Need a 2015 for the long haul

I’m with you here. We kept a large number of Zins for 20+ years. Most of them faded to nothing tasty after that time with some of them downright nasty. I’m not sure I would age most of the more than 10 years. [stirthepothal.gif]

When should we expect to see 2015 Barolo hitting shelves?

In hindsight and with looking at my own inventory, I bought pretty heavy into German riesling for 2015 with a 20-30+ year time horizon but not much else for long term cellaring. I plan to get Ridge Monte Bello and Dunn Howell Mountain, both which I’ve had before, but wondering what other Napa cabs or other cab-based blends can stand that test of time…

Not sure I would be laying down Insignia and Rubicon for 20+ years, especially the former. A lot has changed since those great wines of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, so extrapolate from chalk to cheese at your peril… From California, Ridge Monte Bello, Philip Togni and Dunn Howell Mountain are the obvious choices, all of which I am buying for my daughter’s vintage in some quantity (born 2017), and all of which are less expensive than Insignia (at least from the wineries).

For 2015s from France and Germany, you’re spoilt for choice.

Some of Weingut Keller’s GGs would be great.

Prüm, Willi Schaefer and Zilliken at all Praedikat levels are also worth acquiring, as are plenty of other Germans.

From Burgundy, there are plenty of top choices, all pretty pricy. Alain Gras’ Auxey-Duresses Vieilles Vignes and Pierre Guillemot’s Savigny Serpentieres will both see out their twentieth birthday in style, and be quite affordable too. Michel Juillot’s Mercurey Clos du Roi in magnum would be an insider’s choice, as would Ramonet’s Clos de la Boudriotte red Chassagne. Somewhat more expensive, Mugnier’s Clos de la Maréchale is superb and easily a forty year wine. If you’re prepared to pay the price of admission, the 2015 Clos de Tart is a monster, but far more complex and emotion-inducing than Sylvain Pitiot’s similarly large-scaled vintages; it should be easy to find. Dujac’s Clos de la Roche is a beauty.

In Bordeaux, I would buy Grand-Puy-Lacoste in magnums.

While not all 2015 Beaujolais are made for the long haul, I would also lay down magnums of the Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive from Fleurie, which wouldn’t be expensive to do.

You really think those will drink well in 20 years? It was a wonderful wine, but the 2005 Pure started to fray a few years ago.

Jadot have released their 2015 Beaune Celebration magnums, they also released them in 2009 and 2012 (those vintages were labeled Anniversary 150 and 153),
Would fit into your budget and provide good drinking at your daughters 30th birthday dinner and would still be drinking well at her 40th.
Properly mature Beaune premier cru is really Yummy.

Tasted that Amiot twice last summer. It’s impressive and needs at least 10 years to develop.

It seems to me Burgundy is more of a risk for longevity into its 30s and 40s than some of the other suggestions with a long track record although I would be relatively confident on choices like Ramonet Boudriotte. Re Mugnier’s Marechale, William, it can be a great wine - and I haven’t tried ‘15 yet - but I’d say the track record isn’t there yet for that long haul compared to the others. (I wouldn’t use the Faiveley wines as a marker.). So it could be ok, and other Burgundies could be ok, but I’d be more certain for other suggestions from Bordeaux (particularly traditional wines from Belair Monange or Ducru or …), Vouvray, MSR, and Dunn / Ridge.

Rioja hasn’t been mentioned I don’t think, but for those the OP has plenty of time, as 2015 reservas and GRs won’t be released for many years. I’d look to buy Imperial Gran Reserva and Tondonia Reserva on their release. In magnum. I bought the 2004 Tondonia R in magnum for my oldest son at about $70 a bottle on release a couple years ago.

The 2015 Maréchale is strongly reminiscent of the 2005, and at approaching age thirteen, there are no problems with the evolution of that wine, I can tell you.

I would have mentioned Vouvray, too, but the premox question is somewhat acute there.

If you’re a balla, you could give DP a call.

He claims to have It in magnums.
2015_The-It-Wine.png

In all seriousness, though, is there any consensus yet as to the cellar-worthiness of the Grosses Gewachs style?

Is GG made for the long haul?

Or is it still too early to know?

I’ve never had it, but Mr Buzzini raves about this stuff:

[u]https://www.robertmondaviwinery.com/I-Block-Fume-Blanc[/u]

It’s only sold through the winery, and the current release is apparently the 2014, but rumor is that 2015 was a small yet very potent harvest in Napa.

Some good Vintage and Single Quinta Vintage Ports.

A little less than 2 years from now.

I am not a huge fan of dry German Riesling. But putting that aside, Cornelius Donnhoff claimed to me a couple years ago his GGs are no different than what used to be labeled trocken. So unless he was glossing over something or things have changed, that’s one data point. It’s a different question whether one likes them aged.

It would great if someone could comment about any differences (other than climate change issues) between trocken and gg as to other producers. That would provide some historical context to the ageability question.

Only premox I’ve experienced with Huet was 2002 drier than moelleux. Have not heard any inkling this occurred or was a possibility since.

Tignanello might be a good one to lay down.