More reasons to hate FedEx

It depends on whether it’s a company store or a different arrangement. For example, there’s a local office supply place that is also a “store” for both FedEx and UPS. They won’t hold packages. I never knew about Walgreens, but that’s not owned by FedEx obviously, so I wouldn’t expect them to hold wine. In some states they’re allowed to sell it - maybe that’s why some will hold it, but I can’t imagine they’d be happy to store large packages for people.

And for UPS, it depends on where they are in the hierarchy of UPS places. Some are just shipping centers whereas others more like depots that will accept packages as well - those are more likely to have holding space.

I’ve learned that it pays to call around to the various locations and ask if the specific location will accept delivery. Sometimes it’s just a local manager who doesn’t know, other times it’s company policy but not FedEx’s or UPS’s policy, and other times it’s the policy of one of them but only applicable to that particular location based on what it’s supposed to be.

And it also pays to be friendly with neighbors who are retired or homemakers, and even businesses that aren’t related in any way - there was a hardware store that used to accept some boxes for me because I was a good customer and we became friendly.

And some of us are able to take deliveries at work.

Good luck with this though!

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more likely I am to just drop every winery that uses FedEx, and let them know that’s why.

funny, I already did that for those that use UPS.

Ive actually ended up having both FedEx and UPS shipments just sent directly to either the UPS distribution center or to the FedEx office. Ive always had good luck with getting it delivered to the FedEx stores, and they’re open longer hours AND Saturdays.

Thankful for being in a small office that doesn’t mind my wine habit. Just slip the receptionist a few bottles every know and then and she’ll get the delivery person to wheel the case all the way back to my office.

My current issue is the new DTC permit in Oklahoma is ironically giving smaller wineries fits. It’s finally legal to have wine shipped in and I still can’t get it from everyone.

This will never go away unless there is only one shipping company and if that happens, that company will dictate how, what, where and when anything gets delivered. Several states have sued UPS and FedEx for delivering wine that hasn’t been taxed by that state and the states continue to harass UPS and FedEx to eliminate non taxed shipments. As a retailer, we can legally ship to 14 states. Wineries paying taxes via compliance, 38 to 42 depending who you ask.

A case of wine shipped anywhere is supposed to require a signature, at extra cost. A case of wine shipped to a residence and requiring a signature is an additional cost. A case of wine shipped to a business is automatically signed for at no additional cost.

Is there a reason you can’t ship to your or your wife’s place of employment? Got a friend or relative who owns a business you bribe with one of those 12 bottles.

Also have a UPS hub a couple miles from my Home, super convenient to put a hold on a shipment. Blankiet actually offered to ship my order ups if I preferred. Thought that was excellent customer service.

Same here. I divert all FedEx shipments to our local Fedex/Kinkos never had a problem with many dozens of shipments over the years. I’ve never had to call them once. I click-hold at local Fedex/Kinkos and it always works, even better is they are open 24/7. UPS is whole another can of worms… Seldomly easy and often quite challenging… Just last week they lost my Thomas Pinot and delivered it to the wrong suite in our office. Never to be seen again. Some lucky soul got some damn good Oregon pinot. Tried to redirect package today. 10 minutes on the web and 20 minutes on phone and I think they corrected the wrong address the winery put on my package. Not sure how this even happens since my address on their website is correct but the package is wrong.

Sean

At some UPS stores if you rent a mailbox they will hold large packages at no additional charge. I don’t recall the cost but if 4 or 5 people share the annual rent is not very much, especially spread over multiple shipments. Check to be sure they are ok with receiving wine first, as some franchises are weird about it even if legal in your state.

Never been charged to hold a package at the ups hub in San Ramon. I’ve been tracking my Realm Fedex shipment to San Francisco. First day from Napa to Pacheco. Second day to Oakland, third day to San Francisco hub, where it is now. Hopefully it will make it my Wife’s work by 6, before she leaves

My local Walgreen’s is happy to receive and store wine shipments. They even cleared out some space in one of their refrigerated coolers to hold the wine. I’m guessing they’re not holding any single package more than a few days, though. I’m sure their attitude would change if someone left a package for weeks or longer.

5 business days is the hold max, then it’s returned to sender.

Yep 5 days.

Update, FedEx is telling the shipper that they cannot make a change. So nobody can fix the issue.

Another reason to maybe love FedEx is that I recently learned they have a vacation hold option good for 14 days. Didn’t know that, recently used that option when I was gone and the 5 business day hold at location wasn’t going to work. You do have to have a FedEx account, and you manage from Delivery Manager. And I say maybe because I’m not sure of the storage at my local Fedex locations. Need to check them out, one location for home/ground, one for express.

shipping is most definitely the worst part of my wine habit. it makes me nervous and anxious every time.