Need Charleston SC restaurant ideas

We’ll be in CHS mid-week in early December. Any current more up to date information on restaurants. My first visit.

There’s another recent thread within the last few months regarding Charleston dining. If you have any specific questions or requests, I’ll try to provide some guidance. Enjoy your time in Charleston…

James

1 Like

Just got back from Charleston.

A few recommended places:

Husk and Fig. The menu looked a little unusual to me so we passed, not to mention you can’t make last minute reservations.

We were exhausted the first night, so we walked 3 minutes from the Grand Bohemian to Hyman’s.
The food was good, but not great. If you have kids, it’s perfect. If it’s just adults, go elsewhere.

We enjoyed dinner at Magnolia’s the following night, followed by dinner at Peninsula Grill. Both places have outstanding food and service. Peninsula Grill has a Wineberserkers type of wine list. :wink:

I’d give a nod to Peninsula Grill because the bar area and the dining room made us feel as if we were having dinner in an elegant home. Peninsula is more $$$$. You can google menus.

For lunch the first day we ate at Fleet Landing. They overlook the water. A very not fancy place to enjoy a meal. Out of all the restaurants we ate at (B/L/D), Fleet had the best and tastiest grits.

We also went to Lewis BBQ for lunch. Be prepared to wait a few minutes to place your order. I got my Texas dose of pulled pork. The cole slaw (meh). The mac and cheese looked like we should have ordered it. My wife had the moist turkey. You can order a sandwich or order by weight. Indoor and outdoor seating.

We visited the Boone Plantation. It’s a 30 minute Lyft/uber ride away. They have a little snack bar where I had a chicken salad sandwich that was delicious, overflowing with food (had to be made fresh), and was only $6.00! Gasp.

We had plenty of breakfast suggestions. Day one we went to Callie’s for a biscuit and egg sandwich (biscuits are good down south). The food was good, but not enough to go back to.

The second morning we had breakfast at Big Bad Breakfast. It’s a casual place with reasonable prices. I got the soft and fluffy waffles served with fruit. This wasn’t your Waffle House experience.
The last morning I walked to Toast All Day (2 locations). Besides getting good reviews, a friend recommended it. There’s a long bar when you walk in plus tables. Very casual. I enjoyed the panko crab cake and poached eggs with fried green tomatoes.

I’d recommend them all.

By the way, if you’re a donut fan. head to Glazed Gourmet. It’s on King Street just a block north of Toast. He’s an Israeli that makes gourmet donuts. Rated 100 points.

Have a question? Let me know.

2 Likes

Mikhail Lipyanskiy.

Any sushi recommendations in Charleston with Shiki, Sushi-Wa, or Sushi 167?

Doesn’t 167 Raw have a sister sushi bar type restaurant? Go there. Actually, go to both if time allows…

It’s prob been covered upstream in this thread, but James is correct, can’t go wrong with any of the 167 concepts

https://167raw.com/charleston-sushi-bar/

Booked it. Thank you.

Anything tourist wise we have to see over 3 days?

Bump.

Anything tourist wise we have to see over 3 days?

Sorry, I’m just seeing the “tourist wise” message. I guess that depends on the party. Kids, no kids, etc. If you love history, the Charleston area is enveloped with the past. There are walking or carriage tours of all kinds in DT Charleston (architecture, ghost, etc.). Fort Sumter and it’s place in American history can be visited during your stay in Charleston. The Hunley is still available for viewing in North Charleston. Patriots Point and the USS Yorktown are just across the Ravenel Bridge in Mount Pleasant. Fort Moultrie is at the tip of Sullivan’s Island and easily accessible. The Market in DT Charleston is the ultimate tourist trap. Shopping, galleries, antiques, etc. are a plenty in DT Charleston. Depending on the time of your visit, there are a plethora of outdoor activities with the nearby beaches, kayaking, etc. I really enjoyed a trip to Bulls Island a few years ago. I adore Charleston for the food and drinks. So, plenty of restaurants have been suggested upthread and there are a couple of first rate breweries (Charles Towne Fermentory, Westbrook, Edmunds Oast). If you have specific questions, just let me know. Enjoy your trip and stay in Charleston. I hope to return before the end of the month…

James,

Thank you. Just me and my wife. Having dinner at 1886, The Ordinary, 167 Sushi, and Peninsula Grill one night. Staying at Lindy for a couple nights and Planter’s Inn for a couple nights.

Will definitely do Fort, but looking for some more walking and interesting sites in and around the city.