Mosel/Riesling

We are going to Germany in August and will spend a day or two driving through Mosel Valley for some Riesling tastings. Any can’t miss wineries or restaurants. Thanks.

For food Die Mosel in Traben-Trarbach is my favorite.

Markus Molitor is a nice winery visit if you only have time for one or two.

For something more traditional Zeltinger Hof has an incredible wine list with many old bottles.

Get the Mosel Fine Wines Visitors guide:

1 Like

I also recommend Die Mosel in Traben-Trarbach.

In Trier, I like to go to Yong Yong, which is only open for breakfast and lunch now.

Both restaurants have a great selection of Mosel Riesling.

As for can’t-miss wineries, I’d try to make an appointment at Weiser-Künstler, which is very close to Die Mosel.

On my site, a subscriber asked me about tips for first-timers on the Mosel. It’s outdated, but it might be helpful to you.

1 Like

I was not sure if Weiser-Künstler took appointments. I would certainly highly second that recommendation. In fact you could park you car, stay at the Bellevue (pro trick you can order wine from the restaurant in the Bar), taste at Martin Mullen, Weiser-Künstler and eat at Die Mosel without ever driving. That would be an incredible day!

I like recommending Markus Molitor for people new to the Mosel with limited time because it is easy to reserve, open I think 7 days a week, and you get to try a lot of wines.

1 Like

This is all very helpful. Thank you.

My pleasure. Ideally, you would have two appointments per day: one in the morning and another in the afternoon. You’d have less stress and more time per producer.

Robert’s suggestion to stay at Jugendstilhotel Bellevue is an excellent one. As he wrote, you could walk from the four-star Jugendstilhotel Bellevue to Martin Müllen, Weiser-Künstler, and Die Mosel. They are all in the same section of Traben, which is on the left bank of the Mosel. The longest walk is only 5 minutes from Bellevue to Die Mosel.

I’d also recommend Mosel Wine for your trip.