My 1st retailer cold call

Sounds like IWM. The “portfolio manager” line was great.

[winner.gif]

http://www.iwmstore.com/Portfolio-Management_2;jsessionid=0a01074e1f43fa2b6a373c964192b9ff88dae414ee4c.e3eTaxeKbh0Te34Pa38Ta38PbNj0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh…they have silly prices.

Three days later…no email, no certificate.

Guess I should have taken the PM option. [oops.gif]

Oh, THAT’s funny: we’re gonna get you the tiny production great stuff but here are some pictures of Sassicaia and Gaja!!!

At least they know the market for that stuff…

got a cold call from tor kenward today. on the list, never purchased any wine from them. They were selling some 07’s and library three packs. I love how they always say “only a few cases left”. Well if the wines are selling so well and there are only a few cases left, why are you calling me?

times must be tough

Imagine how many of these type of calls we get as retailers every day. I jut received an e-mail from a winery, they are getting ready to release their '06, huh ! The e-mail says because we have been loyal customers/retail, they are offering the wine for $40 off a 6 pack.

Loyal? We haven’t bought there wine since 2003. [scratch.gif]

Are you kidding me? Do you know who you are? You name is world renown. Your photo hangs in every winery’s tasting room through-out the free world, and some…no so free. You are Tyler Rico–the guy who does that cooking show on the cooking channel, no?

Oh, snap, thats Tyler Florence, never mind.

I got the same call a couple weeks ago and let it go to voicemail. He called back today and I bought some '07 BTK because I was in a good mood and I like their wines, so sometimes it does work!

Anniversary wine! :wink:

They right near Beth Israel, right? I had a Dr. appt there about a month ago. Parked and walked by it and thought “Oh, this is the IWM”. Walked in and saw the beautifully set up wines…thought “Uh oh”. Checked the prices as a nice looking young lady came over to assist me. After a few “Checked prices”…I walked out laughing.

Does the “portfolio manager” also give stock market investing advice? If you want to play with them, ask them if they’re a licensed Registered Investment Advisor. When they say no, or that they don’t know what that is, tell them you’ll have to report them to the SEC…

That should stop the cold calls…

Bruce

What are they trying to unload, and at what prices?

Thanks.

I have had a couple of calls from them recently. I have been polite - “sorry I am in the middle of surgery - can I get back to you?” (seriously)

“We notice you have a vertical of Sassicaia and thought you might want to keep it going”

(ok, I bought some splits of 04 and a Mag of 03 a couple of years back - gave most of the wine to my accountant who likes the wine more than I do - still have the mag - I wouldn’t really call this a vertical)

“Sorry I can’t talk but just send me an email”

Get email - prices suck - worse than a few years back when they were more competitive.

Few days later - another phone call - “sorry, seeing a patient right now”

Well, you get the picture. Maybe I just need to quit the damn day job…so I have more time to talk.

$50 Burgundy. [stirthepothal.gif]

Took me a second to catch on, but then I LOL’ed.

In all seriousness, though, Tor Kenward makes a Syrah, in the general vicinity of $50, which has gotten some monster scores from Tanzer & Parker.

I’d like to see that one discounted to $35…

me, too–and I once bought a mixed case of crap there that I didn’t want just so I might get a bit better future offerings–then that dude leaves them and I get cold-called by someone else wanting to take over and sell me stuff at inflated prices who knows nothing of my history.
alan

Dude, you know more about Burgundy than any possible wine salesman on the planet [at least this side of Aubert de Villaine].

If I were a salesman tasked with cold-calling you on Burgundy, then I’d be sweating bricks.

I love the salesman at “Total Wine” who looked at me condescendingly when I asked where the Burgundies were, as I stood in the Bordeaux aisle, and he educated me by saying, “Burgundy is in Bordeaux.”
aaln