New Idlewild Wines, 2020 Favorita, 2020 Freisa, 2020 Grignolino

Finally getting around to typing up my notes from tasting this new set of Idlewild wines. Sam continues to fill out his portfolio of wines with a Piedmont heritage.

2020 favorita Fox Hill Vineyard, Mendocino County: Citrusy, powdery, herbal nose. Grapefruit, lime, minerals and a bit of tropical pineapple in the mouth. Very good acidity, light in body, I suspect this will put on some weight and texture with a little time in the bottle. Treat this as a very refreshing summer white. Very gulpable 11.5% ABV

2020 Freisa Fox Hill Vineyard, Mendocino County: Aromas of iris, rose, spice and fragrant strawberries. Morello cherry, wild strawberry, orange peel and mint. Mouthwatering acidity and firm but ripe tannin round out the flavor profile. Medium body, with the acid - tannin structure I can see this pairing with lots of different foods. Great first effort! 12.4% ABV

2020 Grignolino Fox Hill Vineyard, Mendocino County: Mixed red fruits on the nose along with a mild musk like note. Bing cherry, fresh red raspberry flavors with crushed fresh herbs, rocks and stones. Vibrant flavors, plenty of both acid and tannin but both are balanced with the fruit and other flavor notes. Like the Freisa this wine will be versatile at the dinner table. Another great first effort! 12.2% ABV

I have been lucky to get to know Sam Bilbro over the past 9 years. About the nicest most passionate person you will ever meet. Sam has always taken a strategic “long view” about the Idlewild Brand and it has paid off. Let’s face it, Favorita, Freisa and Grignolino are not going to make Idlewild rich but Sam wants to provide customers with a complete collection of what Piedmont can look like in California. Over the past 8 years the Idlewild portfolio has grown to include the following Piedmont varieties and blends. Quite an accomplishment!

Arneis
Cortese
Dolcetto
Barbera
Nebbiolo
Flora & Fauna White Blend
Flora & Fauna Red Blend
Flora & Fauna Rosé
Erbaluce
Favorita
Grignolino
Freisa
Timorasso (planted, in the future)
PXL_20210628_191745554.PORTRAIT.jpg

Still waiting on the Ruche. :wink:

1 Like

More seriously, I vastly preferred the Favorita over the Erbaluce. Liked both the new reds quite a bit, though Flora and Fauna Red still has my heart.

the last Flora and Fauna red was ridiculous quality for the price. have a couple more hanging around.

1 Like

They are ridiculous quality for the price every year. It’s the wine I drink the most of every single year.

1 Like

Nice notes, Tom. Pretty much agree w/ your take on these… you just said it more eloquently. And less boring.
I try every Freisa (one of Nebbiolo’s parents) I can corral. Sam’s is one of the best … world class.
Tom

Nice notes, Tom. I really need to try these wines!

1 Like

You really do.

1 Like

David, like the old saying goes, you never know :slight_smile:

Tom

Thanks Tom, yeah the Freisa had some flavor character you see in young Nebbiolo. Good stuff!

Tom

Dennis, stylistically the lineup is in your wheelhouse. Worth seeking out.

Tom

1 Like

It’s available and already planted and producing in at least one vineyard. One of the many varieties Bryan Harrington brought over.

1 Like

Good point Wes. Whenever the subject of new varieties or bud wood comes up Sam is quick to point out all the great leg work that Bryan had to go through in order to get them approved. I’m happy that Sam continues to carry the torch but very sad that Harrington Wines is no more. Huge loss.

Tom

Bryan is willing to do the legwork to bring more varieties over. Anyone interested should talk to him. He has the connections with various plant bank organizations and FPS, and will be out traveling in Europe again once things open up, so the related costs would be reasonable.

1 Like