"New Wave" of Napa Cabernet and Sauvignon Blanc Tasting - Napa, CA - Dec 12th

Howdy fellow WineBerserkers.

Last year, after following the recommendations of so many other on this forum, I had the chance to taste with Dustin and Renee at Mowe Napa Valley. Simply put, the wines (Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc) were phenomenal!

The Mowe experience then led me to tasting with Andrew at Sown Estate, who is also producing an extremely high level Cabernet Sauvignon. After this, I knew I wanted to dive in further.

Both of these experiences were so good in fact, that they opened the floodgates for me in terms of seeking more of what Napa had to offer. More specifically, I started becoming Interested in the “New Wave” of Napa Valley Cabernet and beyond. I like to think of these “New Wave” producers as generally small operations where the owners/winemakers are crafting wine with maximum passion and enthusiasm for their product. Some of these producers may have labels dating back 15 years or so but I generally group them in this category.

Long story short, I have been interested in trying to get a group together to taste and discuss these wines. I think Napa would be a great place to meet ( I would love to extend the invite to some of the winemakers as well)

Here is a very general list of producers I am interested in for a tasting like this
Cabernet Sauvignon: Mowe, Sown, Beta/Jasud, Aerika Prologue, Palisades Canyon, MacDonald, Kinsman Eades, Roy Piper, Lithology, Di Costanzo Etc
Sauvignon Blanc: Mowe, Realm, La Pelle, Lail, Adamvs, Dana Hershey, Kinsman Eades, Etc (Less about “New Wave” on the SB front, and more about high end Napa SB in general)

I will personally be contributing
2018 Dana Hershey Sauvignon Blanc
2025 Realm Fidelio Sauvignon Blanc
2023 Lail Georgia Sauvignon Blanc
2024 La Pelle Sauvignon Blanc
3 or 4 Blind surprises!
And I am willing to fill in gaps on the Cabernet and Sauv Blanc side as needed!

DETAILS
When: Dec 12th 12pm - 4pm
Where: Zealot Bar + Bottle, Napa CA
Capacity for 30 People or so (I am going to put a hard cap at 35 and compile a waitlist for those still interested in attending after the initial 35 spots are full, I plan to circle back with people to confirm their spots)

Zealot has graciously offered to let us use their space and provide stems. In exchange for their time and space there will be a $30 ticket price per person, which will be turned into a $30 credit towards anything in the wine shop.

Atendees (36)
Branson +1 (Sauv Blanc’s + Fill in Cabernet where needed)
Chris R +1 (Eislele/Aperture SB/French SB + Lithology Cabernet)
Brad +1
Andrew G + 1 (2023 & 2024 Sown Estate)
Gene M (La Pelle/French SB / Possible KE/MacDonald/Piper/Tench)
Kha (2019 001 Cabernet / Walter Scott SB / Bubbles)
Keith +1 (Mowe Cabernet)
Rod (Bella Oaks Cab / Sphaerics Chard)
Jidhin (MacDonald / KE )
Grace + 1 (Sown/19 KE Rhad or possibly older napa)
Susie G (Bubbles + Cab)
Reid +1 (Tidings!)
Chris A +1 (Di Costanzo Cabernet)
James M +1 (Alioto-Tournahu SB & Possible Cabernet)
Daniel Clark (Tench SB/CS, Possible other cabernets)
Carson B + 1 (Beta or other Cab)
Charlie P + 1 (Filling in Gaps with possible Aerika, Piper, KE, Mowe, Palisades Canyon)
Jeffrey M (Mowe 2024, Palisades Canyon PS)
Sam A (Possible Mowe 2024 or other from auction)
Andrew T+1 (Beta/Tidings/Piper/001/KE)
K Tran +1 (Di Costanzo)
Patrick C +1 (Beta, Tidings, Fait Main)

Wait List
David B (Maybe, MacDonald)

4 Likes

My wife I would be in for this!

I have some SB from Eisele and Aperture Collage I could contribute as high end Napa/sonoma SB. Lithology cab I can contribute as well.

December 12 works best for me, going to be busy the other weekends.

If you wanted a Bordeaux SB comparison to Napa I could bring a bottle of Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc as well.

1 Like

Hey Branson,
Wife and I also very interested. Most of your listed Cabernets all sound doable excepting MacDonald, which I have not the opportunity. Might suggest adding 001 Vintners and maybe Bella Oaks? S.B. would be interesting however not much in our cellar to donate.
Right now 5th and 12th are open.

1 Like

Bella Oaks and 001 Would be great adds! Thanks for the feedback. We can all dream of some MacDonald!

In terms of SB I have a few of those bottles listed above so we will be off to a hot start on the SB front!

Following and I could bring macdonald if I make it

2 Likes

Interested and DM’ed. . i still have a coupdk bottles of 2019 La Pelle SB, and several older French BDX Sauv Blanc for contrasts. Mostly interested in the Cab and could gladly share Kinsman-Eades, MacDonald’s. Aaron Pott/Roy Piper, Tench (Piper/Pott from 2010-2014, 2017- current releases Tench,MacD.K-E etc..)

2 Likes

I had a 2016 KE Rhad and OMG it was transcendental.

1 Like

I’m local and happy to attend if there’s still room.

Happy to get my hands on some SOWN or open a Mowe from my collection

Edit:

Seeing that this will be at Zealot, please have me down with a +1 as I’ll talk to either John Tan or Scott Lange to join. I’m happy to help set up anything with Thad+Emily that I can help with!

1 Like

Happy to have you! I added you to the list!

1 Like

Hi all, the details are really starting to come together! Please see the updated post at the top with the details of timing etc. Please note there will be a $30 ticketed entry to Zealot which will be turned into a $30 credit for anything in the wine shop. I think this is extremely fair for them allowing us to use their space and stems! I will continue to update with any new details as we get closer to the date of the event.

2 Likes

Hi Branson. Would love to attend if still room. Thanks.

Sounds great Rod I will add you to the list, got any ideas of what you might want to bring so I can make a note of it?

$30 entry and that turns into credit at the shop is a great deal. Happy to support any shop willing to host this.

1 Like

Thanks Branson. I’m thinkin Bella Oaks cab and Sphaerics chard.

1 Like

Wish I could come. Dan Posner did this with Ghost Horse about 18 years ago. Blind, By invitation. It was a real eye opener. The Ghost Horse was excellent and most people rated it at or near the top. I preferred the Araujo and the Merus, and I disliked the Futo that I brought. It was pre-Macdonald and the guy who was supposed to bring the Scarecrow was a no show. It definitely informed my purchases in the following decade.

1 Like

I’d be interested to join. I can bring a MacDonald or KE

1 Like

Added you to the list!

Hi there Branson, me and my friend would be interested if there was still room. The wines I have that might fit in this category are a bit young but I’d be happy to bring a 2023 Sown or 2019 KE Rhadamanthus. I have some older Napa cabs but not 100% sure they fit in the new wave category but would be happy to bring one of those if you think it would fit

1 Like

Hi Grace! We got plenty of room still so I will add you and a plus 1. 2023 Sown or 2019 KE Rhad would fit the bill perfectly and if you wanted to tack on an extra bottle of something outside the “new wave” category that would be totally fun to compare as well!

Sounds good , thank you Branson :blush:

1 Like