Must eats Singapore?

Not yet. Maybe going wed

Love this type of food. Def on short list.

Everyone else, thx for crab recs. ill be super crabby with all the crab I’m going to eat!!!

Charlie, make sure you catch up with Paul Seah.

Unfortunately no wine meet ups allowed. With the wife. She barely tolerates me posting on this board right now :wink:.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Hey i suggested going ‘local’… but if the wife objects to posting to a wine forum, i’m guessing the tour guide is outta the question…

If your wife is at all a foodie, the Indian cuisine in Little India in Singapore is amazing. Moreover a walk in the neighborhood reveals some truly magnificent architecture.

alright! recap food wise :smiley:.

landed, went to dinner at Straits Kitchen in the Grand Marriot. A buffet. My friend had another guest in town that was on a very… american suburb diet, so throwing her into the thick of things wasn’t gonna hack it. So we did a buffet. It gave us exposure to a lot of what singapore had to offer food wise. Pretty good for a buffet. Read online it’d be about $40. Picked up the check and it was over $70 after tax tip. Eek. Not worth $70 with the only seafood being Chili Crab. Regardless, ate like a fatty. They did have herbal chicken soup with abalone, black chicken and scallops, which is a pretty pricey dish typically.

Breakfast was at the hawker stands across the street from my friend’s flat. Had me some Roti coins which were delicious at 7am in the morning. Had Kaya bread and a milk tea as well.

The wife and I then headed toward the aquarium with a few stops inbetween. We got off at the Chinatown subway stop and immediately ran into the People’s Park Food Centre. It smelled so good so we took a quick walk around. Around 40+ hawker stands with all kinds of delicious looking food. Saw a line of probably 45 people in front of one stand so we had to do it.

Poy Kee Yong Tau Foo. (the store’s name is Poy Kee, YTF is the only dish they serve). Stuffed silken tofu with meat, fish balls, fish cake, some glass noodles in a broth. Delicious and simple. Worth the line. While my wife waited in line, I wandered around for other goodies. Had fresh soybean milk with watermelon juice, a combo I’ve never tried and found really good. She grabbed a few egg tarts then we wandered off to find Maxwell Road Food Center which was on Anthony BOurdain’s show.

Walked around lost for a few minutes (a hour) and finally found it. probably 25% smaller than People’s Park and not as much diversity in dishes. Lots of Hainan Chicken rice places which is what he ate… specifically at Tian Tain Chicken Rice which is “supposedly” the best one in Singapore. Kathy waited in line (common trend) while I walked around. Saw a sign for Ahn Tain chicken rice, which is the ex chef from Tain Tain. Decided we should do a comparison.

Apparently all white meat tastes the same when made like this. So does the dark meat. I LOVED the rice from Ahn Tain tho. Really deep chicken flavor and slightly sticky. Best rice I’ve had with Hainan chicken. The soup at Tian Tian was superior tho, great umami flavor.

Still hungry, I wanted to try a fish dish. Saw a long line at one stop for Jin Hua Sliced Fish Bee Hoon. Basically deeply concentrated (read milky white) fish broth with sliced fish, bok choy and noodles. Just wow good. I’ve never had such rich broth from fish. Really impressed.

Did a little shopping, hopped on the subway and headed to the SEA aquarium. After a boring few hours we headed to No Signboard seafood at Esplande. Before I discuss the food I have to talk about why this restaurant is on my list of do not goes. So while we were waiting for our 5th person to arrive, within the span of 5 minutes, 5-6 waitresses came up to us to ask if we wanted drinks. We kept telling them to wait for our last person. Finally when our last person came we can’t flag anyone down to place our orders. My friend explains to his non-asian friend that this is pretty typical for Chineseplaces, bad service. I tend to agree in the sense that it’s not bad, just they don’t really come to you unless you ask. But this place… we asked for rice about 4 times. Asked for a fork another 4 times. Asked for water refills countless times. And they never came. I got up and grabbed a fork and water myself and had to flag down a manager for rice. Ridiculous. I just looked at reviews of the place and every single review I’ve read talks about how awful the service is.

Food on the other hand was quite good. Giant Sri Lanka crab, which have super meaty/juicy bodies but small legs. Did it white pepper style and chili crab. Did Cereal Prawns which are these monstrous prawns (spot prawn size) that were fried and coated in an almost honey walnut crunch cereal.

After doing some more touristy things, we went to the Roti Prata House for dessert. I had one with condensed milk and my friend and my wife shared one stuffed with ice cream. Both delicious. Wish we had more prata places in LA :smiley:.

