Need a great American wine suggestion

Excellent ideas - all. Thank you.

She likes Cabs and grew up in Brittany.

Hadn’t thought of the Zin…that’s a great idea…

Chris, we have a number of Napa cabs with some age if you want something closer to old world. Don’t know if you need it sooner than later, but Carrie will list them for you shortly.

I second the Geyserville suggestion. Try to find an 09 - this will be ready to drink. Unless you find an older Monte Bello, a more recent vintage does not make sense for her unless she has a wine cellar. If you go for the Geyserville, you can still get her some nice bubbles.

Highly Rec the 11TH anniversary !

Bubbles:
I like the Domaine Carneros Le Reve suggestion (owned by Tattinger) or Roederer L’ermitage (which are pretty easy to find en magnum…

Love the idea of a Ridge zin
Opus or Dominus scratch the same itch and are fabulous choices especially if you can get a hold of a bottle with age.

This famous and iconic wine, which was initially created by two great wine visionaries, who have since passed on, Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi.

The creation of a fascinating partnership, France and the USA. 1987, 1992, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016!

My exact first thought- though getting these vintages may be tricky…

Get one bottle each of Ridge Monte Bello, Stags Leap Wine Cellars, Heitz Martha’s, and maybe a Montelana Chard to round it out.

I like the symbolism of the “field blend” wine suggestion , Glenn. In many ways it epitomizes the USA. We are a “field blend” country and culture. Many of us are “field blend” in our DNA and ancestry. This woman is about to join in the blend.

Schramsberg Sparkling wine
Ridge Geyserville (which I think of as the quintessential American wine)
Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon or Ridge Montebello

Or, how about something that epitomizes French/American partnership, like (Opus One, a partnership between Mondavi and Mouton) or Dominus (that started out as a joint venture between Petrus and the daughters of John Daniels (who put Inglenook on the map as the greatest wine in California for many years)).

Love this idea

We’re mutts. Check your nose - I bet it’s cold.

For a celebration you need a sparkler. I’d go with a magnum of one of the American-French ventures like Domaine Chandon, Roderer, or Taittinger.

I agree that Ridge Monte Bello is a good choice, provided that it’s well-aged.

For a younger Cab, look at Altamura.

Ridge Monte Bello, 2011 or earlier (double decanted, preferably, if young) - game over. No other options, period.

+1

First of all, don’t listen to any of my brethren who do not like California wines in the first place. I agree that Ridge Monte Bello would be an excellent first choice, but you said “wine(s)” so let’s fill out the basket. The Ridge from a good year will set you back a few bucks, so let’s say $250. I agree that a Zinfandel would be a nice addition, and to average down, I would go for an old vine Carlisle or Bedrock of about 10 years of age. You should be able to do that for $50. If your total budget is $500, that leaves you $200, which I would spend on a Saxum that you can get in the secondary market for about $115 AND A WHITE WINE that everyone forgot about. You can get the Ramey single vineyard Hudson Chard and be under budget. If you get a bit of luck or one of our guys will sell you stuff they own at original cost (I would if I you were in NY) and you shave just a bit off those prices, you can also get a good appellation Cali or Oregon pinot to round things out. Patricia Green Berserker Cuvee, for example.

I agree with all of the others who have mentioned Ridge Monte Bello. For a good chardonnay, I would go with a Mount Eden or Stony Hill. Good luck and have fun with the search!

Ed

For one bottle under $500, maybe a Colgin?

Otherwise I think Schrader is one of the most representative American wines for the price - over the top and flamboyant yet interesting and delicious.

If you want a representative example of American enterprise in the wine industry, a Caymus and Meomi with a dropper of cannabis oil to taint them.

My 2 cents as a person who is a citizen but not an American.
Forget Zinfandel and go for Ridge Monte Bello. This might blow half the budget and the 1995 is drinking well.
For sparkling I don’t really know a domestic one that I can recommend, hoping for Rhys, but I haven’t tried it. Still, I’d expect it to be good and that might take care of the remainder of the cash if you get a magnum. I can try to help with that but, unlike some, I don’t have much leverage with Rhys.