My first Mexican wine...

Great thread. A former chef from noma opened a spot in Guadalajara . Tasting menu with some Mexican wines in the pairings, better than expected and the food was dynamite.

Read the fine print…

4DFEE035-B463-4BEE-A96A-08367ACF5F6A.jpeg

Any truth to there being a slight salinity tinge to the wines? Read the expansion of wineries led to water issues in the Valle de Guadalupe but who knows if it’s true.

1 Like

What part of Baja?

I’m in Baja as I write this. My favorite Mexican wine is mezcal.

2 Likes

Today, San Jose del Cabo. Friday on to Todos Santos for a week. We enjoyed La Paz already.

Mark, if you’re in La Paz find Mucho Gusto.

Sweet mother of God, wonderful Mezcal.

1 Like

Glenn, if you haven’t gone yet and like a good hunk of cow, check out Choriarte in downtown San Jose. We’ve been twice already this trip and will be going back on Sunday. Argentine ‘cowboy’ ribeye for two.

1 Like

Going tomorrow night!

Scott Manlin also recommended the excellent Carbon Cabron, another meat centric restaurant 15 minutes south of San Jose, as well as very good modern Mexican cooking at Lumbre in downtown San Jose. Very good food around these parts. Enjoy your vacation!

Great timing on this! We’re heading to Cabo end of July and I’ve been looking at restaurant wines lists. Anything U.S. or French seems very pricey so was figuring we’d try some Mexican wines.

We’ll be in Cabo San Lucas with just one day/night in San Jose with dinner at Fiora Farms. Some reservations at some places closer to the port like Farallon, La Roca, Sur.

Our cruise stopped in Ensenada back in 2019. We went on wine tours by Josh. https://bajavino.com/ He took us to some great wineries when we were there and a seafood restaurant (La Concheria) in Ensenada that was excellent. Out favorite stop was Cava Maciel.

Turley made a wine from Baja grapes a while back that was OK, and I’ve tasted a few other Mexican wines. Not to cast shade, but my advice would be to shop for California and French wines at the Cabo Costco. Or drink beer.

I did a day trip to the Valle in 2019. It’s beautiful, modern and rustic at once with some nice places. An outdoor lunch at Finca Altazano was excellent. Good lost of local wines to try. The whites in the region can be bracingly salty, in the best way. So many reds seem like they’re trying to hard to be big and bold, but I would return and investigate further. Casa Magoni wines were pretty good.

Nido, at the Viceroy in SJdC was a lovely, light on its feet meal. Priced very fairly as well.

L.A. Cetto makes a good Nebbiolo.

1 Like

I’ll second Adobe Guadalupe. They make some outstanding red blends.

I’ve found that pretty frequently. I used to sell a good swath of Baja wines and I found that to be a consistent flavor

Ditto. I noticed the saltiness as well.

Carbon Cabron looks good but wine selection limited.

7FEDD224-9B3E-4A21-9BAC-C17886AA33F8.jpeg