For breakfast we went to some far away (40 min taxi ride) hawker center that my friend grew up eating at. Had stir fried radish cake, tempura sweet potato, laksa, rice cakes, chow fun. All pretty meh.

Pretty much captures my experience :smiley:

If anyone has any updates (new restaurants) for this list I’d appreciate it. We’ll be in Singapore early September. We’ll be staying in Chinatown.

Thanks!

Charlie, sounds like you hardly had time to sleep for all the eating. I won’t ask about weight gain… :slight_smile:

I killed MBS. Had the obligatory hawker still tour, etc., but MBS is Vegas, all crammed into one hotel. Hit up Boloud’s place there (Bistro Moderne) and sat at the bar. Just obliterated everything in sight, including their madelines, which were insanely good. Not the chili crab link you were hoping for, but the food was great :smiley:

Note - if you’re at the MBS, the pool is great, but the cocktails are ridiculously expensive ($36 Sing Dollars for a bloody mary). But man, the view…

Mike Grammer mentioned Mozaic at an offline in NYC. Anytime there’s a second mention of a restaurant, that means it’s a go. Funny that I found that in a SIN thread, and not Bali.

In anticipation of our trip to Singapore, Benjamin C sent me this list. Hope it helps anyone searching.
Here are some food recommendations for Singapore:

Food Recommendations:

Explore street food at Old Airport Hawker Center all-in one, I’m sure you’ll find other stores there that are as good beside these ones
Nam Sing Hokkien Mee - #01-32 (Chinese style seafood noodles)
Lao Fu Zi Friew Kway Teow - #01-12 (Chinese style dark soy sauce noodles)
Toa Payoh Rojak - #01-108 (Chinese salad, sweet and sour)
Albert Street Prawn Noodles - #01-10 (Prawn noodles soup/dry)

Taste authentic malay food (Order a mix array of dishes to share with rice, definitely get the mutton redang, fried fish, eggplant with chilli, curry soup noodles - sayur lodeh. If you’re there, go have coffee at the suggested place below, super unique style Singapore coffee pulled through a sock method)
Warong Nasi Paraman - 738 North Bridge Rd (Malay food)
Teh Tarik Shop - 21 Baghdad Street (Must try malay/singapore style pulled coffee)

Chicken rice and fish soup @ Maxwell Food Centre
Tian Tian Chicken Rice
Jin Hua Fish Soup - #01-77 Maxwell Food Centre

Good indian food (I would suggest exploring Dempsey hill before eating there, walk around the area, and maybe have tea/coffee at P.S Cafe @ Dempsey Hill before dinner)
Samy’s Curry Restaurant - 25 Dempsey Road

Best Laksa (curry noodles) in Singapore/maybe the world
Sungei Road Laksa - Jln Besar

If you want to try some really good chinese food that isn’t at street/hawker vendors, here are some places to check out
Imperial Treasures Peking Duck (one of my favorite chinese restaurants in Singapore, hands down the best Peking Duck in Singapore, and possibly even on par with those in Beijing. Reserve in advance for the duck)
Palm Beach Singapore (Super Chilli crab and seafood by the river facing Marina Bay Sands)

Higher end restaurant to try (I suggest don’t bother since you only have 2 days there, just eat all the local food if you can)
Odette
Nouri
Cheek by Jowl
Jaan
Candlenut
Meta

Candlenut is very good. The hawker stalls are fun and tasty. The food at the Four Seasons is very good too. We had Chili crab there because we couldn’t get out. An amazing dish was made for us at the Four Seasons. I didn’t enjoy the Tiffen Room at Raffle’s. The recs from Dan above look really great.

“Relax,” said the night man.
“Try the Chili Crab.”

Hope this list helps, and that you will be able to try some of the recommendations listed.
Have a great trip to Singapore and Bali, Dan! champagne.gif

It was my niece that recommended this Michelin place. We went for lunch at the 335 Smith location in Chinatown. Very easy to find since Singapore Chinatown doesn’t have the maze of streets New York does. Cheap and delicious. Take a look > World's cheapest Michelin-star meal? Go to Singapore | CNN

That’s great, glad you enjoyed it! But how long did you queue for it? And yes it is indeed the cheapest michelin meal you can get in the world haha.

10 minute line, and about 10 minutes waiting to get the food. On the way out, we saw some people that ordered multiple dishes.

Was it the best chicken I’ve ever eaten, well at those prices > Yes.