Need Charleston SC restaurant ideas

Leon’s is awesome - had a Bouchard VV off the list there Wednesday ($150)

Melfi’s is across the street from Leon’s (same ownership) and is a solid Italian place with a good atmosphere. List isn’t quite as nice.

Also went to Le Farfalle this trip. Slightly preferred it to Melfi’s for similar cuisine/menus

If you find yourself out of downtown and near Sullivan’s Island, Obstinate Daughter is worth checking out.

I’m picky about hotels and was disappointed in the Mills House. It’s perfectly situated in the historic district, but I was unimpressed with the service, cleanliness and room. I’m sure it hasn’t received a makeover since the 80’s or earlier.

Charleston Place is newer and more upscale. I’d recommend it over the Mills House.

Yes, that’s correct. They are sister properties with Circa. If you stay at one of the properties, a 3 course $55 meal is available at Circa. That’s a great deal.

I don’t know Richard or Linn, but we know quite a few of the front desk employees. We were disappointed that upper management decided to remove Spooky, the resident black cat, from the property.

Zero George. And eat there also!

Win

1 Like

Just back from visiting Charleston for the first time.

Food: Best and most memorable meals were at Zero Restaurant (special occasion) and Chubby Fish by a decent margin, with honorable mentions to Xiao Bao Biscuit and Lewis BBQ for casual changes of pace, both done quite well. Also tried Delaney Oyster House, Husk (at the bar from dining room menu), and Revival.

Hotel: Stayed at the relatively new Hilton Club at Liberty Place. Property still smelled and looked new, was clean and in excellent condition and nicely designed, and in a very good location for us to walk both north and south or catch an Uber/Lyft elsewhere. It felt like an excellent value vs. other hotels we considered. It is apparently a timeshare property, but there were no signs advertising this and refreshingly not a single person hinted anything about it. No safe in the room, but our studio room with kitchenette did have an excellent refrigerator, shower (nicest I’ve seen in a while), and even a Toto washlet. Decent fitness room.

Just back from a couple of days in Charleston, pretty much just hanging out, not looking for rock star wine and food experiences so y’all probably aren’t interested but I’ll throw my two cents in anyway. Stayed at Hyatt House, lot’s more going up north end than the last time we stayed there. First time at Leon’s, cool place. Just did oysters/shrimps/beers and a bottle of what is basically bubbly Chablis, don’t recall. Indaco for cocktails and appys, the polpette/meatballs and little charcuterie platter were tasty. Pizza and pastas coming out of the kitchen looked good, would go back to try. Don’t know wine policy. After walking around quite a bit Meeting at Market serves up a nice cold beer. And I know no love here for Hall’s but we enjoy it and they do a really nice job. I started with a proper Beefeater martini, my bride a glass of bubbles. Corkage is $45 and it is an American steakhouse so I took a bottle of '12 Marcassin chard and a '19 SQN Distenta I Grenache. Baby killer I know.

1 Like

Live in NC, try to go 2 times each year, last trip was in Jan 22

FIG, excellent food and service, more tasting menu and creative culinarily, small but nice wine list
Peninsula Grill, had to send my steak back, I mean, this is what they do right? Also had a wine snafu with the wrong wine twice. Like any other steak house in any other city - great for what it is but will never be culinarily interesting - attentive service though, but a boring, overpriced steak/ego wines
Chubby Fish - excellent, think northeast meets south with a few steals from around the globe with seafood
Leons - a party of champagne, oysters and fried chicken, what else do you need?!
Rodney Scott BBQ - Great, but seemed a little forced and chain like in the restaurant, food was solid, just did not have that homey vibe you’d expect in a bbq joint
High Cotton - meh, average if you cant get in anywhere else

Looking to try Circa 1886

How is Anson’s?

I visited Charleston for the first time several weeks ago. I liked it a lot (more than Savannah, which we visited afterwards). Stayed at French Quarter Inn, highly recommend. Big thumbs up on all four of our dining selections.

FIG - as reputed, excellent combo of regional/fine dining
167 Oyster - excellent seafood, no reservations
Leon’s Oyster - best fried chicken sandwich I’ve ever had
Chubby Fish - also recommended, no reservations/got there at 5:30 open on a Saturday night and was seated at around 8 pm

Nice Adam! What did you eat and like at Chubby Fish? Newer menu this time with a few new things. I am going tonight! Fig tomorrow and Leon’s Sunday. How was the Champagne list looking?

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the too late reply on Chubby Fish, but I thought the raw bar stuff - oysters, ceviche and crude were all strong - which also true at 167. I didn’t check out the Champagne list. We drink so much Champagne at home that I rarely buy at restaurants.

No worries, 167 is great, we hit that up twice on our last visit to town. Chubby Fish was excellent last night but they have very unconventional seating. We had a variety of oysters, the octopus, the cauliflower, the shrimp and the whole snapper. All were excellent and I think my favorites were the octopus for best plate and then the whole fish. Oysters were very fresh but to me are just oysters. Cauliflower was good for what it was but not my choice. The shrimp were good, not as good as I was hoping. Great service overall.

This is a neighborhood restaurant, looking to make a name for themselves in a serious about the food but casual setting (not touristy like many downtown spots have to be to make those high rents).

Realize I never checked back on this thread to say thank you. Fulton Lane Inn was perfect for what we were looking for, Circa 1886 was one of the best meals I have had in the last couple of years and the Ocean Course at Kiawah kicked my butt on a windy day… had a great visit, thanks for all the recommendations. One of the great things about Beserkers are the non wine related recommendations from people.

Definitely will look to try Circa 1886 next time as we are loaded up till we head out.

We just had brunch at Vern’s that was excellent and the kind of restaurant I love. Neighborhoody, excellent service and excellent dishes with a small, but great authentic wine list. They use the freshest ingredients that you can taste in the dishes that highlight the ingredients, not so much the technique.

So true about the suggestions and tips from the peeps on here!

Will definitely try 1886 next time!

Kiawah is awesome, not much of a golfer but love the beaches and going there in August for a week next month with my little family. The Harris Teeter there had wagyu steaks for not too bad a deal ($30/lb - prob more now with the run up of inflation) and they were super tender and flavorful. The weird things we all find huh!?

I hate to say this (since reservations are already hard enough to get), but I want to give a big shout out to Circa. We ate there a couple of weeks ago and it was the best meal I’ve ever had there.
I’ll be there again Friday for my Chas offline. I’ll report.

1 Like

Thanks for your recommendations. I’m glad I ran into this thread since I was looking for good restaurants to have date nights with my fiance. I’ve been looking for a pleasant atmosphere to relax after a tough week and to have a fabulous weekend.
Last time, we went to Germany, and we had a spectacular time there. The town we visited was cute, and we found a wonderful place to dine out there. The food was yummy, and the environment was calming and relaxing.

Headed back to Charleston in March.

We stayed and eight at Zero George last year, it is outstanding. In March they require a three night minimum, so we decided to stay at Planter’s Inn.

For dinner, we are thinking, Peninsula Grill, fig, and maybe husk. What are your thoughts as the two best out of those three

FIG and tasting menu at Circa
Pen Grill over Husk these days.

We’d love to see you. We’re in FL from the 21st through the 26th, otherwise here.
LMK