New Bordeaux Vintages: When do you stop?

I’m 60. I have maybe a case and a half of 2014s coming. I have no real interest in 15s or 16s at this juncture. I am backfilling where the opportunity presents itself. I have a lot of 2000s, 2005s and 09-10s maturing. As slowly as that process is taking place, they are maturing more rapidly than I am.

Other than for provenance purposes the math is not there for purchasing and storing Bordeaux from vintage to maturity. There is so much Bordeaux made and available! Most of the vintages are trading at or below release price at the 10 year mark. Bordeaux is about 45% of my cellar and most of it has been bought at 10 - 15 years from vintage with good results so far (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc).

Yikes. Cold blooded.

I’m 57 and bought into 2015 Bordeaux but that’s probably the end of the line for me. In all likelihood my kids will get more enjoyment from anything I’ve bought 2005 and onward. At least it will give them a start to build on. My daughter and I joke about which bottles she wants to go to her. Based on that I’ll have to update my will to designate who gets what :slight_smile:

I’m 68. The youngest Bordeaux I’ve got are from 2010 (well, apart from a couple 375s of 2011 Yquem).

What if you stopped buying for reasons other than age, like, I don’t care that much for Bordeaux any more??? :slight_smile:

You look for a different thread?

Yes, I am applying the same reasoning to the 2013-15 Barolo, which I hear are/will be great. I chose the Bordeaux example mainly because the 2016 futures season is almost upon us.

36 currently, and giving it some thought, maybe will stop buying for laying down (including Bordeaux) at 65 - might still be able to follow wines for 20 more years at that point, if not, 10 years on serious wines is not a waste, and failing that, I don’t mind the kids inheriting them (though that’s not really my intent :slight_smile: )

With how well they drink young nowadays… I don’t know if I’ll ever stop.

60 Years old. I’ve stopped buying quantity of anything. Have about 300 bottles of Bordeaux - lucky if I’m drinking more than 2-3 a month now that my better half has fallen in love with Italian wines.

So now I am back logging on Barolo & Barbaresco -

Well played!

Honestly though, I know a lot of people who’s taste change away from Bordeaux. I did mean it to be somewhat funny, but I think it’s relevant at the same time.

The fact that you and “a lot” of the cool kids you know don’t like bdx is relevant to a thread on the age at which those who do stop buying new vintages? Um, ok. Maybe I should stop into every thread about a type of wine I don’t like just to make sure that everyone knows that I don’t like it. Because that would be relevant

Sorry, but what does this mean?

2005 was a big purchase. Four cases in 2009 and 2 cases in 2010 and then stopped. Too much Bordeaux in the cellar now for my consumption.

I buy some Bordeaux…like many have already said, I find there is more time to wait to buy it. Pre-release prices are not a “real” value. To put it into context…I can still find the 2005 Cos for $5-$10 away from what I paid for it in 2007 on pre-release. My money would have doubled if I had just invested it…so Bordeaux is not something I rush out to buy. I do buy some, when I feel it’s a really “good deal”. However, there are other wines (Burgundy, Barolo, Barbaresco, & a few other) that I buy on release…because they can’t be found 2-3 years later. Let alone 5-10 years later. Bordeaux needs to re-brand itself in my thoughts. The wines are good…but many have become a bit too ‘Spoofed’ in the last 15-or-so vintages. Oh…and I’m 40. So I expect I’ll keep buying these “age-worthy” wines for another 20+/- years.

I’m 53 and told myself that I was done after the 2010’s. But then I saw some '12’s like d’Issan and Pontet Canet at good prices…then the '14’s seemed to priced right and another four cases seemed to be added…then I bought into the hype of the '15 and bamm, another 18+ cases…where’s that I have a problem thread?

I will turn 70 this year. My last vintage was 2010 and I may never get to those. No more for me even in half bottles. This is true for all wines that need a lot of age. Not buying any long agers.

I am 63. I am not done yet for a few reasons. Post divorce some years ago, I extended mydelf too far on financial promises and liquidated a couple hundred bottle of mostly bdx and cdp. So, there went a lot of that period of time, and in the last couple years I decided to replace, and buy what I like. Second I do not buy into the concept that bordeaux needs to be aged as long as some of the posters here believe. pileon That doesn’t mean those opinions are wrong, just not representative of me and also others. It all depends on individual tastes. Are many of the wines discussed here better at 25-30 years old? Maybe. But many of them are outrageously good at 10 or 15 also. Some at 5. Depends on the wine, the cellar, the person, etc. so, I bought a couple cases of '14’s mixed, 3 of the 15’s, and we will see about the 16’s. Some for sure. Now the question is a good one though; I do think about it and how long before I hang 'em up.