Need a grill recommendation

After 23 years of service, my Super Cajun probably needs to be replaced (legs are rusting and I dare not move it). But I can’t find a good replacement. The new grill need not be this big (or expensive) - but what I love about this one is how easy it is for the cook to manipulate the heat intensity (i.e., just raise or lower the arm).

This is what I have now, albeit in black.

Suggestions? I would consider a wood pellet grill too. Not gas.

Also if anyone in DC area has a recommendation for a local place to shop, please advise.

A pellet grill is great, but it is not a substitute for a charcoal grill when it comes to cooking with high, direct heat. So for steaks (at least the searing step) and burgers, it just doesn’t do the trick. Some will disagree, but they are probably selling pellet grills.

If you don’t want two grills, stick with charcoal. If you don’t mind having two, a pellet smoker and a charcoal grill (basic Weber kettle on up) will give you tremendous flexibility.

My son in law swears by his Yoder. I’ve eaten grilled steaks and they come out just fine.

Very useful info, thanks. It will be hard to part with my super cajun - although I have been saying I have to replace it for three years and yet I still have it and use it so…

Yeah, that’s too much … what? Geeky grill focus? But thanks for responding.

That does look pretty cool. Mine does not have a system to cook with the diffuser removed, so maybe in fact that will do the trick. I’d be interested to try one of those or see one in action at some point.

Wowsa, that Yoder is expensive! I’d have to sell a bottle of Truchot to buy one! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah, I just looked that up too. Very much a Rolls-Royce solution, especially with the accessories, but it certainly seems impressive.

Although, that super cajun (in stainless) was supposedly $2149. Of course, not made any more. I think I paid about $800 for mine. In 2000:

I realize you don’t want gas…but… I’d strongly consider getting a Weber and swapping out the grates with “grill grates” brand. I can get surface temps in the 800-900 degree range with ease and the sear you can put on food is just magnificent. The thing will last a lifetime with basic cleaning each season.

1 Like

If price was no object…

Tangent… do you want a free small weber smoky mountain? I don’t use it anymore. (NoVA/DC local)

I wish that I could justify one of these!

Rectep pellet grill.
I can get mine to 600+ degrees for searing.
They now have a dual chamber unut where you can do wood or charcoal and also pellets
I dont sell them…just use them!!

That dualfire looks pretty sweet.

I like my Weber. Get a good wireless thermometer with the money you save.

1 Like

A classic Weber kettle remains the best wedding present we got. They are hard to beat for direct grilling or even indirect grilling (like BBQ chicken) especially when you factor in the cost. I’ve cooked with them for over 30 years. But you do need a separate smoker (IMO anyway) to make things like ribs and pulled pork. Pellet is hard to beat for the latter especially when you factor in ease of use. I’ve never had a pellet smoker that also does direct grilling but that is very tempting, albeit at higher cost. Just having one device would be nice.

If price is not a concern, these Komodo Komado are incredible. They will hold a steady temperature for hours and hours and they keep the moisture in. Custom made. Shipped from Indonesia

I was thinking about getting one of those Spider add-ons that turn it into a pellet grill, but then I realize… I like charcoal.

Can someone fabricate new legs or a new stand for it Maureen? Assuming the chamber is worth salvaging and can go another 10 years?

3 Likes