New Orleans Grand Tour

Decades ago, I spent a good bit of time in NOLA for business. I enjoyed many great restaurants but this was my first real tourist experience…and it was a blast despite a good bit of rain. We got and AirBnB in the Warehouse District that was well situated but not recommendable.

Mostly we just hung out in and walked around the neighborhoods. Audubon Park was a great walk as was the sculpture garden at the art museum.

We hit up Bacchanal Wine a few times - once for a tasting and the others for some fine music. The wine selection is interesting. You just need to get over the steep markups since the music is basically free. Nearby, Parleaux Beer Lab is good. An antique shop called Lucullus was also diverting.

Fritzel’s on Bourbon Street is kind of cliched but also a respite from the chaos outside. One drink minimum and the jazz is just good enough.

Near our apartment, Keife and Co is an excellent wine shop. We picked up a couple of bottles to fill in gaps. Knowledgeable folks who helped us with other ideas. Some guy was busy buying Rayas and Coche while we were chatting.

Breakfasts were mostly coffee. Mammoth Espresso and The French Truck were impressive. One morning, the wait at Willa Jean was 90 minutes. We walked to the next corner and had a surprisingly good breakfast at the unfortunately named District All Day Delicious.

Lunches:

Leah’s - while waiting for our friends to arrive. Rice & Beans and Gumbo at this airport offshoot of Dooky Chase was really good.

Liuzza’s at the Track is all it’s touted to be. Oozing with local character. All the classics seemed to have a slight twist. Enjoyed everything.

Turkey & the Wolf - the line outside probably goes all afternoon. Adventurous chow and the collard melt is the real deal.

Domilise’s is the only place I go to every visit. The shrimp sandwich is perfect as is the accompanying Barq’s. First time trying other pi boys. The catfish and oyster were great. Roast beef tasted great but was a bit dry. Love this place and the women who work there.

Cafe Reconcile has such a great mission that it would be worth supporting even if the food isn’t great - but it is. Turkey necks, fried chicken, fried catfish, rice n beans and phenomenal collards.

Dinners:

Maypop really impressed. Dynamic flavors. Every dish was exciting. A 2012 Von Othegraven Riesling Altenberg Kabinett was a great bring along. We gave to som a taste of this and our 2016 Analemma Blanc de Noirs. She waived one of the $25 corkage fees.

Brigtsen’s wanted to get here because I suspect they will retire any day. Excellent but this was the start of an unfortunate trend of entrees coming out too soon - even while still eating our first course. We ordered a Raul Perez Atlaier off their list and paid $25 corkage for our 2011 Edmunds Saint John Syrah Fenaughty Vineyard that was very good of a bit past its apogee.

Dooky Chase this was kind of a bucket list thing. Some very good food (fried chicken) but more about the experience. Love the art work. We brought a Vigoble du Reveur Riesling and 2019 Ridge Pinot Noir Corralitos (terrific) at $25 each corkage.

Cane and Table this was like the Caribbean version of Maypop. Exciting dishes and flavors. Best known for cocktails which were great. We brought a fine 2016 Rolly Gassman Gewurtzraminer (picked up at Keife) and a fine 2006 Hermanos Pecina Rioja Vendimia Seleccionada. We got friendly with the GM (& gave her tastes). She charged us $25 corkage total even tho we also opened a half bottle of Durban Beaume de Venise (also from Keife).

Cochon this Donald Link spot is hitting on all cylinders. Pork rules but plenty of other great stuff. We ordered a 2018 Fritz Haag Riesling Trocken and brought a 2018 Andrew Rich Sojeau Vineyard Willamette Pinot ($25 corkage).

Commander’s Palace is certainly on the short list of America’s best restaurants. The already lavish setting is amped up at holiday season. For was excellent though there were a few dishes that were over salted. The wine list is fabulous - older vintages and very reasonable prices. We selected a very good 2014 San Salvatore Pian di Stio Fiano. The Somm suggested a 2019 Tyrell’s Hunter Valley Semillon that checked many of our requested boxes but was too light. Then we grabbed a 2012 Allemand Cornas Reynard. It was magnificent but not quite ready.

Cocktail note - the GM at Cane and Table sent us to Manolito a half block away. This small but serious cocktail lounge pays tribute to a Havana cocktail legend. Same owner has another excellent place called Jewel of the South.

Overall, it was a fun-filled fabulous time in this unique, party-all-the-time City. Like so many other places, homelessness is surging.

7 Likes

Thanks for writing this up. My wife, brother and SIL are returning after two years for a weekend of tourist fun in March.
I was really delighted with the price to quality ratio for food and drink last time we went.
I have Cochon reservations one night so glad it met your approval. I think we will do casual happy hour style eating one night and then either Dooky Chase or Paladar 511 one night. My brother has decreed no upscale restaurants so things have to have at least the veneer of semi-casual.
Will definitely hit Liuzza’s By the Track, too—btw, any idea how to pronounce Liuzza?
Dave

Heard good things from locals about Paladar but we weren’t looking for Italian there.

I assume Lee Uz a but can’t say I heard anyone say it.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Dave- check out Toups Meatery. On the casual side and an excellent restaurant. It might be a bit too similiar to Conchon but it’s really good. Dooky Chase only open for dinner’s on Friday or Saturday night.

We had a good experience at Paladar. Some dishes hit, some didn’t but overall enjoyed it. We do like Domenica a bit better though for Italian.

Liuzza’s is pronounced Lie uzza, hard I.

1 Like

Thanks! Toup’s was/is in the short list but I bumped it for precisely the reason you note given I already had cochon on the books.
Last year had awesome experiences at Marjie’s (RIP) and St. John’s and definitely hoping to hit something in those veins. Too many good choices.

Crawfish will be in season as well. The Galley Seafood in Metairie is a good option for all things fried and boiled. St John’s been our list and we’ll probably visit during our trip in March. If your a bourbon fan Meril’s had an unbelievable selection when we were there in early December. It would be a good option for your happy hour spot. Great bar and lot’s of small plate options.

1 Like

On a good few trips to the city, we really enjoyed Cochon Butcher as a great casual stop for elevated food - sandwiches, salads, drinks. Really well done and frankly I liked it better than what we had at Cochon itself. Really handy and very easy to just jump into. Same for Gris Gris, nice and easy to sit at the food bar and watch the kitchen downstairs. Enjoy!

Manolito is one of my favorite bars not just in NOLA, but anywhere in the world. It’s a special place and I only wish it was there when I lived there.

2 Likes

Lengua Madre was stellar Mexican. Only offers a tasting menu. A decent wine pairing option, nothing fancy, but a few good picks.

There’s also a BBQ food truck near the WW2 museum. Best beans I’ve had in my life. The sort of food that makes you almost angry at how good it is.

Unfortunately Lengua Madre has closed.
Ana Castro is opening her own restaurant, Acamaya in Bywater in the coming months.
Owner Michael Stoltzfus (Coquette) will open some new concept at the LM location, not announced yet.

Bummer about Lengua Madre. I had no idea.
Loved it there.

I wonder if either of the new restaurants will be open by late April when we will be returning.

Last spring on a short visit to NO, I had a phenomenal meal at GW Fins in the French Quarter. Fresh fish, menu changes daily.

I’m happy for her that she’s opening her own place.

She was a lovely host. We sat at the bar, asked questions about method and inspiration and she must’ve talked with us for 15-20 min.

Wine pairing was quite interesting. Bought a few of the bottles from it.

Just got back from New Orleans. Quick report:

Saint John was very good for dinner. Very savory and classic creole cuisine with nice touches. Rich, but delicious. The beef daube and shrimp Yassa stood out. $25 corkage. Cocktails were a little underwhelming, though.

Maypop was even better. Very delicious Southeast Asian / Southern US fusion, mostly the former with touches of the latter. Excellent all around and one of the more interesting and exciting places in town.

Brunch at Cane & Table was terrific. Also famously good cocktails.

I stumbled upon an outstanding wine store, Grande Krewe Fine Wine & Spirits. They have a large and very diverse collection of wines and spirits from around the world. I bought a bottle of Tribaut-Schloesser premier cru Champagne that the store private-labeled from the domaine that was delicious.

1 Like

I actually had very mediocre cocktails at St. John recently, too!
I had great dinner at Paladar 511, right next to Grand Krewe

1 Like

We are heading to NOLA tomorrow for jazzfest.
We have reservations at Palm and Pine, Gabrielle, Maypop, Sylvain’s, Zasu, Mr. Mao.
The only one of these that we have already been to is Zasu.
Looking forward to trying some new places and sounds like we need to find time to visit Manolito.

1 Like

We tried to go to Manolito but it was fully booked. So we walked over to Latitude 29 and enjoyed their very strong drinks.

We also went to Bacchanal, which was its usual amazing self.

2 Likes

Love Latitude 29! Try the Pandan Painkiller next time!

I had a Suffering Bastard (great) and then we shared a Jet Pilot!

1 Like

I’m also headed to Jazzfest! We have Toups, Marjies (pop up supper club since the permanent location closed), and Clancy’s booked.

We’ll definitely hit Liuzzas by the Track, Cochon Butcher and Molly’s Rise and Shine and are deliberately keeping a few slots open as my list is long and we can’t go everywhere. I’ve not been to Jewel of the South so that is high on the list for cocktails.

Lots of music planned too!