Morris/Suckling on Burgundy

it’s just a joke avatar that Mark B made. There was a thread where I said I wished I dressed as well as a hipster (someone was talking about youths not drinking wine, someone brought up hipsters drinking juru etc etc)

I have the Morris Jasper Inside Burgundy iBook on my iPad. I forgot what I paid for it but I really like it. If I recall correctly it seemed as if there was a special deal for the iVersion but I can’t remember what it was. It has three books really, Cote de Beaune, Cotes de Nuits & The Annual Report 2012/2013. In the annual report there are snapshots of growing seasons and impressions of the vintage covering the entire century with more detail in the more recent vintages. Also some interactive tasting notes.

Both the Cotes books are very thorough and you can drill down into the interactive app to see maps, read about vineyards and get info on producers. I’m still discovering all the interactive possibilities and am marveling at the depth of presentation.

I think this is only available through iTunes. A quick check and the price for Beaune is 24.99 & Nuits is 12.99. Current Annual Report for sale is 2014 for 14.99.

Great book on the iPad! [cheers.gif]

The first 90 pages or so about the History of Burgundy and the winemaking tehniques and what they mean as well as the last part about appreciating Burgundy as well the “understanding vintages” part where he goes through 2009 through 1970 in detail and then less detail for the 60s and all the way back to 1900.

I just picked up the Jasper Morris WEIGHTY tome Inside Burgundy - HOLY SHIT it is HUGE - 656 pages and it weighs I kid you not 4 lbs 6.5 oz… almost as heavy as my Chambers dictionary of Etymology (4 lbs 11 oz.). This is clearly something you don’t just pick up and read cover to cover but peruse when researching vineyards, techniques or obscure items on Burgundy. I think the ipad app is a nice addition but you do pay for the Cote de Beaune (24.99) and Cote De Nuits ($12.99) separately…

The book had a leaflet advertising the ibooks and a quote from Wineberserkers Forums (USA) “I have the book, but love reading on my iPad. First look, this is really incredible. Tons of maps, videos and really user friendly. Best ebook I’ve ever seen as far as wine education goes, hands down.”

I actually found it a book to read “cover to cover” when it came out-- and did. That’s why I vouch for it as the best book on “Burgundy” I know of…by far. Almost no other book, except Parker’s-- a long time ago-- so motivated me to read it “cover to cover”. (I think I probably read Remington Norman’s first book when it came out in the early '90s the same way.)

But…for me, the Morris book is both one to read and one to use for “research”.

A Meadows’ most recent book is a pretty good cover to cover read. Though the subject is that largely overlooked commune of Vosne, there’s some pretty decent general region info in the first few pages.

WE MADE IT!