Napa Sauv Blanc Pricing?

Curious what folks would spend on a Sauv Blanc from Napa/California. Just got an offering for a $125 Sauv Blanc.

Unless it’s Mondavi To Kalon, zilch :sunglasses:

5 Likes

$5k?

OK, you got me there. Many folks would spend that on SE Sauv Blanc, but alas I am not one. I’m old school in my thinking that white wines (with some exceptions) should never cross the $100/bottle threshold.

Or maybe it’s just that I love red wine so much that I would rather put my $$ there…

There are a lot of SB’s besides Screaming Eagle that sell SB at higher prices (and sell out). A few examples -

Dana Estate – 675.00
Futo - 275.00
Vineyard 29 - 195.00
Melka Makera - 145.00
Arkenstone - 125.00
Momento Mori - $110.00
Lail Georgia - 185.00
Adamvs -125.00
Marciano -149.00
Realm Fidelio - 130.00
Rudd estate (Mt. Veeder Estate) - 115.00
Seven apart - 125.00
Eisele - 120.00
Arietta - on the keys artist reserve - $110.00
Gamble - heart block - 100.00

There seems to be a lot of interest in the “super sauvignon” (Haut Brion blanc style) sauvignons over the last few years. Many are utilizing some new oak (40-100% new) and elevage resembling cabernet (16-22 months in barrel). Grape prices in Napa mixed with new oak and longer elevage it would be hard to make $$ at price points much less than $100.00

6 Likes

Not a big fan of this type of question. Just like the “is it worth it “ question .

All depends on what you like and how much you want to spend. Maybe $500 on a Napa Sauv Blanc is worth it to some but $100 on a Napa Cab Sauv isn’t.

3 Likes

I personally cap out at $65 (Tench) as far as regular purchases. Splurged before on Mondavi i Block at a higher rate.

2 Likes

Just bought the new Kinsman Eades SB (part SĂ©millon as well) at $85 per and am pretty damn excited about it!

6 Likes

Totally agree with your comment that what one person would spend, another might not (or see value in spending).

@D_Mowe, many of those wines you mention I’ve had and think they’re worth it (at their given price point) hence my comment about “with some exceptions”.

2 Likes

I did the same. Got 6 bottles in total.

2 Likes

Great minds :cheers:

1 Like

Same on Kinsman. I love Napa SB, but prices have been steadily creeping for a while now. I love Eisele SB, but after it went above 100 I had to drop. Most high end SB’s are 95 now. I love Realm’s SB as well, but if it goes above 100 I will probably have to drop it as well.

5 Likes

One only really needs to spend $34 to buy Massican’s Napa SB. The rest just bow down to its glory.

5 Likes

As mentioned in another thread…new Rudd Semillon at $295

1 Like

$295/bottle for a white wine that averages 92.7 points across all vintages on CellarTracker? Pass.

4 Likes

Ive had it. Its ok, but not great imo.

Them’s fightin’ words! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can buy some top Napa Cabs for that price from TK

Fair haha. I’ve only had it once. Maybe need to give it another go!

1 Like

$0.00

1 Like