New Home + New Cellar + First Deliveries of the Season

Glad to have something cool to share with you guys. Did a moderate reno on my new place. Master bath and converting a moderate sized utility closet into a cellar were the two big projects. Made a pickup at my friendly neighborhood UPS distro center for my first deliveries of the season.

Check out the images: Delivery Season + New Cellar - Album on Imgur

Thanks for all those who have given tips in the various build-a-cellar threads. The info I picked up here was pretty valuable!

Time to pop some corks! champagne.gif

Nice work Nick. When’s the offline?

Thanks Pat. October’s pretty crazy with my travel schedule, but I should be able to get something together for November!

Hi Nick,

Looks great. I’m planning on updating my cellar this winter and I like the looks of the racks. Are they custom? What wood did you use?

Cheers!

Congratulations. Great cellar and one with some empty spaces.
Mine is way overfull very little floor space left

wineracksamerica.com instacellar kit. went with unfinished redwood.

thanks! and if i picked up everything I have at offsite, this would be full and then some! newhere

Thanks for the info.

Enjoy your new toy!

Nick- looks great. Do you mind sharing a few high level details on your new cellar? Looks similar to what might end up in my house some day. Thanks!

sure, i’d be happy to. i didn’t do the construction myself (had contractors working on all the other stuff - they put it together, using a sub to install the cooling unit and humidifier.

the space was used just as storage - had some cabinets and that’s basically it. no door. demo process took everything to the studs and joists, linoleum tile removed. you can get a peek into the area here (original condition) http://i.imgur.com/7YcbUrw.jpg

put an exterior grade door on the entrance, and punched holes for the through-the-wall wine guardian cooling unit right where that little bar is in the photo. slapped a little door (forget the name for them - on a little track, bend in half upon opening, has ventilation to allow for airflow to unit).

studs and joists were wrapped with the vapor barrier, largely used fiberglass batts for the insulation. three of the walls go to the foundation, so not too much exposed to the warm house. when the space was empty and before the door was even in, i started to rough out a diagram for the space and figure out how to best configure it for max denisty. used GIMP, which is basically a free version of photoshop to construct a diagram to scale. i know nothing about cad or other design stuff, but this worked for me. just used 1 inch = 10 pixels, and constructed the diagrams.

one large concern was the location of the water main in this space (NW corner of the diagrams). ended up drywalling over it, and leaving an access panel that requires only a few inches to get in there. risky, but better than leaving too much space i think. shouldn’t have issues (knock on wood).

once the drywall was in, i was able to finalize the layout and order the racks. big ass freight shipment, had a pallet on back of a truck. not a job for the weak… was a whole lot of heavy lifting to get that off the truck (which only had the driver – not too much help).

assembly took a while - used the crown and base provided with the kits, but the crown didn’t really work on the corners. just left that be.

hope that answers your questions!

Nick- Perfect, and thanks!

Nice cellar Nick, what is the total # of bottles you can store? It looks to be about 1200?

i don’t remember what the final count was… i made some changes between the inital and final plans. but yeah it’s right in that 1.1-1.2 area

Well done, Nick. Congrats on the new place too.

thanks chris. offline soon!

That cellar looks terrific.
A

Nice work Nick. We moved into a new house this year and a built-in cellar is on my winter projects list.

Looks tight–in a good way! Looks efficient!

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Best,

Kenney

can’t have too much air in there, or you’ll lose all your temp when you open the door!

need to buy more bottles! pileon

If your water main springs a leak in that area, you’ve got bigger problems than a bit of drywall. So long as you can get to the shutoff, you should be okay.

louvered bifold door.

Nice work! I too was happy with wine racks america – except for having to deal with the curbside pallet delivery.