N. Rhone -- recent vintages

Come to NY sometime and we’ll drink Gonon!

So far Gonon, Stephan binardes (I was filling out a case and they had the 19 and some of the 18s…holy crap the abv on the 18s…easy pass), Gallet, and giving Merlin a try. I’m sure I’ll buy Levet and Sorrel at some point.

Guillaume Sorrel and his wife Julie plan to visit w me in Delaware in mid November. We will have a cool tasting event to show both the full range of hermitage 2019s, as well as a glimpse of some '18s and perhaps '17…
I’m pretty sure it will be their first time to the east coast.
Drank a few Pierres Seches '19s, impressive…haven’t cracked a 1930 yet, his new name for the Saint Epine old vine cuvee…looking forward to that big time.

Dont have to ask me twice!

Crush had the '19 Champet

That sounds like a good event. I have been enjoying some lovely bottles and magnums of 1998 Sorrel Greals this summer.

Reviving this thread as it seems the most appropriate place for this question.

Is 2 x 2019 Jamet Cote Rotie for $200 each a good buy or should I focus on something else if I have limited space/funds for wine currently? I already have two 2016 vintages of this bottling.

Don’t know about US, for Europe 200 is a bit high …
there are dozens of good CR-producers, depends on your preferences … Rostaing, Ogier, Jasmin, Clusel-Roch, Gallet, Champet, Gerin, Burgaud, Barge, Levet, Benetiere, Gangloff, Stephane …

May be smarter to go for a 2016 from another producer before getting steep on Jamet or just an older bottle that is ready to drink now.

A quick search shows $200 is on the lower end of average, though I don’t expect to be able to find it for much less than that in the future.

Fun to see this thread again. I bought some 2019 Jamet at $175 - if you really want the Jamet and have the time to cellar it, go for it!

Also I reviewed my 2019 purchases overall, and it is certainly growing in size despite my efforts to buy less:

2019 Mickaël Bourg Cornas Les P’tits Bouts Syrah
2019 Julien Cecillon Cornas Saint Pierre
2019 Guy Farge Cornas Reynard
2019 Guillaume Gilles Cornas
2019 Johann Michel Cornas Cuvée Mère Michel
2019 Domaine Barge Côte-Rôtie Coeur de Combard
2019 Domaine Barge Côte-Rôtie Les Cotes
2019 Domaine Chambeyron-Manin Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune
2019 Domaine Champet Côte-Rôtie Les Fils à Jo
2019 Domaine Champet Côte-Rôtie La Viallière
2019 Domaine Gallet Côte-Rôtie
2019 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie
2019 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie Améthyste

I’ll be all over the Cuchet-Beliando Cornas when that becomes available, and probably more Levet as well.

4 Likes

I’m only 25, so we got nothing but time. Its space and money that is the issue!

3 Likes

Where did you find '19 Barge Cote Roties? Jealous!

Great list Zach! Have you by any chance tasted the 2017 Cuchet-Beliando now that you mention it? :grin:

For Jamet. Go for it. It really is the pinnacle of Côte-Rôtie (for me that is).

1 Like

I got the 2019 Barges from Lyle Fass.

I have not tried the 2017 Cuchet-Beliando Cornas - I sent it all off to storage. I have tried the 2016, which is aces.

2 Likes

That’s quite a list of 2019!

I’ve cut back a smidge on Northern Rhônes - have quite a bit from 2009-16, and was not a fan of 2018, but in 2019 have grabbed:

Gonon St Joe
Gonon Iles Feray
Gerard Cotie Rotie
Gerard Cotie Rotie Le Mollard
Gerard St Joe La Blanchard
Levet Les Journaries
Levet La Chavaroche

I think that could be it, but starting t get all my winter shipments now. Do need to grab Jamet, agree is best of class in Cotie Rotie.

1 Like

Thanks. I can buy the 2017 now, but i am low on money and Francois Dumas Saint-Joseph is also dropping at the moment… damn choices!

I might get some Gerard Cote-Rotie. I drank my one bottle of the 2019 Gerard Le Mollard - big and burly, and impressive too.

Any views on 2020 vintage?

I should add that I am a relative N. Rhone “newbie”, having picked up some since 2015 vintage (still to young). Have enjoyed a few 2000’s I have tried from Jamet and Levet for example.

Small harvest due to drought and heat. More “classic” and “balanced” than the solar '18 and '19s. More variable depending on region than '15 and '16. '19 is probably better for aging–but bigger. JLL compared it most to 2003.