Newbie Intro--Cave Dog Wine

Hi Berserkers!

Some of you know me and my wines already (I’ve been here for a few years), but since I’m going to offer on Berserker Day coming up I wanted to update.
Compact version of my long story: in September, 1969 I took off from Chicago to Europe to do informal “study,” ended up living for some time in La Suisse Romande, where most of the wine in that country is made, and my daily beverage was changed for life. Time in France and Spain then added to that focus, though I returned to the U.S. West Coast to study. That too got out of hand, finally ending me up with a PhD and teaching at UCLA and then UC Davis. Along the academic pathway, winemaking had become a core channel of my creativity, and living in Napa Valley while teaching writing to UCD V&E students proved the perfect context to launch my wines commercially.

So in 1984 I launched our eponymous Havens Wine Cellars (couldn’t come up with a catchy proprietary name at the time), which we ran for 22 years. I have focused from the start on wines with clarity and distinctly varietal character, which means staying in the cooler parts of our valley, which means south, where the marine influence persists. I was one of the first here to focus on Right Bank blends of Merlot and Cabernet Franc, the first to make a Carneros Syrah (1991), and the first in the New World to produce and bottle both the Iberian whites Albarino (1999) and Godello (2012). For partnership reasons we sold in 2006, and the buyers unfortunately turned out to be incompetent, so I spent a few years consulting as my main winemaking. In 2008 I worked with Ricardo Perez in Bierzo (Descendientes de J. Palacios) and there started an ongoing fascination with Godello, which I tasted in the mixed vineyards I was sampling and then with Ricardo’s uncle, Rafael Palacios in Valdeorras. In 2009 I joined with my young friend, Morgan Twain-Peterson, to again make Albarino (same vineyard) under the Abrente label, which we expanded with Godello in 2012.

When Morgan got pretty busy making lots of SKUs at Bedrock, I took a new initiative to create Cave Dog wines in 2014, starting with the Cabernet Franc and Merlot from Beau Terroir Vineyard, vines that I had put into my proprietary blend, called Bourriquot. And when the same Albarino and Godello vines became available, I jumped at the chance to continue with those varieties. I am now ably assisted by Barrett Marsalek, who has many years of experience in winemaking (e.g. Ravenswood, Round Pond).

So that’s the long and winding road that brought me to Cave Dog and now brings Cave Dog to you! (The name, btw, refers to the lupine habits of my family of Golden Retrievers.) I’m excited to offer these wines in this forum, as I think they are authentic cool-climate expressions of the four varieties I’ve spent so many years focusing on, both the library 2014 Red and the current lots. www.cavedogwine.com

Salud!
Michael Havens

1 Like

Michael, good to have you here. You probably don’t remember me, but I visited you at Havens over twenty years ago with my ex. I’m pretty sure it was 1999, and I remember being surprised that you were making an Albarino. In fact, you let us taste the press juice as it was coming out. Finally, I can be like Tom Hill and say I was there from the very start!

I really enjoyed the 2017 Godello that we had a couple of years ago, also, so looking forward to the Berserker opportunity.

Thanks, Marshall! In fact I do remember you . . . 22 years ago now! I think it was a hot day at the end of August. So nice to hear from you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the wines.

As a long time Havens admirer I am looking forward to seeing the wines on BD 12. Thanks for participating Michael!

1 Like

Great news, I drank my last 2017 Cave Dog Godello last month. Now I can re-up. Great to have your wines here.

1 Like

Oh, boy! Welcome Michael. I was a big, big fan of the Havens merlot and proprietary red back then. They delivered a lot of value, not to mention taste. Cannot wait to see your offer!

1 Like

I actually picked up a couple of 1994 Havens Bourriquot last year when they popped up at a nice price. I’m looking forward to trying them over the next couple of years, and to your BD offering!

1 Like

Thanks, all! Nice to hear from you!

I’ve also been a fan for quite a while and as with Dave above, I’ve picked up some 94-97 Bourriquot over the past few years to replenish my dwindling stock; also a reserve Merlot or two.

I didn’t realize that the 1991 Syrah was the first one. We drank it on the Wine Train in 1996 and bought three bottles in their store after the ride. The last of those was drunk about five years ago and it is still my favorite aged CA Syrah. I have a few from later vintages lurking in the cellar.

1 Like

Where is the Cave Dog link in the previews? I do not see it.