New World or Old World? (Poll)

I’m close to 50/50 with daily drinkers, but the more I look to age a wine the more likely it is to be Old World.

robert parker is that you?

Sorry to have some fun at your expense Carl. just couldn’t resist…

on a serious note, there is a time and place for both. very contextual. the beauty is in variety and having both.

If it has no meaning, how interesting can it be?

Given the persona du jour of this Board (have you heard it said that wine drinkers are herd animals?), did you seriously believe it could have gone any other way at this point in time?

So just vote, don’t discuss, is that the preferred action here?

Grey? How about rainbow! BTW my cellar is about 87% Old World but I’m buying about 50-50.

I currently prefer old world, however, there are many excellent new world wines that I would gladly drink, but they just excite me a little less.

For you, Lew, “Yes.”

I’m not interested in where you’re trying to take this, Mike.

I claim victimization by age, allergies, etc. Started old world and gravitated to new world. Still enjoy a few Bordeaux and Rhone wines that are fuller bodied or more fruit forward. The 3 B’s, (Burgundy, Barolo, Brunello) almost always remind me why I prefer new world wines.

Old World has such great value you cannot beat it on all price levels. Cotes du Rhones in the $10-20 range and work your way up in all AOC’s- it’s a steal at every level for the quality when compared to the new world. You might have a few great bottlings from a smattering of producers, but when you put those up against the literal OCEAN of wine coming out of Europe, it’s like a tugboat going up against tsunami.

Now, with that said - Old California is a lock for a humbling experience everytime I have the fortune to taste a well preserved sample.

When wine was wine…

Isn’t “classically” just code for Old World? After all, winemaking in most of the New World is for most purposes only about 50 years old, which pretty much means it isn’t “classical”. A wine from Napa may balanced, but it still probably won’t be “classically balanced” simply because Napa is different from the Old World. It’s kind of like saying that one is more likely to find classical music in a classical music store.

+1, from someone who voted Old World and drinks a lot more European than American wines.

absolutely. far more likely, largely for the reasons mentioned.

I love many New World wines (and, yes, many are balanced, but I think it is FAR from the majority), but I drink predominately Old World.

Then take “classically” out of the statement and it still rings true. Balance is balance.

Old world for me, Brian. Buying more and more France nowadays, espcially expanding to Loire and burgundy recently. I sitll always make sure I have plenty of German reislings in the cellar.

For those of you who started off with New World, and then eventually gravitated to Old World, was that a function of your palate preferences changing, or was it a function of you were first exposed to New World wines and then later exposed to Old World wines (and you immediately liked the Old World wines, once you were finally exposed to them).

I believe I could have saved lots of time and money had I started off with Old World wines (as I never disliked them), but I didn’t; I was initially exposed to New World wines and most Old World wine labels require more knowledge to navigate than do those of most New World wines.

I find it interesting that the poll results have continually held at a near-perfect 3:1 ratio; at one point, I saw 4:1, but it quickly reverted back to 3:1, and has held steady since.

After new world for me will be dirt world.
:slight_smile:

I like both but based on my cellar I had to opt New World. Proof is in the pudding as they say.