Need a great American wine suggestion

Gonna throw Spottswoode out there. You can get older vintages cheaper than the new releases online. Great wine, especially with 20 years of age to it.

1994 Dominus
1996 Ridge Monte Bello
2002 Joseph Phelps Insignia
2002 Shafer Hillside Select

Those would be the 4 US wines that I would try to find.

I have had many J. Schrams now, including some of their late disgorged with nearly 20 years of age on them. I like them a lot, but think that a Napa Cab would be a better choice here as Napa Cab is something different than old world wine, whereas domestic bubbles are far more similar to Champagne. If you go with cab, you get more of a substantive “this is USA” than you would with bubbles. Just my 2 cents.

Nobody has yet suggested any wines from Virginia.

I had forgotten the original JV nature of Dominus noted in an earlier post. I have to say the first time I had ‘94 Dominus was from a magnum that I sampled with a Coravin over the course of a few months. Given a few Coravin-related seal failures I’ve had since then, I would never take that kind of chance today with such a great bottle of wine. That said, the bottle was stunning could have passed for an ‘89 Haut Brion in my opinion.

So I’m changing my vote to ‘94 Dominus—even better if you can score a mag.

I would rather have Colgin than Schrader, as I think that Schrader tends to show quite a strong oak note for a rather long time. Schrader is probably more representative of recent trends in Napa, but I love Colgin’s profile. I think I’d go deep on Colgin if I wasn’t such a poor boy by Dallas/Wine Snob standards. But JR, your suggestion is shit compared to mine so piss off. Hey wait, common ground here, how about some old Togni?

With a $500 budget, also consider some good vintage Diamond Creek.

Nor will we.

But they’re really perfect. Just so luxurious. Anyone will tell you. They’re really fantastic, the very best wines. Try one. So perfect. I opened one and it’s just perfect. Each time its perfect. Now I’ll tell you, they’re really something. Everyone knows it.

WORTH EVERY $500 BILL!!! EVERYBODY SUPPORTS THESE WINES. EVEN WHEN THEY DO NOT SAY SO OUT LOUD. I MEAN, THEY ARE THE ONLY TRUE AMERICAN WINES! ESPECIALLY THE REDS. AND ESPECIALLY, ESPECIALLY THE WHITES, OF COURSE.

California wines, huh? Just a bunch of losers.

I would be thinking about a Cabernet from the ‘70s-‘80s, a good vintage, and/or a well aged Eyrie PN directly from the winery. The latter would have perfect provenance and could arguably be of higher quality (depending on specific wines, of course).

Perfect for a teetotaler.

People who know Virginia wines know to grab them by the bush.

Another vote for a mature Ridge Montebello.

With a side of Zin.