New Bordeaux Vintages: When do you stop?

Well, I am a lawyer.

Kidding aside, I do try to drum it into my sons that they have to work hard to be able to (once they decide to go off on their own) continue enjoying the life to which they are accustomed - and that fine wine/cuisine are luxuries which they must be able to afford for themselves. When one is starting out, there are many more things more important to spend on/save for than fine wine and food. My father drummed the same discipline into me; and it served me well enough.

Fair enough. Although I feel like I’m not one of the cool kids because I don’t care for Bordeaux. Same age as you.

In the UK most Bordeaux is kept ‘in bond’ until it moves into owners cellars. In theory this is a pretty good provenance indicator as it has spent its life in professional storage and can often be proven as such. You only pay the VAT when it is released. Around 1/2 of all my wine is in bond.

I’m 66. Cantemerle 09 and 10 and Lanessan 10 are my final purchases of Bordeaux unless I can backfill.

I’m not a fan of backfilling as I’m a provenance fanatic.

Now if there were only a way to back**age**.

+1 on provenance. I like the bonding idea.

Lots of ways of looking at this; it is not a simple calculation. Coming up to 54 and I said 2010 would be my last; but I bought quite a few 15s and have backfilled a bit on 11s and 12s.

Judging by the descriptors, 15 and 16 are probably better than anything that came before it, from my perspective. I wish these vintages came ten years earlier. We are in the post-Parker era where alcohol and extract are getting dialled down. Maybe in hindsight history might judge some of the fives/nines/tens to have been a bit overdone. I am thrilled to hear that some of the 15s/16s have freshness and deftness with alcohol levels well in check. The adjective ‘elegant’ is returning to St-Emilion.

Moreover the tannins are so smooth/ripe/refined in most recent vintages that these wines are much more approachable young. It’s what makes something like an 08 or 11 Mouton drinkable today where you cannot really broach the 05 and 06. Crack open a 2011 or 2012 Pontet Canet and you will be amazed by 1. The quality and 2. The accessibility.

So for someone my age if I can afford them they are still an interesting proposition. Probably the best wines in the world. We are still in an era of low rates…plus over-valued stock and bond markets…so why worry so much about tying up your money? Unless you need reserves of short-term liquidity. You could invest in 2016 and if something happens you still have a relatively liquid asset if in bond.

So from my perspective the case to buy 2016 - while may be not compelling - remains interesting.

With the advances in medical science and technology, I can see myself living to be 100. How can I stop with another 50 years to go? Besides, better pills and better wine are sure ways to prolong one’s life.

Well, that’s surely one way of looking at it. On the other hand, $hit happens and the world can go to hell like it did in Europe with Black Death 500-700 years ago. Wars can wipe out any advances we as a people make, and economics can play havoc with actuarial science (as witness the shortening of poor white Americans lives recently).

+1 LMD, Good for you!!! I had to work and study hard to afford the things in life that I enjoy. I’m teaching my girls the same as well. All these participation trophies and giving my kids everything has been proven WRONG many times over. So far we are on the right track and my girls/women continue to make me PROUD!

Which wines are you talking about? When I was reading about 15s I was very concerned about high alcohol.

Thank you, Albert.

Yes, learning how to work hard, and, understanding the value thereof, can never hurt. An old friend (from a traditional Chinese family) told me a long time ago that: “No matter how much one inherits; it will never be enough unless one knows the value of hard work.” We were still in college when he told me that. I have always remembered it.

Best,

N

I stopped at age 36 with the '05’s. I don’t care too much for bordeaux unless it is very mature. Using my current consumption as a basis, I have enough Brdx to last me well into my late 70’s or early 80’s.