New World or Old World? (Poll)

I generally prefer the old world, at least that was my gut response. I checked my inventory though and it is closer than I thought- 56% old world.

+1 the old world is making plenty of new world wines.

I gravitate to the old world, and CT says it’s 85% of my cellar. Clos Saron and Rhys are 5% of the balance, whatever that says.

old world for me

No, but in my experience (and I think its broad enough to be representative) one is more likely to find classicially balanced wines from Europe. Alot of this has to do with climate as well as viticultural and winemaking approaches.

I like a subtle wine that starts out slowly and builds up into “I could drink the whole damn bottle, it is that good”. I think this is Old World.

If you want “balance” you need to be educated enough to be selective, regardless of which I’ll- defined category you are selecting from.

Old world for me, both in origin and in what I perceive to be style. There is a difference.

+1 the old world is making plenty of new world wines.

1. I agree. Much of Bordeaux and Spain strike me as more New World than Old World now. But when I find an old style Bordeaux or a traditional Rioja, I’m in heaven.

These are broad brush categories (with plenty of exceptions and blurry boundaries), but they are not meaningless. I’ll take old world.

Yes,yes…but God is an old world kind of guy… [drinkers.gif]

Old world.

3.3% of my collection is new world, mostly Ridge and some Rafanelli from a little while back. New world comprises 5.1% of my consumption data, again mostly Ridge.

And by old world, I don’t mean internationally-styled Riojas, Rhones, Bordeaux, etc. Lopez de Heredia is my largest producer in terms of holdings; Dom de la Pepiere (Mark Ollivier) my most consumed (whose wines are decidedly old world, though I understand he sells mostly to the new).

On the other hand, I’m fairly balanced in terms of color! Red 49.3% / White 46.7% / Rosé 3.3% / Other 0.7% (Sorry rosé and other!)

With 125% of my cellar being new world, it’s a no brainer, which works well for me since I have…

Use whatever defintions of old world and new world that you would like, Mike. Did you read the OP?

Yes Brian, I read that. And because there is no consistent definition in this poll, how do you expect the results to be meaningful?

Brian - the world is not black and white! You’ve got to enjoy the grey!

[cheers.gif]

I don’t know, almost all of His believers are in the New World now. How many adherents are there in Spain, France, Italy and Germany these days? [cheers.gif]

OH,I was thinking that He was watching over UT,Ohio State,And any other southern major college program that needed Him to sell tickets,since He was on their side…much like to what you were referring… [wow.gif]

He lives in England now. He’s getting tired of the grey.

Who said the results need to be meaningful? I just thought it would be interesting. I find this thread and poll interesting, and hope others do, too. If you don’t, then just ignore it — no need for you (and others) to come crap on it; I said this in my OP, but you and some others just can’t resist the urge, can you?

IMO, a poll that includes a “grey area” option would be less interesting. If you read the wording of my poll carefully, you will note that I use the word “prefer.” Preferring one over the other is not a mutually exclusive thing — example: I like pepperoni pizza. I also like bacon pizza. Between the two, I prefer bacon pizza. Just because I prefer bacon pizza does not mean I don’t like pepperoni pizza, and it does not mean that I never choose pepperoni over bacon. See how simple that idea is? Of course, you probably already knew all this.

Again, this poll is meant to be FUN! If anybody isn’t having fun with it, then just ignore it. I sincerely believe nobody here is so smart that they can’t understand that concept.

Poppy,

Think of two things that you like. Now, ask yourself, which one of those two things do I like more? (i.e.: “prefer”) That’s the format of this poll for people who enjoy both old world and new world wines.