Need Help Rose and Sub $15 Pinot

Chemins de Bassac Vin de Pay Cotes de Thongue (Languedoc) is a very good choice for Pinot Noir at that price point, but I’m not sure it’s available anywhere outside the NYC area. However, Languedoc-Roussillon in general is probably your best hope outside of NZ.

Ahhh you west coasters and your epic wine deals. Everything gets handed to you. Makes you soft. Us east coasters have to scrabble and claw and overspend for everyone decent OR Pinot we find. :angry:

Rose is easy:

Chateau Fabregues Costieres de Nimes
Chateau de Nages Buti Nages Nimes Rose
Bougrier Rose d’Anjou
Dom Des Hauts Plateaux Rose Cotes De Provence
Chateau de Nages Nimes Rose Vieille Vignes
…and many more. Just about anything from Provence or Costieres de Nimes should be good and under $15.

Pinot…good luck

At that general price point, I’d try to kill two birds with one stone, and go with a Rose Cremant.

I glanced through the Atlanta-area inventory at Total Wine, and these three seem to have the best Cellar Tracker notes:

JCB Rose Cremant Borgogne #69 [Jean-Charles Boisset]
$23.99
http://www.totalwine.com/p/126036750/

Albrecht Cremant Brut Rose Tradition
$22.99
http://www.totalwine.com/p/15866750/

Anne de K Cremant Brut Rose
$19.99
http://www.totalwine.com/p/132100750/

PS: I just glanced at the online sales for our local Harris-Teeter, here in North Carolina, and even Barefoot Pinot Noir, in 750ml, costs $15.99.

At sub-$15, you’d probably be looking at Pinot from Chile or Spain or Italy.

Tell him to spend a few more $$$s, and get a Rose Cremant.

Cheap Pinot Noir. A tough subject, but in a pinch I’ve actually had good luck with Line 39, Shooting Star, Deloach and Block Nine. Those would be crowd-pleasers actually taste like Pinot Noir.

The one Michael mentioned above from NZ; Seaside would also qualify if you can find it locally.

With rose’ there’s oceans of stuff from Provence at that price-point. Again, in a pinch and at a good price-point; Charles & Charles from Washington State should run about $10.

Don’t overlook some of the WB members: I’ve been very satisfied with pinots and roses from Cowan, Campesino and Navarro that sold for about $15 on BD. Depending on your location and whether the wine must be shipped, you still might be able to stock up w/in that general price range.

Navarro has a case sale on Pinot Noir going on currently. $18/bottle is over your stated range, but shipping is $.01.

P Hickner

Thanks so much. I appreciate all this great information

Oyster Bay (NZ) PN

Loire Valley and Alsace would be a good place to look for PN as well

I remember tasting this years ago when a sales rep pitched it to me. I thought it was pretty good for what it is. I actually thought the Oyster Bay Merlot was great for the money.

Maybe 10 years ago, Wine and Spirits magazine did an article on the challenges of finding bargain California Pinot Noir. With vintage variation, changes in production levels, differing fruit sources every year, the article stated that the inexpensive/basic Pinot Noir wines typically were a toss-up from vintage to vintage - more than any other variety on retail shelves. I must agree.

I am encouraged by the number of recommendations offered on this thread. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget about South America–the Patagonia region of Argentina has some great deals. The Jelu label pinot noir is only $11-$12, currently in the 2012/13 vintage, and tastes like actual pinot noir.

For a rose, look for the Charles Smith “ViNO” line rose. An all sangio from WA for like $12-$13 bucks. Lighter in color for those who don’t want a darker pink.

For Pinot, if there’s a Total Wine near you, go with D’Autrefois Reserve Pinot from Languedoc.

Decent expression of the grape and will cost you all of $13.

I think every Total Wine in America carries it.

-Aaron

You might check B21 online; he’s got a bunch at that price point (and even lower), including this one, he recommends:2013 Zorzal Terroir Unico Pinot Noir, Mendoza (750ml), which got a 91 from WA, for what it’s worth. There used to be one that I bought for my Mom in that zone, Box Car, by Redcar, but he doesn’ have it and I haven’t see it around for a while–was recognizably PN, and not over the top.

J M Raffault Chinon Rose (if available) is usually in the $15 range and has been good for my palate.

Do Cru Beaujolais instead of inexpensive Pinot, you get the best of a region vs. the dregs.

Can’t help with the Pinot, but we make a beautiful Rose.
IMG_1694.PNG

Thanks again. There are some terrific ideas here. Much appreciated.

2016 charles and charles Rose at costco for under $8

2016 Kirkland Cotes du provences at costco for $7