New York City Restaurants

We’re going to Cosme tomorrow night. Two questions:

Is it a prix fixe menu?

Is the wine list available anywhere? I don’t see it on line.

Thanks.

1 Like

Not a pre fixe. I have never seen the list online. It is a very natural wine leaning list. The wine director loves natural wine, particularly Austrian. I usually go with German riesling which is my favorite overall wine but also actually it is a really good pairing with the food. They have good stocks of some very hard to get natural wines like Commando G (usually a glass pour) and Andreas Tscheppe. I do recall some Burgundy and other classic choices. I would not go with something too delicate because the food has a lot of flavor.

Julia. She’s indeed awesome … and correct :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the very helpful information and suggestions Robert.

Did chambers in Oct was busy, food, wine, service was all humming that night. I intend to go back next month. I try to go three times before I give any restaurant a true endorsement but place was good.

2 Likes

How is Shuko these days? I haven’t been in years. I want to try someplace new but my wife really liked it last time we were there.

60st and Park. Not bad and ok wine list.

The Modern Bar Room could work if you can get a table. The Grill could work to if you have drinks and snacks in the bar area.

1 Like

Thanks Robert. Can’t get into the Bar Room tonight. Going to the Grill Monday.

1 Like

I do Amali for business lunches and it is good. Can’t say I would intentionally seek out a dinner reservation there. It fits your location well.

1 Like

I went to Lord’s and it was enjoyable. Like Dame, a bit overrated as you mentioned.
The scotch egg was excellent. The venison carpaccio and steak were also great.
I’d skip the crab on toast, it just doesn’t have enough crab.

Chambers is really close by and I have been going consistently. The food keeps on getting better. They have, IMO, the best sweetbreads around. The last few times, everything was humming, as Bryan mentioned.

1 Like

very enjoyable dinner at chambers last night. sat at the end of the bar with a friend and had the gonon feray 2020 for $95 which was incredibly well priced. had a much better experience than my first time this summer. room felt livelier, music a little louder. food is good…not great. a bit too salty honestly but overall a pleasant surprise.

lords was better than expected as well. i enjoyed my meal more than my meals at dame. had a 2020 baudry grezeaux which was delicious as expected. welsh rarebit, scotch egg, kohlrabi salad, stilton and beef pie (a bit too soupy) and the best dish of the night was the skate with potted shrimp. heavy meal certainly but on a cold night, it was a good time.

just came back from gem wine bar. no wait for a table at 630 but swamped by the time we left at 8ish. wine actually was a bit disappointing with very few btg offerings (my friend doesnt drink). food was fine but the larger dishes were overpriced for the size honestly. $35ish for a small plate of carrots that any other restaurant would’ve priced as an appetizer. same with a chicken roulade ‘entree.’ that being said, good time but id rather drink at skin contact and eat at cervos.

This time it was the agnolotti dish that was memorable and the roast chicken with the foie drippings, shall we say, was melt in your mouth goodness. Comfort foods on a dark, rainy night.

Yesterday’s dinner at Claud continue to impress.

2 Likes

WOW! I can’t believe I have waited this long to go to Tsukimi, its 10 minutes from my apt…walking! Stunning meal.

1 Like

those tsukimi pix are awesome!!
that food looks perfect

Had a great week in/near NYC. Our focus was family and we didn’t eat anywhere particularly noteworthy except for our dinner last night at The Grill.

I had lowish expectations that were blown up entirely. The white truffle was the best I’ve eaten this year and last. Hugely aromatic. Vichyssoise with caviar was decadent, delish and something that I haven’t ordered in a restaurant in decades, which obviously is the point. Dover Sole was perfect. My wife, our daughter, and her husband all loved their choices, too.

We drank Ulysses Collin Maillons (2015), the best Maillons I’ve tasted by quite a lot. I decided not to decant it after talking with the somm and taking a sip. Pure and light on its feet. Great tension. I thought it was disgorged in ‘21, but I may be mistaken as I’ve not seen or read of a 60 month Mailllons disgorgement. That I recall. <$300 on the list.

That list is insane. And littered with Easter eggs for wine geeks.

I hadn’t been to the restaurant since it was the Four Seasons and I was a young lawyer at a firm in the Pan Am Building… We generally prefer more modern and lighter cooking, but the quality of the ingredients and spot-on execution of the classics on the menu are an exception to our preference rule and we will definitely return. The room is still beautiful and the service is casually updated, but not casual.

The meal was expensive, but every dollar was shown on the plate and in the glass.

Loved it.

5 Likes

How is Fradei these days? Especially after they switched to a la carte?

Would it be redundant to go to Fradei, Le Rock, and Claud in one week?

1 Like

Fradei also has a new chef who had worked at The Four Horsemen. I don’t think it would be redundant to eat at those three restaurants as they are all very different.

1 Like

i know i am in the minority but i did not love my meal at claud. i doubt ill return.

le rock is a good time out if…and really only if…you are in midtown/rock center.

i just got back from oxalis for the 2nd time in 3 months…their 3 course back room bar prix fixe…super delicious meal. $25 corkage which is unreal these days considering the quality of their food. i highly recommend if it appeals to you.

2 Likes

I love Oxalis. Check out Place des Fêtes in Clinton Hill - same people as Oxalis.

Love Oxalis too.

Le Rock is really good - I also work a block away. So good to have a high quality option like them. Also really enjoyed Naro.

2 Likes