Faiveley Clos de Cortons

Rhône:
Beaucastel (esp in mag)
Clos des Papes
Chave
Jamet
Allemand Reynard

Lots of examples

2015 Bordeaux’s are very tasty right now but I wonder if they are too soft for the long run.

There are a lot of really good 2015 Burgundies. It is a really fabulous vintage.

If you want to stay with California, almost all Ridge Monte Bellos age very, very well.

Add anything from Hudelot-Noellat and Rossignol-Trapet.

The high-dollar ground has been staked out already, so I’ll flesh it out a bit.

Port has a place for this purpose, and while 2015 is not a “vintage of the century” by any means, you could do worse than adding in a few Taylor Vargellas or Fonseca Guimaraens to your mix.

Ridge Geyserville has the anniversary label for 2015, and I wouldn’t mind if someone would lay down half a case of that for me, for enjoyment twenty years down the line; it would probably be delicious for those moments that are special, but perhaps not Chave-level momentous.

I’d definitely look hard at 2015 German wines.
While not all houses have declared the vintage, I’d consider Port as well. Good vintage Port has a lovely, gradual aging trajectory.
Also, strongly consider Sauternes!

I like the suggestions above and would add some CA cabs:

Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill
Peter Michael “Les Pavots”
Philip Togni
All built to age.

As far as Rhone goes, after Chave give a think to Clusel Roch Les Grandes Places, Clape Cornas and (mmmmaybe) Franck Balthazar Cornas Chaillot. I just had a '95 Clusel Roch and it was firing on all sixes.

Oh and here’s a wild card you should look into: Bandol Tempier Cabassaou. It’s almost always built to age but apparently the 2015s are especially good.

This.

Chad I feel your “pain.” 2015 was my wedding anniversary so I stocked up as much as I can on German riesling (as I exclaimed above).

I’m also going long on some CA Zinfandel (got a half case of Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs, in addition to lots of Bedrock and Carlisle), Southern Rhône (Domain Saint-Damien Gigondas and their single vineyards, Beaucastel, Vieux Telegraphe, and Vieux Donjon CdP), and will likely be buying deep in 2015 Barolo as it sounds like this may be the best vintage since 2010.

I would be wary of expecting 14-16% CA Zin to age in any exciting or gratifying way. Have had many bottles from 88-97 of Ridge, Ravenswood SVD’s and while they were basically sound, they were hot and fairly roasted in flavor… Just my $0.02

Yeah I suppose for how long Chad wants to hold onto them they may go past prime. I’m keeping mine for 8-10 years before opening.

Well, lots of choices in Bordeaux … and Rhone !

Chateaunuf-du-Pape: Clos du Caillou Reserve
Baroche “Pure”
if anywhere available: Bois de Boursan (the regular and “Felix”) - greatest traditional bargain …
(I hesitate to write “Rayas” - it will be on the market only in 5-7 years)

Cote-Rotie Rostaing “La Landonne” and “Cote blonde” (and Jamet)
Hermitage Chave
many more …

Great input, much appreciated! Really 20+ would be my goal. It wasn’t until the past few years that I’ve gained appreciation for finer wines, so I like to be realistic that my children at 21 years old will be looking for a red solo cup to drink from rather than the appropriate vessel. That being said, my wife and I might be more incline to celebrate their births for them! LoL

I would like them to still be on the upswing, if possible. Personally I would rather be looking for more, than disappointed I missed the boat.

Chad, I’ve started laying down wine for my kids, as well. And there have been some interesting and useful threads about this topic.

Because I’m concerned about the same thing you are — my 21 yr old won’t be into aged BDX — I’m laying down mags of champagne. And I’ll buy the big houses when they release (my kids are ‘12, ‘14, ‘16). My thinking is that bubbles are always fun and perhaps more user-friendly for my kids as they reach milestones.

If my kid is any judge of what they will like at 21, it won’t be wine! I think these drinking age birthday Thoughts are a bit optimistic, but then again, perhaps it is really more for you and your spouse! I applaud that idea as well. Have a good six pack available for your son.

My daughter is also 2015 vintage :slight_smile: Since it was such a great year I’ve bought a LOT of long term wines. If she doesn’t like them that’s fine, more for us.

I bought some large formats including a couple 3L of BDX and Rhone. Some things won’t be close to ready in 2036, more like 2055 - d’Yquem, Prum GKA mags, etc. Lots of bottles will just be entering prime time in 20 years - just in time for my retirement.

As of now the wine is all mine, we’ll see where she’s at in 20 years. But she’ll definitely have some good options if she likes wine.

Don’t give up hope on the adaptability of youth. My 21 year old son (yes I agree 1996 was an excellent year!) loves and appreciates fine wine. Just took the appropriate education :slight_smile:. It began with a vacation in Italy when he was 16 and legal to drink with Dad. He had a glass of whatever I had in restaurants. A good start indeed.

Chad there are some great, classic styled California Cabs that will definitely deliver in 20+ years. Look no further than Napa Valley, but be careful. I would actually shy away from Insignia as its more in the ultra ripe category. I wasn’t that impressed, others were, I am just not a fan of that style.

As previously mentioned Corison is a strong candidate, just had the 2010 and although its only 7 years old, it should age gracefully for decades. Beautiful wine and seductively rich!

We had the 2002 Dunn Howell Mtn last month and my friend thought it was a 2012. It can easily go another 15+ years. No loss of fruit whatsoever, bright, deep and structured!

Forman, same thing, Excellent!

Many Pavelot Savigny’s all seem to have long life dates from reviewers (2045-2055). A case of this would be a good compliment to your supply. See many around $40-60 a bottle.

I saved Bordeaux for my niece and nephew. They have not been big fans of them. I wish I bought a few different varietals (Riesling, dessert, Cabernet).

Thanks!