting, with one of the more experience tasters identifying it as his top wine of the tasting. I would gladly add this to my cellar and likely will. It’s got years of nice drinking ahead of it.

The 2012 Young Inglewood Estate Cabernet Sauvignon was next. This one is 96% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Cabernet Franc, and just 1% Merlot. It also saw 22 months in French oak, 55% new this time. On initial pour, this much more ready to roll than either the 2011 or 2013. Many 2012 Napa cabs come across like golden retrievers to me – they’re friendly and easy to like from the outset, if a little more “what you see is what you get” compared to some other vintages. The bouquet on this was pronounced, with tasters noting black and red cherries, dark chocolate, and a hint of vanilla. On the palate, most of these notes repeated (minus the vanilla), with ripe blackberries and a touch of tobacco joining the mix. Someone noted a pleasant hint of leather with more air. This was fuller and rounder in the mouth compared to the 2011, and was the most fruit-forward of the three cabs. Coming back to this later in the tasting, the nose was still effusive and the balance of the gorgeous fruit, fine tannins, and backing acidity was notable. This was the easiest wine to embrace at the outset and it continued to deliver the goods over 2.5 hours. Everyone agreed they’d love to have this wine again.

The final wine was the 2013 Young Inglewood Cabernet Sauvignon. Comprised of 92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, and 1% Merlot, it saw the same oak regimen as the 2012. As with the preceding cabs, this is really a child of its vintage. The initial nose was full of dark florals, blackberry, and new leather. On the palate, this was a tannic and brooding wine on first pass, with sweet fruit making an appearance only to be swallowed up by the tannins that followed. One taster wrote: “If college romance was a wine. Tasty, brief, and you’re confused at where it all went so fast.” Someone else noted, “You can lead a horse to 2013 cab, but you can’t make it drink…and it would only make it thirstier, anyway.” Clearly the group was having fun by this point. Most of us found this to be a tight fist of a wine for the first hour or so of the tasting. Later in the evening – by which point the wine had been decanted for 2+ hours – it really started to show what it has in reserve. The tannins, while still present, backed off to show lovely black currant, blackberry, and black raspberry fruit with complementing sweet fresh herbs and a charming hint of pyrazine (something I don’t always love but which was delightful here). The finish was long and complex. This is one for the cellar; it would be great to revisit in 4-5 years and follow over the next 10.

At the end of the night, we were all impressed by this set of wines. Most preferred the 2012 for current drinking, with the 2011 making a strong showing and not one to shy away from at all. The 2013 is going to be excellent, as well; it’s packed with goodness and just needs a few years in the cellar to show everything it’s got. All of these wines show vintage transparency (if that’s not a phrase, it should be), which makes opening and following them such an interesting and enjoyable experience. If you haven’t tried Young Inglewood before – and I hadn’t before this tasting – I strongly recommend checking them out. They’re the real deal.

IMG_8178

5 Likes

Ok, I actually chased Mark down to participate, glad they are finally in!!!

Love these wines - the cabs, the right banks, and a white wine he’s not selling so I can’t mention it here lol

@Tracy_G do you need to re-up?? :smiley:

1 Like

And I actually contacted you more than two weeks before BD this year. Excited to be participating!

Andrew, Thank you for the in depth review, pics and thoughts on our wines!

1 Like

I’m less eloquent than Andrew, but I’ll try to do my best with the tasting notes. As with him, I received 4 bottles of wine from Young Inglewood and tasted through them with my tasting group, one of whom is a WSET-Dip.

2011 Young Inglewood Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

Pours medium ruby in the glass, well balanced with medium+ acidity and medium+ fine tannins, high (>14%) but not unbalanced alcohol. A bit closed upon opening, and still incredibly youthful for its age. This is a wine that will last many more years yet. A classic example of Napa cabernet, in a style that is seen less and less these days. Has more extract and concentration than the other two vintages tasted. This was the crowd favorite and I rated it 92 points.

2012 Young Inglewood Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

Similar to the 2011, but slightly more herbaceous notes and less fruit-forward. Still very good and deserving of 91 points.

2013 Young Inglewood Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate

A bit less tannic than the prior vintages, but with the most fruit. The most accessible of all 3 vintages tasted, and I rated it 91 points.

2018 Young Inglewood Vineyards Chardonnay Linda Vista Vineyard

A very nice chardonnay from Linda Vista Vineyard. The winemaker says this is inspired by Chassagne-Montrachet, and I believe it!

Pours a pale lemon in the glass, with medium+ intensity, medium+ body, medium+ acidity, and low (12.8%) alcohol. On the palate, lemon, lemon peel, apple, with cream and custard notes from the malolactic fermentation and judicious use of oak (this was aged in 2/3 French oak and 1/3 steel). This is honestly as close to Burgundy as I’ve had from Napa, and is really quite fantastic. Like the 2011 Cabernet, this was a crowd favorite and I rated it 92 points.

Conclusion

Overall, I was really impressed by these wines, particularly the Chardonnay. These are all excellent.

2 Likes

Chris,

Thank you for review! We appreciate your time and opinion!

Cheers,
Mark

You betcha I am! Just sent in my e-mail. I am excited to see Young Inglewood offered! Thank you for introducing them to us!

Thank you! Just responded.