N. Rhone -- recent vintages

Some of those will be picked up Monday :wink:

It’s pretty awesome

1 Like

As my people say రెండు తప్పులు సరైనవి కావు, which can be translated as ‘many injustices do not make everybody just’

I think they are comparable to a large extent, with 2015s in general having the most acidity and structure and 2018s being blockier and less immediately charming. I’m bullish on 2015 for the long haul.

1 Like

I bought and drank a 2018 Mickael Bourg Cornas in San Francisco this past week - no formal notes, but wow, what a wine. Bourg is maybe the most exciting young producer in Cornas, the quality is so good and unadulterated, just pure soulful Syrah goodness.

1 Like

Totally agree Zach, especially given my first wine of his was an 18 (which in my opinion is a really difficult vintage to make wine that fits my palate anyway) and I was completely blown away. I immediately bought a ton more.

Same. I ordered another 4 bottles this morning. :slight_smile: I’ve got a nice little 2015-19 vertical growing.

Do you know if he adds any SO2?

I am unsure. Here’s some technical information from Livingston-Learmonth:

60% 1950s Syrah, 40% 2004-05 Syrah, whole bunch fermentation, 3 week vinification, pumping overs at first, then a lot of cap punching, aged 4-8 year 228-litre oak casks, plus 1 used 400-litre & 1 used 500-litre oak cask 16-18 months, unfined, unfiltered, heavy bottle, 2,700 b

1 Like

Thanks. Was just wondering with his connection to Matthieu Barret. I like these Sans Soufre wines a lot, but i won’t buy too many bottles as the mouse-rate in Sans Soufre wines has been too large for me.

I have detected no mousiness in Bourg’s wines - phew!

1 Like

I’m wading into 2019 a bit more now. Bought some 2019 Champet Côte-Rôtie La Viallière today to add to the Mickael Bourg Cornas, Domaine Gallet Côte-Rôtie, and Johann Michel Cornas Cuvée Mère Michel I’ve already purchased. Anyone else?

From top of my head I have only P. Gonon for '19 so far.

1 Like

I reported on the other thread that I bought J-M Stephan Binardes yesterday. Hasn’t arrived yet. I couldn’t stomach the price on Gonon a few days ago (or initial offer a while back) so I passed.

You got me curious Jayson. How much was the offer for?

The Gonon? $137.

I’ve written off buying Gonon. The last vintage I bought was 2016. Typically, after hearing from others that they had already bought theirs, I would email Chambers Street Wines if I could buy some. That usually worked, and the prices were very fair, but I just got tired of asking. I love the wines but there are other wines I love, too, and I’d rather have the Mickael Bourg or Champet wines at half the price of Gonon.

wine.com had 19 Gonon for $99 on Tuesday and by Wednesday they were all gone. It was a good price. I’ve never had it and still couldn’t pull the trigger. In all honesty I can’t recall a wine mentioned more in the spectrum of “is it worth it?”

1 Like

I bit on this week’s offer of the old vine Crozes from The Greek. Also ordered Jacouton, Luyton, and Rousset in ‘19, plus a couple of Clusel-Roch (but shut out for Grandes Places). Bought Bourg in ‘17 and Champet in ‘18 (and ‘15), but haven’t seen or at least haven’t bit on either in ‘19. Some of my Champet ‘18 was supposed to be ‘16, but they ran out and substituted and I kept it rather than mess with returning it.

Have you tried any Gallet recently? How have you find them? I haven’t tried one from them in probably 15 years.

Recent Gallets have been great. These are classic wines, no spoof. I love the 2010, 2011 and 2012, the 2015 seems very promising, and I have bought every vintage from 2010 to 2019. Keith L. flipped for the 2017, that’s a good sign in my book.

I have a small clutch of 1999 and 2000; I think Jayson and I have a loose plan to do a 1999-2001 vertical some day.

I haven’t really clicked with the Luyton wines; good but not special IMO. I should buy some Rousset, the Picaudières is always outstanding.

2 Likes