Myriad 2012 - built to last?

My shipment arrived today and I felt like my giddy little 10-year-old self on Christmas morning from long ago. Geeked out hard when I saw the Elysian label. Very quickly laid them down to rest, but for how long?

Curious to hear thoughts about the age-worthiness of Myriad cabs. I’m sure this topic has been discussed before, just asking.

These wines drink well with air, but don’t even try that with Elysian though.
The reg Napa is good now, the designates maybe a few hours popped.

They should all be good contenders for 4-7 years cellar-time save for the Elysian. That should be 10+
Enjoy.

If the Elysian is not drinkable now, will it be a 120 point wine down the road?

[cheers.gif]

When I tasted the Elysian with Mike it was amazing. I think I will open one soon I am sure it will happen during the holidays.

The Three Twins needs some time to integrate. The NV, G3 and Crane are great with just a bit if air and only get better. The Elysian deserves patience but I wouldn’t blame you if you popped one early. Just so good.

Each year I generally drink through all the Napa Valley bottles first, then the GIII, then the Three Twins, and save the Dr. Crane for last. I’m sure they would all age well, but they are so good young that I see no reason to wait long.

Based on my sense memory of other wines that have aged well, the Mike Smith wines share those aspects.

The '12 Three Twins will need a bit more time than normal.

I’ve got two of the Myriad Dr. Crane’s coming. Should I just let them sleep and then allocate them to my two sons in my will? I only got one Elysian, so I can’t split it between them. I guess I’ll have to live longer so I can enjoy that myself. I always wanted a 120 point wine.

Just opened a 2012 Myriad Napa at Mike P’s suggestion. All I have to say is…

Holy S#*%. This is the best blind wine purchase I’ve ever made.

The appellations are just perfect now. The rest of my 6-pack are the more expensive wines, though. If they are in the same style, and I hope they are, I see no reason to age them. Probably in a month I’ll pop another.

Nice, Nick, nice.

Based on what everyone is saying, I can’t wait for them to show up. I got half my allocation across the board except going all in on the NV. Can’t wait to pop one.

Got mine yesterday, these went immediately to the bottom rack for a long sleep. Will check in 4-5 years.

Same here - 3 Elysians, bottom rack, nighty nite…

Ditto!!!

Never have it made a purchase where I almost immediately regretted not maxing out my allocation…

Visited Mike Smith in Napa yesterday and he generously sold me a bunch of '12 Three Twins so I was able to remedy my mistake. The taste he poured of the same wine was simply unreal. And a couple of other Myriads (and Quivets) were no slouches also. Comparing Galloni’s puzzling takes on these wines versus Parker’s reinforces my opinion of who is and isn’t qualified to review Napa Cab…

Niiiice!

Hey Nick,

I’m curious what else you tasted? Were they other '12s or '13 barrel samples? Any updates are much appreciated.

Andy

Nick, you’re killing me.

I was hoping to forget about these cabs for awhile, but now i need to pop another of the NV this weekend. I want to give it some air this time, as I never do properly get to spend any time with myriad wines. As soon as they’re popped, the crowd devours them.

Maybe I just need a new set of friends :slight_smile: