Need a red wine with almost no tannins, buyable in Florida or shippable to Florida

This.

Can someone please explain the joke!

If he’s drinking Columbia Crest, I’d buy him a Woodward Canyon, and some Benadryl.

is there a board joke here somewhere? this does seem like a weird question for an OP with 3k+ posts!

[rofl.gif]

Seems too obvious, Go with the Colombia crest reserve Walter Clore.

Duckhorn Merlot

Barbera has very low tannins and it’s delicious…

This was probably the smartest suggestion thus far.

I doubt anybody is actually allergic to tannins, because there are so many other products than wine that have tannins. However, most of the suggestions above tend to have quite a bit of tannins, even though you don’t taste them.

The only red wines actually low in tannins are Barbera, Poulsard and the other few varieties that are actually very low in tannins. Pinot Noir and Gamay might be low in tannins compared to Cab, but you can still make some impressively tannic wines out of them if you macerate long and aggressively. You can’t make Barbera or Poulsard tannic no matter what you do (unless introducing some wood tannins to the wine during the aging).

Of course the other option is to go with the cheapest mass-marketed red wines. Most of them have their tannins filtered away for that smooth, soft and juicy mouthfeel the consumers love.

my first thought is a wine made by carbonic maceration. What is Carbonic Maceration? | Wine Enthusiast That would make me go for Beaujolais, but Beaujolais tastes very different from what he is used to. I then went to Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Familiar, which I think is made using carbonic maceration. https://www.dirtyandrowdy.com/store You might check with Hardy Wallace, who frequents this board from time to time or pm him, regarding tannin levels of the wine.

Not sure you could find this at a store, but you may be able to have it shipped to you.

Is it meant to be a gift with the intention that the person will immediately love it, or is it an exercise in which to expand the recipients knowledge of wine? When I’ve bought non serious wine drinkers bottles in the past, something “better” that they are familiar with always goes over with more success as a gift than some obscure to them label.

Exactly, in this situation. It’s for a client so something he’ll be pleased to see upon receipt or at least upon first sip. I like giving wines that expand horizons, this is not that situation.

I kind of doubt the premise of the friend’s question would survive much examination.

But just to answer it anyway, your riper, lower acid zins would be an option. For example, Seghesio. Very low tannin, goes with similar foods as does the Columbia Crest, yet ripe and tasty to the civilian palate.

Kind of what I assumed, which is why I recommended going straight to the top of the CC line with the Walter Clore. Is it better than H3…well it’s smoother, plusher in that it’s certainly from better fruit sources. Probably something he doesnt know exists because most supermarkets don’t carry it, but he knows he likes the label.

Or probably Caymus, or one of those Orin swift wines with the crazy packaging. Isn’t that what these things were made for pileon

Great idea. That’s a good wine, should be similar to what he’s drinking overall just better. Nice enough to seem like a gift.

Howard - Thanks for thinking of us.

George, our Familiar Mourvèdre is lower tannin but still has tannin. If someone is allergic to tannin I would hesitate to offer any of our wines (red or white).

Without knowing the severity of the allergy this sounds like benefit is not worth the risk in sending wine.

Are there any red wines without any tannin? Maybe Hurricane or Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill, but any others?

Surely you wouldn’t have a problem with giving a client anaphylaxis? What kind of businessperson are you?

All done guys, most of you were helpful, thanks. My brother will get wines for his client from among the helpful comments, I forwarded all of them.

Good call. I think I’ve seen it at Costco in Boca.