New York, Thursday, January 18. If Russell Bevan made it, AND YOU BRING IT, you're in. With attendance by the man himself!

CONFIRMED. DEFINITELY JANUARY 18 at Bobby Van’s on 54th. The wines of Russell Bevan. POST your name and the wine you will bring below and I will update with a list. We can accommodate about 15 peeps.

LIST of ATTENDEES with tentative wines (More wines but I have to review my notes):

JLH - 2016 Bevan Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Tench Vineyard
Jeff Lange - 2016 Bevan Cellars Ontogeny
Marcia Lange - 2017 Bevan Cellars Ontogeny
Joe Laronga -
Joe’s Friend
Mark Smith plus two others: 12 EE, 15 Tench, 15 Wildfoote and a bonus bottle
Peter B
Julie C 16 Addax Tench
Eric Z
Andrew Van Raalte
Dom Fontanarosa 15 Calytro 10 Oscar
Russel Bevan
The better half
David Rubinstein

Maybe more, I have to check other sites for confirmations

6:30 pm to gather with bubbly starters (If you want to bring your favorite bubbly, you are welcome to do so) and food and serious wine etc. at 7pm. I will order appetizers to start at 7 pm and red meat at about 7:30 - Porterhouse for X, where X is somewhere between have and two-third of the people there. Sides will be the obligatory creamed spinach and potatoes of one kind or other based upon the vote of the group. If you have any specific requests for apps or other sides or whatever, post them here and we will accommodate. IF you are a vegan who likes big Cali Cabs with salad and veggies (there are a few in every group) or you have other dietary needs, please let me know in advance and we will deal with your preferences. Apps will be appropriately unhealthy items like fried calamari in chili sauce and thick cut smoked bacon, plus a few other items based upon the requests I get.

Due to fortuitous circumstances, I need to splice a Bevan/Carter Cellars dinner between MacDonald (last week) and Myriad (TBD). Bevan makes wines for various wineries so I will have to draw a line, but Bevan Cellars and Carter Cellars will definitely be in. High end wines made by Russell from other wineries are a maybe, but will depend on how much cat herding I want to do.

He has confirmed attendance and I understand that he wants to bring some of his new project. Subject to finding them in my cellar, I will bring a 2014 Carter Cellars Hossfeld Coliseum and a 2016 Sugarloaf or Tench (depending on whether anyone else wants dibs on those).

Russell is worth the price of admission. I’d like to bring 12 EE.

1 Like

So true! He will show up with a Hawaiian print shirt and regale us with information about his new project.

We will bring a 2016 Bevan Tench and a 2016 Sugarloaf, if I can find them in the cellar, but I have a month to do so.

Has the venue been decided on yet? Is it only open to WBs?

1 Like

Come one, come all. Best way to collect lots of great wines. I have posted it here and on The fine and cult wines thread on Facebook.

Here is the detailed story for the uninitiated:

The event is January 18, but let’s say that is written in pencil, although it is a very hard pencil. I am trying to put the final pieces of the puzzle together but I wanted to get the word out ASAP. The key piece of the puzzle is that Russell Bevan is going to be in New York for a couple of days. He had two dinners scheduled, but one of them apparently crapped out because the wine shop that was hosting had a conflict. I got lucky and found out about that almost immediately, so I grabbed it as quickly as possible.

I have an intermediary who spoke to who spoke to him and he will attend with bottles of Adversity Cellars that he would like people to taste. If I get confirmation from him, it is definitely on for that date. The only question then is where. Our two prior “wines with flavor” events were at Bobby Van’s on 54th St. between Lexington Ave. and Park Ave. in Manhattan.

I would like to use that location again because they know the drill and good red meat is an excellent pairing for his wines. We will also have a lot of flexibility on the number of people, which I would like to keep to 20 people plus Russell and his wife, so if you snooze, you lose. However, I haven’t gotten a call back from the manager of the restaurant and I don’t know if the site is available.

If not, but Russell is available, I will find someplace else in New York city. I have enough connections that should not be a problem. The past events all cost $140 a person including tax, tip and corkage, plus you had to provide a bottle to fit the theme, which for a Manhattan steakhouse is a bargain. This time it will be a bit more because we will divide the cost of the meals for Russell and his wife among everybody else. How much that will add will depend upon how many people come, but if we have 20 guests, it’s only $14 a head more, which is still a steel in Manhattan, what with tax and tip and corkage and the wine that Russell provides for free!

And if you are wondering about our two prior events, the first one was SQN in May and the second was MacDonald cabs a week or two ago. I occasionally make exceptions to the “bring an appropriate bottle” requirement for Tete de Cuvee champagnes as starters, which has resulted in Salon, Selosse, Krug, DP and other fun stuff. The only thing that is prohibited is something from Burgundy, except I always allow an exception for DRC. Not that anyone his ever brought one, but I have never had it, so I always allow that is an exception.

1 Like

I have it on very good authority that I will be there, my wife. Excited to be in NYC and drinking wine. Russell

1 Like

I never understood what the “horses mouth“ actually meant, but in this case, you are exactly that. All I need now is confirmation on the location, which I should have by tomorrow. If Bobby Van’s is unavailable, I will arrange for someplace else.

1 Like

Count me in, will have to source. Excited.

1 Like

I would love to attend. I have some Addax wine which is one of his higher end label through the 2100 Hoffman Lane family of brands though I can easily source something from Bevan Cellars given the ~6 week heads up.

Don’t tell anyone, but I’m not big on rules. It’s a secret. If you are convinced that it is very good and he made it, that’s good enough for me. Let me know exactly he wine so I can list it.

Ha your secret is safe with me, and the 1000’s of readers on this forum :wink:

I think I have a good source for some Bevan Cellars wine anyways that could compliment what you Mark are bringing. I’ll circle back within a day or so.

I’m bidding on a couple Bevan pinots now

1 Like

Pinot? Bevan Pinots? That’s a Shanda. https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4045341/jewish/What-Does-Shanda-Mean.htm

1 Like

Oh no, so those are no good for the dinner?

A Shanda indeed. Jay- Are there any wines on your wish list for the dinner? A buddy of mine is planning on attending and he has a huge Bevan collection.

I have a lead on a '13 Bevan Tench. Sound good? Figured '13 was a good vintage in the Valley and could taste along side the '16 to see vintage variations?

Wishlist:
Showket

Should be great.

No. My normal answer is, “Whatever your friend thinks is great and wants to share with friends.” I am not picky and I like almost anything, except if (a) it is called Retsina; (b) it tastes like cat pee; or (c) it has fecal notes.

You know what Showket means in Hebrew? The Showket - more appropriately spelled shoichet with a guttural ch - is a butcher who kills cows and other live animals for food according to the rules of kosher animal butchering. Seems appropriate for big red Cali Cabs. Never had one.