Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard

Couldn’t find a thread dedicated to either island…
Any restaurants on either? Good wine lists or corkage-friendly a plus but I know there is also plenty of good beer in those parts. We are doing a short trip to both islands in June. Staying in downtown Nantucket and at the Winnetu, which I guess is closest to Edgartown, but we will rent a car.

Also any others rec for either island appreciated as well - we will be with our two kids.

The Vineyard is quirky. Oak Bluffs and Edgartown are the only towns where you can purchase alcohol at liquor stores (not supermarkets/gas stations)
BYO…all of these are “Up Island”
The Outermost Inn- Aquinnah, beautiful sunsets/views. They do serve some beer and wine. I believe they only do 3 course prix fixe for dinner. Reservations are a must.
Chilmark Tavern-Chilmark, Only BYOB. They open mid May
Catch the sunset in Menemsha. Bring a bottle of wine, grab some food from one of the fish markets and eat on the beach.
Visit the cliffs/lighthouse in Aquinnah.
Full service restaurants-no BYO allowed. Pretty sure you are not allowed to bring in any outside alcohol to restaurants with full liquor licenses. Below are some favorites from a retired bartender now on the retail side of the industry.
The Covington-Edgartown, creative small plates, great cocktails/wine list.
Atria- Edgartown
Alchemy-Edgartown
Bettini @ The Harborview Hotel Edgartown-views of the Edgartown lighthouse, extensive wine list (haven’t eaten here)
Detente-Edgartown
19 Raw-Edgartown
Maybe check out an oyster farm tour…Signature Oyster, Cottage City Oysters…they’re BYO
There’s also a few different sunset cruises out of Edgartown that are BYO…I’m sure the Winnetu will have info

The Sweet Life Cafe- Oak Bluffs, not a cafe at all…amazing food/wine/amaro selection. Great outdoor patio.
Red Cat Kitchen-Oak Bluffs
Offshore Ale-OB, family friendly, beer brewed on site.

Oak Bluffs has the Gingerbread Cottages. The oldest carousel in the country, The Flying Horses. A few tour companies are based out of OB also.
There are several restaurants on the harbor. Mostly fried seafood/frozen drink spots with nice views. Not a wine hot spot unfortunately.

Can’t help with that other island…Enjoy your trip!

1 Like

Quick report back.

Nantucket has a lot of great wine lists (not really older wine, but younger wines at good prices). We had a great dinner at VIa Mare (Venetian-ish) and a bottle of Roumier chambolle at around secondary prices.

The Vineyard wine lists were not nearly as exciting (though nearly everyone seems to have Hubert Lamy at good prices at least). Best meal was at the Covington. Beach Road came highly recommended but the food didn’t quite click for me - it was good but not great. The space is incredibly beautiful though with a great wide open view over an inlet, still worth a visit (and maybe I would order different). 19 Raw/19 Prime was excellent, no reservations, lovely little garden to sit in. We ate so many great oysters on the island - the best being at Nomans (a sort of beer garden), pulled out of the water in the morning and eaten at noon.